ImageImageImageImageImage

GM vision versus Coaching philosophy

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

GM vision versus Coaching philosophy 

Post#1 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:41 pm

It's been interesting this season to watch so many coaches go down as their teams have struggled. Watching a few of these teams raises the question: "For GMs, what is the formula to success?"

I'm defining success here as assessed talent (expectations) vs results (good ol wins).

For example, I would say Minnesota could deem this a successful season if they continue to play the level of basketball they've been playing under McHale. McHale is one of the reasons I started this thread, since his team struggled so much early this season under Wittman, yet seem to have hit their stride being coached by the man to assembled them.

This brings me to the title, how important is it to find a coach to buy into the GM's vision of play? We see it here in TO as well with Smitch gone and now Triano being BC's yes man. Or, is it better to find an experienced coach with a specific style and bring in players that play to his style? ie: Sloan, Jackson, Dantoni and now Charlotte is taking this approach with Brown and it'll be curious to see how they improve over the next year or two.

So, thoughts on philosophy of the better model? Furthermore, with BC having to find a new coach this summer and probably some roster flexibility going into next season, what approach should the raptors take? Fit the coach to the roster/GM philosophy or bring in a coach with a specific style and fit the roster to his style?
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Re: GM vision versus Coaching philosophy 

Post#2 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 pm

Whoever is buying the groceries, better have a good idea what is on the menu. I don't think it matters whether the GM conforms to the coach's vision or vice versa, as much as it matters that whatever direction they go is the right direction, and that they are on the same page. However, I think it's not fair to expect coaches to coach any style, some may be better at others, so a coach's aptitude is very important.

I think the buck stops at the GM and ownership(if they prevent firings). But ultimately it's on the GM, for the hire in the first place. If the coach was there when you got there and he doesn't suit your vision, but you don't want to change your vision, there's no really good excuse for keeping him, and limiting the the success of your team, due to round pegs and square holes.
brownballer
Junior
And1: 1

Post#3 » by brownballer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:15 pm

i think its better to find an experienced coach with his own style
and it is the GM's job to get players that fit his style
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#4 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:24 pm

brownballer wrote:i think its better to find an experienced coach with his own style

But it's not always easy to flip your roster. That can take a lot of time. I think it's best to find a good match between coach and gm stick with it.
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#5 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:52 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:
brownballer wrote:i think its better to find an experienced coach with his own style

But it's not always easy to flip your roster. That can take a lot of time. I think it's best to find a good match between coach and gm stick with it.

IMO as far as the Raps go, if you plan Bosh,Bargs, Jose as core then you look for a coach with a style that suites their strengths. Then the rest of the roster MUST be built to the coaching style to limit those 3 players weaknesses and take advantage of their strengths.

If it's full rebuild mode, then I believe in getting the coach and turning over the roster within a 2 season period to move in the coaches direction the way Charlotte and NYK are doing.

Return to Toronto Raptors