ImageImageImageImageImage

Colangelo loath to part with Parker, who's a popular target

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Re: Colangelo loath to part with Parker, who's a popular target 

Post#21 » by Volcano » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:45 am

I'd like to keep him for cheap and have him as a back up SG/PG (if needed) and veteran presence
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,547

Post#22 » by TheRaptor! » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:46 am

I'd love to see this guy leave.

To net us something good in return while we sign him back next year. I want this guy to retire as a Raptor. I have no problems with this guy playing the backup PG/SG role in a few years. Solid, solid, solid player.
Assassin_1
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: Running up in your spot faster than CJ from San Andreas

Post#23 » by Assassin_1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:48 am

I think we should trade him and then re-sign him to the minimum in the off-season, he can be our back-up point guard.
Shockwave-
Senior
And1: 93

Post#24 » by Shockwave- » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:48 am

If only we can somehow give him the money that we're giving to kapono, and we'd be set.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#25 » by dagger » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:55 am

The key to understanding his future with Toronto is seeing what trade offers are coming in for him. We're flying blind because there haven't been any rumors. I've thought that we might trade him to GSW as cap relief for one of their wings, but only if there is a sweetener coming our way because their wing contracts are horrible.

And what contender would give up a good piece for him? I'm trying to think of a west team that would send us a better player than AP? If you don't get back a better player, why bother? That player would have to have a lot of upside if he weren't already better. But which contenders have such prospects? Frankly, I can't think of any surplus player on a contender who fits the bill of what we need.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
power works
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#26 » by power works » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:56 am

I wouldn’t hesitate to trade his expiring contract for significant return.

Yet, I also wouldn’t hesitate to try and resign him again this offseason. Not as our starting 2-guard, but as a guy off the bench. He’d also make an excellent insurance point guard if Raps still want to go with Roko as a backup next season.

If the Raptors really want to do damage next year, then the season-long production at 2-guard has to improve significantly. No denying that AP is a class-act with loads of basketball IQ, but he’s also 34 trying to cover the most athletic players in the league at his position. :no:

In order for the Raps to take the next step BC has to try to acquire an explosive scorer, ideally one who can create his own shot and have the quicks to guard the Wades and Kobes of the league. A lot easier said than done. :violin:

I always pictured AP to be one of those players that would eventually have a front office role with the Raptors when he retires. Hope that's the case here.
CapeCrusader
General Manager
And1: 92

Post#27 » by CapeCrusader » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:57 am

Damn turning 34 this year eh....time flies in my mind he was still like 30. I think he could play the way hes playing for a couple more years at the very least. I still think that if he came off the bench he would be so sick. But if a trade comes our way and its gonna make us that much better then I say we do it, especially if were out of the playoff picture....plus we could always bring him back next season.
B*TCH ! You Weren't With Me Shooting At The Gym!
MjM2xTreMe
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#28 » by MjM2xTreMe » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:57 am

This is what I was talking about in the PG thread about Parker's new found role playing a role in the summer. Let's hope he can come back with major bids from other teams.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,559

Post#29 » by s e n s i » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:58 am

Death Knight wrote:Parker would be a nice back up PG/SG. I don't think he can be a starting SG anymore. This team needs an upgraded starting SG and SF.

Upgrading both starting wing slots would be nice but why? I've said it many times, AP is a solid 5th starter, especially if he doesn't regress next year. Pair him with a legit wing, and all he'll have to do is defend and hit the open shot. I don't know many teams in the league that have a starting 5 who are all much better than AP. And instead of upgrading both, we could try to acquire a big man capable of scoring off the bench, and add some depth on the wings like a Delfino.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Hypz
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#30 » by Hypz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:58 am

AP is a great asset for this team on and off the court. That said, his performance has shown its ups and downs for us many times. One thing is obvious, when he's on and has a good game, Raptors are hard to beat. He's our Turkoglu. When he has a bad game, it almost always leads to Raptors loss. Maybe I'm over-generalizing, but that's the pattern I noticed. I wouldn't trade him for the sake of trading him, but if a decent offer comes in, I'd strongly consider it.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Post#31 » by MEDIC » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:00 am

I'd like to see AP re-signed as the backup point. I don't think you'd find a better backup point out there. Sign Delfino in the summer & give him the starting SG spot (He's younger than AP).

As for all of these posts stating "get something good" for AP.........I'm not really sure what we could get. If we were REALLY, REALLY lucky, a top 3 team may offer up a 1st round pick. At that point in the draft though, it may as well be a 2nd rounder.....
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,801

Post#32 » by Triple M » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:02 am

As a Celtic fan i would love to get AP he would be a perfect role player for a contender; he can defend, shoot, handle, and on top of that he is clutch. Unfortunately the Celtics don't really have much to offer unless BC can be had for Tony Allen.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,645

Post#33 » by C_Money » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:04 am

I'm curious to know how BC plans on making our team better if he doesn't want to trade anybody. There's a time when you have to say "He's a nice guy but the team is awful."
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#34 » by Trilogy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:10 am

dagger wrote:The key to understanding his future with Toronto is seeing what trade offers are coming in for him. We're flying blind because there haven't been any rumors. I've thought that we might trade him to GSW as cap relief for one of their wings, but only if there is a sweetener coming our way because their wing contracts are horrible.

And what contender would give up a good piece for him? I'm trying to think of a west team that would send us a better player than AP? If you don't get back a better player, why bother? That player would have to have a lot of upside if he weren't already better. But which contenders have such prospects? Frankly, I can't think of any surplus player on a contender who fits the bill of what we need.

Julian Wright?

It's the only guy I can really think of and a team that is a good fit for him.

AP's a versatile asset though, since he's an expiring too, so you could see him perhaps moved to another bad team trying to get out of a contract.
dagger
RealGM

Post#35 » by dagger » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:15 am

Trilogy wrote:
dagger wrote:The key to understanding his future with Toronto is seeing what trade offers are coming in for him. We're flying blind because there haven't been any rumors. I've thought that we might trade him to GSW as cap relief for one of their wings, but only if there is a sweetener coming our way because their wing contracts are horrible.

Julian Wright?

AP's a versatile asset though, since he's an expiring too, so you could see him perhaps moved to another bad team trying to get out of a contract.

I don't know about Wright. He's more reputation than reality to me. Brandon Wright or Randolph might do it but GSW doesn't need to trade them, though they probably want to dump deadweight salary.
dagger
RealGM

Post#36 » by dagger » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:16 am

C_Money wrote:I'm curious to know how BC plans on making our team better if he doesn't want to trade anybody. There's a time when you have to say "He's a nice guy but the team is awful."

I think BC is playing hard to get with Parker. He's available, but not as a gift.
chsh22
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#37 » by chsh22 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:19 am

dagger wrote:I think BC is playing hard to get with Parker. He's available, but not as a gift.

Dagger... Are you trying to say "smokescreen" ? I ask because it's so unlike you. :p

Here's to hoping that BC is just trying to drive up AP's stock by talking about how great a locker-room guy is, and how lucky teams would be to have him.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:If you were going to give the raps board an enema, you'd stick the tube in this thread.
rafer madness
Veteran
And1: 19

Post#38 » by rafer madness » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:32 am

AP has alot of respect from MLSE, I don't think they would let him go. He is a perfect candidate to "wear a tie" for this organization after he is finished playing.
quickymgee
Rookie
And1: 48

Post#39 » by quickymgee » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:32 am

BC can only "make this team better" if he trades parker up for someone who replaces his skill set and his leadership. otherwise it's a lateral move that messes with team chemistry and you risk losing all his intangibles. If you trade him for picks say goodbye to contention for another year or two.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#40 » by Komodo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:04 am

Trilogy wrote:Julian Wright?

Yup, first name I thought of as well.

We give them Parker, in return we get Wright and two little-used end of the bench players.

Successful Trade Scenario
Congratulations on a successful trade.
Due to New Orleans and Toronto being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. New Orleans and Toronto had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Trade ID
Trade ID #4952258
Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario.

Try Another Trade or visit our Trade Forum.
New Orleans Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -0.1 ppg, -2.2 rpg, and +1.1 apg.
Incoming Players
Anthony Parker
6-6 SG / SF from Bradley
10.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 32.5 minutes
Outgoing Players
Sean Marks
6-10 PF / C from California
2.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.2 minutes
Devin Brown
6-5 SG from Texas-San Antonio
5.1 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.3 minutes
Julian Wright
6-8 SF from Kansas
3.1 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 0.8 apg in 9.1 minutes
Toronto Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +0.1 ppg, +2.2 rpg, and -1.1 apg.
Incoming Players
Sean Marks
6-10 PF / C from California
2.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.2 minutes
Devin Brown
6-5 SG from Texas-San Antonio
5.1 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.3 minutes
Julian Wright
6-8 SF from Kansas
3.1 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 0.8 apg in 9.1 minutes
Outgoing Players
Anthony Parker