ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiretap: Calderon - Raptors 'Are So Close' To Being Good

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: Wiretap: Calderon - Raptors 'Are So Close' To Being Good 

Post#41 » by Kabookalu » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:57 pm

J-Roc wrote:But who is the slashing all-star wing that makes them better than us? I know they at least have guys who can slash like Stuckey and Iverson.

Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince.
jay632
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#42 » by jay632 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:09 pm

the team is stupid if they think we are close, bargs are bosh too soft. we will never be phoenix east. They work has they have nash and amare. jose finally had a good game. and only good player on our bench is pops...
Peteros
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 0

Post#43 » by Peteros » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:32 pm

Anthony Parker needs to go! I'm sorry he has been a dissapointment this year. Let's rebuild with the draft and sign 2 or 3 FA in the off season to shore up our bench and starting rotation.
Winggfly
Analyst
And1: 289

Post#44 » by Winggfly » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:37 pm

When you think about it, the Toronto Raptors on paper actually look pretty decent, however since our coach has changed, and we've been trying to adjust of what type of basketball were gonna play....well it kinda screwed up our play/season.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#45 » by Reignman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:58 pm

LOL @ Jose and everyone that's agreeing with this nonsense. Close? Close to what? A .500 record? It's funny he spews this crap after one of the few semi-decent games they've played this entire season and it wasn't even a win.

I guess I need to remind everyone that THIS team has won ONLY 23 games this season. Last season they barely scrapped out a .500 record. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would know we're far from close. Ask any non-raptor fan what they think of this team and how close we are and they'll give you a fair assessment. This team lacks the right types of players and chemistry needed to be a playoff threat.

And those of you using the injury excuse, please, every team in the league suffers through injuries, but the good teams don't fold like we have. And on top of that, the 3 good teams we did beat this season (Houston, Orlando and San Antonio) all came without Jose or Bosh in the lineup.

I'll guarantee one thing, if this roster comes back fairly intact, we'll be fighting tooth and nail to make the playoffs next season. The exception being that we draft a gem with our pick who has a fairly impactful rookie season. Even then I say we top out at approximately .500.

Furthermore, give me one strength this team has shown, just one. There is no direction or identity to this team because the pieces don't fit. Since most look at Ettore as a coaching guru, we're probably the furthest thing from what he considers a "dream" team.

Screw it, time will tell if I'm right or wrong.
unotready
Sophomore

Post#46 » by unotready » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:01 pm

yeah Jose.. we'll be close to being good when you start assuming your role again as a back up point guard.. if not, then get the hell out of toronto. No-one wants you here.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#47 » by Reignman » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:08 pm

unotready wrote:yeah Jose.. we'll be close to being good when you start assuming your role again as a back up point guard.. if not, then get the hell out of toronto. No-one wants you here.

Jose's pretty much full of **** if you ask me. This guy never takes ownership of his own play. Not once this season has he come out and said he needs to pick it up, instead, he's pushing this garbage on his naive fans that gobble this **** up.

I'm not surprised he makes another BS proclamation after one of the very few decent games he's played this season.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#48 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:17 pm

I think we're close to being a .500 team, and securing a 7th-8th seed. But, I tend to aim higher than that. We're much further away from a being an upper-echelon team. Granted, there are not that many of those in the league, but I'm talking more along the lines of contending in the Eastern Conf. I think Miami and Cleveland are two teams that will continue to progress, you never know w/ Detroit and Joe Dumars, and I think some of the teams in the lower-half of the conference like say, the 76ers could be there as well. I think Toronto needs more of a makeover than the teams I mentioned, just 'cause of the uncertainty that surrounds Bosh, the regression that we've undergone the last two years (ever since the 2nd half of last season), and the general lack of talent on this team compared to others in the East.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#49 » by J-Roc » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Reignman wrote:
Jose's pretty much full of **** if you ask me. This guy never takes ownership of his own play.

I think I've heard media ask Bosh about driving to the rim, or Bargnani about getting rebounds. But why is it that no one just comes out and asks Jose about his inability to contain his man?

"Jose, do you believe you can guard other PG's one on one or will you always need help D behind you?"

Obviously the question would lead to an awkward moment. But...why not? It's a legit question.
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#50 » by inrapscity » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:01 pm

once jose gets traded, we'll be close.
AB_21
Analyst
And1: 23

Post#51 » by AB_21 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:09 pm

J-Roc wrote:How do these things make the wiretap?? What do American fans think when they come to RealGM.com and read this stuff?

If this Jose quote wasn't on the wiretap, and someone here opened a thread about it, it would have been locked.

Realgm has noted that a large part of their traffic comes from Toronto--hence more TO wiretaps.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,642

Post#52 » by C_Money » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:14 pm

When your 20 games below .500 with 16 games still left, your not close at all.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,415

Post#53 » by Tha Cynic » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:34 pm

Bahahaha
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#54 » by Death Knight » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:40 pm

What does Calderon know. He's been spewing the same garbage all season long. "We are a good team, we still have next game. Then the next game. Then the next game............." Ummm.............There aren't that many games left in the season Jose! The next game never provides a different result anyways.

I agreed with some posters. Jose should save it.
from24ft
Banned User
And1: 2
Location: doing funnels and the kozak dance at the company picnic

Post#55 » by from24ft » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:02 pm

Thinking you are close makes you rationalize deals like the JO/Marion deal. Short term fixes that cost the franchise future opportunity.

We keep saying this one pick means nothing, that one trade means nothing, that one contract means nothing... but culmination of these moves only means less flexibility down the line to act further and puts us in a position that the few opportunities we do have, have to be bonanzas for us to be a success.

We also need to consider that it may be the core that is the problem.
CreaM
Banned User
And1: 1,163

Post#56 » by CreaM » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:05 pm

All I have to say is that contrary to popular belief, Jose should have been the one traded in the off-season. I was 100% wrong about keeping Jose over TJ. I still think he is the problem with this team and the reason why we are underachieving so badly this season.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,642

Post#57 » by C_Money » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:06 pm

CreaM wrote:All I have to say is that contrary to popular belief, Jose should have been the one traded in the off-season. I was 100% wrong about keeping Jose over TJ. I still think he is the problem with this team and the reason why we are underachieving so badly this season.

I don't think he's THE problem since this team has alot of them but I would definetly say he's the one guy that has to leave if this team wants to win anything.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,747

Post#58 » by And1Skip » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:23 pm

unotready wrote:yeah Jose.. we'll be close to being good when you start assuming your role again as a back up point guard.. if not, then get the hell out of toronto. No-one wants you here.

"No-one" - you mean, you and maybe about 15 other "realgm" posters don't want him here. Whereas the majority of the season ticket holders like me want him to stay and get healthy for next season. Sure it may seem that the majority of fans hate Jose just buy the posts on this forum..but that doesn't represent a lot of us "ball boys" who are just as hardcore fans since 1995, season ticket holders, and don't like to waste all their time on RealGM arguing and padding our posts. We have jobs to do, careers to build. Well..I'm wasting my time now...busted :lol:
unotready
Sophomore

Post#59 » by unotready » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:42 am

And1Skip wrote:

"No-one" - you mean, you and maybe about 15 other "realgm" posters don't want him here. Whereas the majority of the season ticket holders like me want him to stay and get healthy for next season. Sure it may seem that the majority of fans hate Jose just buy the posts on this forum..but that doesn't represent a lot of us "ball boys" who are just as hardcore fans since 1995, season ticket holders, and don't like to waste all their time on RealGM arguing and padding our posts. We have jobs to do, careers to build. Well..I'm wasting my time now...busted :lol:

i'm not talking about no real-gm. I'm not on here enough to tell who likes who. I'm talking about walking into a gym full of ballers and talking about raptors basketball. The consensus seems to be there now. People are understanding, where as I knew this would happen as soon as the trade was made in the off season for O'neal.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#60 » by Death Knight » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:45 am

CreaM wrote:All I have to say is that contrary to popular belief, Jose should have been the one traded in the off-season. I was 100% wrong about keeping Jose over TJ. I still think he is the problem with this team and the reason why we are underachieving so badly this season.

Technically the 47 win season was a fluke, because of a terrible Eastern conference. Then 41 wins was the start of the Raptors showing their true colors. Now this season, it's all out! It's truly a team problem as a whole.

Return to Toronto Raptors