ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps Current State Shouldn't Mean A Rebuild

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raptor04
Senior
And1: 9

Re: Raps Current State Shouldn't Mean A Rebuild 

Post#21 » by Raptor04 » Sun Feb 1, 2009 12:18 am

Some of you have questioned how Jose can lead this team, well I'd say if you gather our offensive production in the games he has played this season, they're a lot better than if we were without him, And thats when you guys question the talent on this roster.

I'm not saying a move shouldn;t be made, but at the same time there's just some pieces you have to wait for to develop chemistry together and right now we've got Jose/Bosh/Bargs. A team's biggest failure is messing with the lineup too much, and chemistry.

And this wasn't meant to be a Raps vs Heat discussion, I was just using their prior season as an example. This team has talent to make the playoffs and when the moves are made, to be a impact in the playoffs. And although Wade may be more of an impact player than CB4, this team isn't designed in that way to be relied on one person. Calderon and O'Neal are and were supposed to be two key components to this team. Them missing has definately cost the Raps some ballgames.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#22 » by Hendrix » Sun Feb 1, 2009 12:50 am

I disagree with the OP.

Miami is doing things right. They have a top player in the game already that has proven he can win a ring as "the man". Then tanked to get nice young talent around him. Then they have cap space in 2010 to fill out hte roster. That's direction, and a real rebuild.

Our current siutation is nothing like there's because we don't have that direction. We don't have the flexibility to fill out the roster enough, and have a lot of holes. Lets face it our "core" of Bargnani, Bosh, and Calderon has lead us to the 2nd worst record in the east, it's going to take a lot to get to the contender level, and J.O's expiring + some internal development aint enough. Especially when it looks as though we need to get it done by 2010 if we want to re-sign Bosh.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#23 » by Rapsalot » Sun Feb 1, 2009 3:42 am

Agree with the OP only if he/she feels Bosh will sign at the end of 2010. Unless we make some big progress in the next 17 months I don't see it.

I guess you would trade JO for a good wing in the off season? If so I like the idea what kind of value do you think we can get and does that set the team up to be a top 4 team in 2009/2010? If not I would not expect Bosh to be here.

Two easy for him to go to Miami and help them out some more!
rapsrealm
Assistant Coach
And1: 424

Post#24 » by rapsrealm » Sun Feb 1, 2009 3:50 am

My issue is I don't think the Raps have the assets to create a proper supporting cast for Bosh. We have at best average players on this team and a couple players that haven't panned out for us who are on bad contracts. Especially if the Raps make the Marion trade we're looking at having Kapono/Banks eating up $10 million of our cap. Even if we do resign Bosh its too eerily similar to the KG Minnesota situation where they have their star player making tons of money and not having a good enough supporting cast.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#25 » by Cassius » Sun Feb 1, 2009 4:26 am

^The problem wasn't KG's contract, it was the Wally/Jaric/Blount contracts that were the problem.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#26 » by timdunkit » Sun Feb 1, 2009 4:33 am

Hendrix wrote:I disagree with the OP.

Miami is doing things right. They have a top player in the game already that has proven he can win a ring as "the man". Then tanked to get nice young talent around him. Then they have cap space in 2010 to fill out hte roster. That's direction, and a real rebuild.

Our current siutation is nothing like there's because we don't have that direction. We don't have the flexibility to fill out the roster enough, and have a lot of holes. Lets face it our "core" of Bargnani, Bosh, and Calderon has lead us to the 2nd worst record in the east, it's going to take a lot to get to the contender level, and J.O's expiring + some internal development aint enough. Especially when it looks as though we need to get it done by 2010 if we want to re-sign Bosh.

The problem is that we don't have that top player. If we are to rebuild we would not get a young player with a higher ceiling then Bosh and therefore have to rebuild making a more balanced team. We could rebuild around a more balanced team by trading Bosh for youth (Aldridge + Rudy maybe?) then follow that up with a trade for an expiring this year for JO? then ship Calderon for draft picks and expiring or a young pg who might not be offensively talented but has some defense?

Anyways, not sure however, if we are to rebuild it has to be this year because teams will not want to take the chance of Bosh leaving in 2010 and offer much less ....
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#27 » by timdunkit » Sun Feb 1, 2009 4:34 am

Cassius wrote:^The problem wasn't KG's contract, it was the Wally/Jaric/Blount contracts that were the problem.

Dont forget the Joe Smith fiasco cost them 3 picks ...

Return to Toronto Raptors