ImageImageImageImageImage

Players making as much as Calderon...is he worth his salary?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Re: Players making as much as Calderon...is he worth his salary? 

Post#21 » by gerrit4 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:57 pm

You'd trade Jose for Drew fricken Gooden?

Jameer & Harris may be better, but they weren't at the time they were signed and are now universally considered to be bargains at that price.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#22 » by Southward1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:58 pm

Drew Gooden < Jose
Eric Snow < Jose
Jerry Stackhouse < Jose
Stephen Jackson > Jose
Ron Artest > Jose
TJ Ford > Jose
Darko Milicic < Jose
Devin Harris > Jose
Malik Rose < Jose
Jameer Nelson = Jose

I don't really know, he's not overpaid right now but probably will be down the line due to raises
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#23 » by Reignman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:05 pm

The better question is how much more do you have to spend to cover up all his weaknesses. That should be taken into account when considering his salary. And let's stop the $7.4 mil BS. His salary is 5 years/45 mil, bottom line, that's $9 mil per year. The $7.4 mil is more important when looking at the salary cap and yearly increases.

From what his supporter's tell me, for Jose to be the best he can be the following is needed:

- Star wing to take care of the playmaking via dribble penetration
- Defensive wing to provide "help" when he can't provide resistance at the point of attack
- Low post beast to kick out to him for the 3 bomb and also to protect the paint from opposing pgs
- New coach, because Sam and Triano have made him passive

It absolutely blows my mind that you guys call this guy a point guard when he needs other people to handle many of the point guard's responsiblities.

Now you know why I find Jose an absolute joke and will be BC's number 1 fan when he ships his ass out of here.

Our team is full of players that can't do what their position requires...sad.
Jounster
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#24 » by Jounster » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:10 pm

Reignman wrote:The better question is how much more do you have to spend to cover up all his weaknesses. That should be taken into account when considering his salary. And let's stop the $7.4 mil BS. His salary is 5 years/45 mil, bottom line, that's $9 mil per year. The $7.4 mil is more important when looking at the salary cap and yearly increases.

From what his supporter's tell me, for Jose to be the best he can be the following is needed:

- Star wing to take care of the playmaking via dribble penetration
- Defensive wing to provide "help" when he can't provide resistance at the point of attack
- Low post beast to kick out to him for the 3 bomb and also to protect the paint from opposing pgs
- New coach, because Sam and Triano have made him passive

It absolutely blows my mind that you guys call this guy a point guard when he needs other people to handle many of the point guard's responsiblities.

Now you know why I find Jose an absolute joke and will be BC's number 1 fan when he ships his ass out of here.

Our team is full of players that can't do what their position requires...sad.

yea but he is a floor general who can clap his hands
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#25 » by dillio » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Devin Harris, Jameer Nelson and Stephen Jackson are the 3 guys I'd rather have. Jose's still better than the rest of them though.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#26 » by Cassius » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:22 pm

Jose over Ron Artest? Only in Raptorland.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,415

Post#27 » by Tha Cynic » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:24 pm

His current salary is about right. I'm not so sure about the raises he's going to get in the next few years. For all the hype he's received, he's still more of a glorified role player than even a fringe all-star.
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
rottenzombie
Lead Assistant
And1: 505

Post#28 » by rottenzombie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:29 pm

Cassius wrote:Jose over Ron Artest? Only in Raptorland.

Lol apparently your impreesion of Ron Artest is still stuc to his pacers days...

By the way, this thread is meaningless, this raptors board is just filled with bi-polar fans and haters, you won't ever get any objective answers.
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,575

Post#29 » by Mak » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:36 pm

boshjonesford wrote:
Mak wrote:Any GM would take him from that list over anybody but Harris.

so GMs would take jose over allstar pg Nelson

they would take the better player, not player who had a better year. I think GMs are smarter than that. At least some are.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#30 » by Courtside » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:40 pm

Reignman wrote:From what his supporter's tell me, for Jose to be the best he can be the following is needed:

- Star wing to take care of the playmaking via dribble penetration, carry the scoring burden and make big shots
- Defensive center to provide "help" when he can't provide man defense on his own guy
- Athletic wing to rebound and defend faster 3s and 4s to keep him out of foul trouble
- New coach, because Sam and Triano don't know how to use him properly

A few small tweaks to your list and it sounds like you're talking about Chris Bosh, who you'd have no problem keeping at $22 million per.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#31 » by Reignman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Courtside wrote:
Reignman wrote:From what his supporter's tell me, for Jose to be the best he can be the following is needed:

- Star wing to take care of the playmaking via dribble penetration, carry the scoring burden and make big shots
- Defensive center to provide "help" when he can't provide man defense on his own guy
- Athletic wing to rebound and defend faster 3s and 4s to keep him out of foul trouble
- New coach, because Sam and Triano don't know how to use him properly

A few small tweaks to your list and it sounds like you're talking about Chris Bosh, who you'd have no problem keeping at $22 million per.

- Bosh doesn't need help scoring, he just needs someone that can make the late shotclock play or hit the big shot in the crunch, this is the same for ANY bigman.
- Bosh doesn't need help guarding his own man, he needs someone to bang with the bigger bodies. Bosh is a finesse PF, so that's pretty fair.
- Point 3 doesn't make any sense.
- Point 4 doesn't make any sense either.

Edit: And let's not compare the impact Bosh has in games to the impact Jose has in games....ever.
elitehunter99
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#32 » by elitehunter99 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:15 pm

I would take Stephen Jackson over Jose for this Raptor team.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#33 » by whysoserious » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:32 pm

MTLraptorFan wrote:Id rather Tj ford, at least tj ford can win games for u

I know, TJ is the greatest of all time. For all the games he can win for you, the Pacers currently are one win better than the Raptors...

BTW, don't take this as hating TJ 'cause I loved him as a Raptor but let's not make him out to be far superior to Calderon when he clearly isn't
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#34 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:33 pm

Personally, I think it's a bit more of a useful exercise to compare Jose to players of comparable talent level, at the same position who are at similar contract stages. In particular, PGs tend to be some of the more relatively underpaid NBA players.

In that regard, you have (all figures in millions of $):

Calderon - 7.4, 8.2, 9.0, 9.8, 10.6
Ford - 8.0, 8.5, 8.5
Mo Williams - 8.3, 8.9, 9.3, 8.5, 8.8
Hinrich - 10.0, 9.5, 9.0, 8.0
Ridnour - 6.5, 6.5
Duhon - 5.6, 6.0
Parker - 11.6, 12.6, 13.6
Nelson - 7.7, 7.7, 7.7, 7.7, 7.7
Harris - 7.8, 8.4, 9.0, 9.3, 8.5

Based on that list I think Jose falls right about where he should fall on that list for this season relative his counterparts. He gets more than the guys he's better than and less than the guys he's worse than. Hinrich and Ford are a touch out of line but not outrageously so. So this season I think it's pretty clear that Jose isn't actually underpaid but paid roughly what he should be paid relative comparable players. As the contracts wind on, though, Jose slowly starts to pass other guys in 2010 and beyond. That won't be an outrageous problem or anything, but he definitely seems to move from "paid about right" to "slightly overpaid" over the course of his contract, although a lot can change as some of those other guys get extensions, but key guys like Nelson and Harris are locked in long-term like Jose.

Jose's contract is fairly reasonable and certainly nothing to complain about. He isn't the bargain player some people like to make him out to be, though, and he to suggest he sacrificed a lot of money to remain a Raptor is pushing it given how easily his contract falls in line with comparable players on other teams.
Bucket! Bucket!
Meeks
Bench Warmer
And1: 58

Post#35 » by Meeks » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:55 pm

MTLraptorFan wrote:overpaying .....we could of had tj ford at 8 million....calderon sucks

MTLraptorFan wrote:Id rather Tj ford, at least tj ford can win games for u

TJ called..
he wants his nuts back.
Props to TZ

Return to Toronto Raptors