ImageImageImageImageImage

Anthony Parker was/is supposed to be our Brandon Roy?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Anthony Parker was/is supposed to be our Brandon Roy? 

Post#1 » by execoftheyear » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:16 pm

Not sure if this was brought up before, I was just reading Draftexpress.com's profile on Anthony Parker and just read this:

"If teams were going gaga over Brandon Roy (and rightfully so) these past few weeks, they have to look at a more polished and experienced version of him. Parker is no rookie and he doesn’t need to be developed or brought along slowly, he’ll essentially be paid lottery pick type money but will step onto the court and contribute immediately from day one."

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ant ... rker-3868/

So was this BC's logic in not going after a player like Brandon Roy during the draft? Was Smitch misusing him (along with other players) ultimately causing him to be on such a short leash resulting in him getting fired prematurely? BC has stated that he wanted Parker to play the point for quite sometime and with his bigger role he has produced some Brandon Roy-like numbers (All around numbers...Points/Assists/Rebounds).

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/anthony_p ... stats.html

I guess this is why BC has been pretty reluctant in not trading Parker...I still hope Parker has more to offer, he's shown a whole different side to his game under a new role and new coach.
Tenacious_C
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Anthony Parker was/is supposed to be our Brandon Roy? 

Post#2 » by Tenacious_C » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:18 pm

AP is a glue guy and can be an effective sixth man under the right circumstances. He also provides stability and a deadly shot from just inside the arc. His defense is also underrated imo.
racingdynamics
Junior
And1: 7

Post#3 » by racingdynamics » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:18 pm

All I know is, Brandon Roy was at the All-Star weekend for the second year in a row; Parker was at home watching with a bowl of popcorn.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#4 » by J-Roc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:20 pm

AP sounds like Shane Battier, from that NY Times article.
execoftheyear
Analyst

Post#5 » by execoftheyear » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 pm

racingdynamics wrote:All I know is, Brandon Roy was at the All-Star weekend for the second year in a row; Parker was at home watching with a bowl of popcorn.

Since the All Star game is all about numbers, take a look at the stretch of games where/since he was given pg duties.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/anthony_p ... stats.html

Now if he were given this role from the very first season he's played with the Raptors (back when he was a lot younger) the outcome of his career numbers, though hard to predict, may have been different. I know it's such a small sample size but you have to think, maybe he was misused all these years...I hate to think that we wasted his talent on being just a spot up shooter.
Jounster
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Jounster » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:26 pm

AP in the same sentence as Roy, I loled
Grizzled
Starter

Post#7 » by Grizzled » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Trick alert! That DX article is dated July 6, 2006.
execoftheyear
Analyst

Post#8 » by execoftheyear » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:36 pm

Jounster wrote:AP in the same sentence as Roy, I loled

Yes, because you predicted Brandon Roy to be an All Star when he was drafted. This is no way a knock on Brandon Roy's game...he's my favourite player in the league...just the thought of having him (or potentially a player like him in this case) would be a dream.

I know it's too far to look back on but it may explain BC's though process on Roy during draft day...he also did predict him to be Rookie of the Year so he was pretty high on him but maybe, big maybe, he thought we had a more polished version, in hindsight the thought is laughable, of him in Parker. Parker's numbers as of late since getting a PG role is making a pretty decent case as to what more he can offer...may not be at the level of Roy's but still in the mold of what Roy offers.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#9 » by Gold Chain » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:37 pm

Grizzled wrote:Trick alert! That DX article is dated July 6, 2006.

Trick alert? Oh no you didn't! :lol:

CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#10 » by CrookedJ » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Exactly! That's when Roy was thought to be a 13-15 ppg solid all round 2 guard. Its not that Parker isn't as good as DX expected, its that Roy is far far better. This is why he was picked 6th . . .and why It wasn't stupid to pick Bargnani over him.

If we want to have a discussion about WHY hes been so much better than expected, that might be interesting.
imgrindin247
Rookie

Post#11 » by imgrindin247 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:39 pm

He's pretty much exactly like Battier in that they don't put up great #'s, but are always helping the team out in other ways. The thing about his game is that he doesn't take shots just to get himself going. He takes them in the flow of the offense. When he takes a shot, the entire team knows he's shooting it. This leads to him having some bad shooting games sometimes because he doesn't get in a rhythm since he'll go long stretches without touching the ball sometimes. With other players on our team, they jack up shots when you don't expect them to go up just to try and get themselves going.

There's a lot more to his game than just being a spot up shooter and I think it's a waste to have him out there only doing that. I love having him run the point, because it allows us to have our best defensive lineup out there. He's able to contain point guards and is a solid play maker as well. I think he may have had more assists that led to dunks than Jose has all year long. He's also willing to pitch the ball up court and get the running game going much more than Jose is. He is much more comfortable handling the ball at the top of the key and creating something rather than at the wing.
Grizzled
Starter

Post#12 » by Grizzled » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:40 pm

execoftheyear wrote:

Yes, because you predicted Brandon Roy to be an All Star when he was drafted. This is no way a knock on Brandon Roy's game...he's my favourite player in the league...just the thought of having him (or potentially a player like him in this case) would be a dream.

I know it's too far to look back on but it may explain BC's though process on Roy during draft day...he also did predict him to be Rookie of the Year so he was pretty high on him but maybe, big maybe, he thought we had a more polished version, in hindsight the thought is laughable, of him in Parker. Parker's numbers as of late since getting a PG role is making a pretty decent case as to what more he can offer...may not be at the level of Roy's but still in the mold of what Roy offers.

Nobody predicted that Roy would be the player he is now when he was drafted, so your comparison is pointless.
Jounster
Banned User

Post#13 » by Jounster » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Id hope BC had some more insight on brandon roy and AP then I did, after all he is getting payed just a couple of mill more then I am to be more knowledgeable on the subject lulz
imgrindin247
Rookie

Post#14 » by imgrindin247 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:44 pm

CrookedJ wrote:

Exactly! That's when Roy was thought to be a 13-15 ppg solid all round 2 guard. Its not that Parker isn't as good as DX expected, its that Roy is far far better. This is why he was picked 6th . . .and why It wasn't stupid to pick Bargnani over him.

If we want to have a discussion about WHY hes been so much better than expected, that might be interesting.

Yeah pretty much. Nobody could have guessed Roy would be as good as he's been. He was a very poor shooter his first 3 seasons in college. 4 year college guys aren't exactly looked at as having a ton of potential either. Nobody would have considered taking Roy with the #1 pick. Even Portland passed up on him with their first pick, so even they missed on him initially as well.
execoftheyear
Analyst

Post#15 » by execoftheyear » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Grizzled wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:

Nobody predicted that Roy would be the player he is now when he was drafted, so your comparison is pointless.

I guess it isn't worth discussing seeing the player Roy is now compared to Parker. It's just unsettling to see that Parker may have had a lot more to his game than he offered and his role may have just restrained him from displaying it...unfortunately age is catching up to him and BC probably still thinks having Parker at the time of not drafting Roy can still be justified by Parker's new role.
Grizzled
Starter

Post#16 » by Grizzled » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:51 pm

double c wrote:

Trick alert? Oh no you didn't! :lol:

lol! I'm going to bookmark that for future use. 8-)
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#17 » by Hendrix » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Everybody predicted Roy to be a glue guy somewhere around Parker's level. He completly exceeded expctations 100x over. Mitchedll didn't underutilize Parker, Roy was just a lot better then expected.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
Grizzled
Starter

Post#18 » by Grizzled » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:57 pm

execoftheyear wrote:
Grizzled wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:

I guess it isn't worth discussing seeing the player Roy is now compared to Parker. It's just unsettling to see that Parker may have had a lot more to his game than he offered and his role may have just restrained him from displaying it...unfortunately age is catching up to him and BC probably still thinks having Parker at the time of not drafting Roy can still be justified by Parker's new role.

What on earth are you talking about?? Roy was being compared to Parker in July of 2006, not now.
execoftheyear
Analyst

Post#19 » by execoftheyear » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Hendrix wrote:Everybody predicted Roy to be a glue guy somewhere around Parker's level. He completly exceeded expctations 100x over. Mitchedll didn't underutilize Parker, Roy was just a lot better then expected.

But I have a hard time believing that BC thought of Roy as being just a 'glue guy' when he also predicted him to be rookie of the year (which is highly influenced by stats, namely points). But yea, you're right...Brandon Roy basically exceeded expectations.
Grizzled
Starter

Post#20 » by Grizzled » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:04 pm

execoftheyear wrote:
Hendrix wrote:Everybody predicted Roy to be a glue guy somewhere around Parker's level. He completly exceeded expctations 100x over. Mitchedll didn't underutilize Parker, Roy was just a lot better then expected.

But I have a hard time believing that BC thought of Roy as being just a 'glue guy' when he also predicted him to be rookie of the year (which is highly influenced by stats, namely points). But yea, you're right...Brandon Roy basically exceeded expectations.

Trick Alert!

He predicted that he would be ROY at the end of the 06/07 season, after his incredible rookie year.

Return to Toronto Raptors