ImageImageImageImageImage

What went wrong?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

lupo
Junior
And1: 0

What went wrong? 

Post#1 » by lupo » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:23 pm

2006/2007 season. 47 W 35 L, third in east

tj ford
parker
mo pete
bosh
rasho

calderon
garbajosa
graham
bargnani
humpries

2007/2008 season. 41 W 41 L, sixth in east

tj ford
parker
moon
bosh
rasho

calderon
kapono
delfino
(garbajosa)
graham
bargnani
humpries

2008/2009 19 W 30 L, fourteenth in east

calderon
parker
moon
bargnani
bosh

ukic/solomon
kapono
graham
o'neal
humpries/voskul

what went wrong?

if i was at the ACC today i would asked them to give me back my money. i actually think i lost 2 hours of my life seeing this game...

i never liked how toronto played under mitchell, but i never imagined that they could play so bad. right now they are only a bunch of guys moving around the court with no intention of playing team basketball.

i am sorry but i blame this partly on colangelo. in 2006 toronto had an idea, a plan: have a bunch of bad guys that played "european" basketball. garbajosa had a great season, but all the new signings were made with some purpose. garbajosa, parker, calderon, rasho, bargnani. maybe not all star calibre, but all guys that knew how to play team basketball, and i think that for this reason they had a really good season way over expectation even if they lost in the playoffs mainly for inexperience.

maybe was an error, but i was happy to cheer for that team. right now on offence i see all 1 vs 5 (mainly bosh vs 5, but sometime also moon or graham vs 5 :o :o :o ) plays, or 2 vs 5 (calderon-bosh, calderon-bargnani, calderon-o neal). i don't want to talk about our defence because i would just kick an old paraplegic man... i only say that my afterwork team plays a better help defence...

what to do in the future? the "european" project failed badly mainly because colangelo never gave it a chance, giving o'neal away for a wing is a good thing, but will not solve our problems.

and the worse part is that i don't see how the situation could change in the next years...our train was passing right now, i think we lost it...
CrownJ
Senior
And1: 32

Re: What went wrong? 

Post#2 » by CrownJ » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:25 pm

it seems like the whole teams in the east (except few like raps) upgraded while raps stayed the same
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#3 » by timdunkit » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:26 pm

Orlando announcers said it best "there a team that shoots the 2 ball (no layups) the most and they allow a lot of lay ups and 3pt shots ... not a recipe for success" .... Rebuild, you have ot start by trading Bosh and Jose and JO for youth and expirings ....
notorious_01
Freshman

Post#4 » by notorious_01 » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:29 pm

what went wrong? EVERYTHING!!!!! Im starting to loose faith in our beloved B.C lol. Now the true test is can he turn this miserable team around during offseason. He did turn it around in 2006/ Hopefully he can this offseason.This season is a waste. Trade Bosh, Moon,Kapono.bascially the entire team except bargs,calderon,ukic,graham
A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 51

Post#5 » by A_wildstabatanything » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:29 pm

BC tried to run before the team had even learned to crawl.

He needed to show some patience identifying and developing a core. He was looking for shortcuts before he truly knew what he had.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,482

Post#6 » by Brinbe » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:31 pm

Giving Kapono all that money and completing the JO trade... Two worst moves and they've both handicapped us going into the future.
GCougar
Bench Warmer
And1: 878

Post#7 » by GCougar » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:32 pm

timdunkit wrote:Orlando announcers said it best "there a team that shoots the 2 ball (no layups) the most and they allow a lot of lay ups and 3pt shots ... not a recipe for success" ....

+1

The coaching staff seems incapable of turning it around, our personnel keeps playing with the same bad approach. Hard wired to be soft, passive.
from24ft
Banned User
And1: 2
Location: doing funnels and the kozak dance at the company picnic

Post#8 » by from24ft » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:36 pm

firing Sam was a big contributor

As much as people like to oooh and ahh over Triano as a tactician, he is employing some of the worst tactics I have seen as a Raptor fan. The faults are obvious, but not being addressed. With Sam the problems were player confidence issues with Jay, we just flat out suck... can't even count on beating weak teams.

I 'like the fact that he is a Canadian, but as Raptor fan I wish it was an experiment with another organization.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#9 » by Dennis P » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:36 pm

Should've moved El Matador for a starting swingman. I like Jose but he could've been used to attract the type of player we really need.

I will admit I like the Kapono signing when it went down, on paper it made perfect sense but in hindsight that move has crippled us. Pono can't do anything right now and with him AND El Matador in the backcourt at the same time teams with mediocre backcourts have a freaking field day!
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#10 » by bakafool » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:38 pm

- Kapono
- Loss of Delfino
- Mishandling of Bargs
- Losing Garbo
- Failure to get any promising youthat wing position
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#11 » by djsunyc » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:39 pm

it's very easy for things to break down in the nba. once you expect to lose games, it's over. we folded under the pressure of actually having expectations this year.

AP took a huge step back this season making our 2/3 rotation the worst in the league.

bargs role changed in december. jose got hurt. jermaine got hurt. and we fired smitch. and then something happened to bosh's approach to the game.

basically, when all is said and done, we choked.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#12 » by Mustard_Tiger » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:40 pm

No Rasho, no wins.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#13 » by zilby » Sun Feb 1, 2009 9:22 pm

Everything BC did was wrong. should've kept charlie V, drafted Roy, and our team would've been better.

Calderon/Solomon
Roy/Parker
Graham/Moon
Bosh/Charlie
Rasho/Jake/Nate
Hawaiian pizza is good.

Return to Toronto Raptors