ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors basketball alphabet missing I & Q

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Teabag
Veteran
And1: 13

Raptors basketball alphabet missing I & Q 

Post#1 » by Teabag » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:06 pm

The quote "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" by Mark Twain or Albert Einstein or Benjamin Franklin or some random nobody who knows, can almost 100% be linked to this team with the exception of the word "insanity" being changed to stupidity. Over and Over I watch Jamario Moon jump at every pump fake, Chris Humphries brick wide open jump shots (you're open for a reason), Jason Kapono and Andrea Bargnani travel the same way each time, Will Solomon commit the same foul over and over and complain about it and the list goes on. Watching Jason Kapono shoot contested jumpers late in games and can most of them but in the 1st 47 minutes needs to have the closest defender 10 feet away drives my nuts we have guys that shouldn't do it and we have guys that should and hey Solomon guess which side you're on? Shoot the f'n ball Kapono!. Everyone knows the mental bed **** Joey Graham does nightly but more and more I'm noticing it spreading through the team like the flu. Not even the beloved Chris Bosh is spared. He will comment after games how he has to remind himself not to settle for jumpers but than game after game go out and start with jumpers. Now I know if he hits the 1st few it just opens everything else but when they're missing and he continues to fire and is then seen punching himself in the head on D maybe he should share some of those shots for the other chuckle heads IMO it's not our talent or coach(s) holding us back it's the glazed eyed, slack jawed, giant sack of DUH! that everyone's been hit with. you can teach skills but feel and basketball IQ are born in and this team is lacking a lot of it. Solution? ... Hell if I know but starting with not doing the things that haven't worked for you would be a start ... as the wise Jerry Seinfeld said about George Lewis Costanza "if every instinct you had was wrong than the opposite would have to be right"
SuigintouEV
General Manager
And1: 1,555

Re: Raptors basketball alphabet missing I & Q 

Post#2 » by SuigintouEV » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Defenively, only JO and AP really have IQ on this team, and both have the bodies of 40 year olds.
Offensively, AP, Roko, Jose, AB, Bosh all have solid IQ. Most of them are lacking in the physical tools department or instincts, though.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Derekman
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Derekman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:15 pm

The problem we have us defensively. the only player on this team with defensive IQ is JO, followed by gasp Bargs, followed by Roko. That is depressing that our third and fourth best players defensively are a "soft" centre and a rookie backup point guard from Croatia. Parker doesn't know how to stick to shooters, Bosh constantly underrates the man he's guarding, Moon bites at every fake, and Jose is just stupid.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#4 » by Pchu » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:17 pm

It's not the player's IQ. I think it has to do with the coach's strategy.

I hate the Switch everything mentality. It's stupid. On Wed, you have Bargnani/Bosh guarding Rose, and Rose scoring at will. Bosh was guarding Nash, and Nash scored.
PictureLock
Junior
And1: 56

Post#5 » by PictureLock » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:20 pm

This post missing paragraphs & indents.
joeyt618
Rookie
And1: 569

Post#6 » by joeyt618 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:40 pm

The "swich on everything" philosophy is starting to get on my nerves too. I can't keep count on how many times I've seen Andrea guard the opposing PG at the top of the key. When you have your bigs guarding the smalls and everyone else scrambling, you're bound to lose out on a lot of rebounds.

Triano isn't stupid though. He knows it's effective to have your players stick to their man, with a few occassional switches, but we simply lack the players that can do that.

It's like comparing a gifted class, and a special ed class. The gifted can learn on their own and work on their own. The latter class, however, yields the best results when helping each other... although mostly with limited results.
dirtybird
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#7 » by dirtybird » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:36 pm

SuigintouEV wrote:Defenively, only JO and AP really have IQ on this team, and both have the bodies of 40 year olds.
Offensively, AP, Roko, Jose, AB, Bosh all have solid IQ. Most of them are lacking in the physical tools department or instincts, though.

JO is the only player with a clue on D. AP makes the same mistake time and again of getting caught in no man's land with his help: he neither stops penetration nor gets back to his guy. Not to mention that it's fairly easy for opposing wings to blow by him and create enough space to get a pretty good shot.

Plus, with the exception of Bosh, nobody has any heart to pursue 50:50 balls or dive for them. A team can make up for a lack of athleticism with effort, but sadly, I don't see the necessary dogged determination from the vast majority of these players.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#8 » by Pchu » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:40 pm

joeyt618 wrote:The "swich on everything" philosophy is starting to get on my nerves too. I can't keep count on how many times I've seen Andrea guard the opposing PG at the top of the key. When you have your bigs guarding the smalls and everyone else scrambling, you're bound to lose out on a lot of rebounds.

Triano isn't stupid though. He knows it's effective to have your players stick to their man, with a few occassional switches, but we simply lack the players that can do that.

It's like comparing a gifted class, and a special ed class. The gifted can learn on their own and work on their own. The latter class, however, yields the best results when helping each other... although mostly with limited results.

While I don't mind a switch once in a while, having a big guarding a small in key moments is a killer. You are already in a disadvantage and you have to send help and scramble to get the possession.

Obviously, we don't have the personnel to do it properly either, but then again it shouldn't been implemented until you get the right people. You don't see Shaq guarding a small in key moments.
Teabag
Veteran
And1: 13

Post#9 » by Teabag » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Thank you Jamario Moon and Jason Kapono for slamming home my point in all of 1 minute of play

I don't even get upset about it any more because I 100% expect it to happen and as a die hard Raptors fan I'm becoming more and more ok with missing a game ... I use to try and get to a tv when ever I could but now it's if I'm around one I'll turn it off but I'm not going out of my way any more to watch the Washington Generals err I mean Raptors make every team look like the Globetrotters

One trade will not fix this team

KABOOM!!!
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#10 » by 5DOM » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:00 pm

AP doesnt have a great basketball IQ.
It looks like he's playing smart because everyone around him is ****.

Return to Toronto Raptors