ImageImageImageImageImage

Rasho Endorses Messina

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

rise of raptors
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Rasho Endorses Messina 

Post#1 » by rise of raptors » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:37 am

“The European mentality along with a team of strong players from the European leagues could be a winning mix,” he added. “Europe isn’t like America where you play so much that you lose count. There, each game is meaningful, and under the guide of Messina, the Raptors could finally have the right mentality and play each game like it was an NBA final.”

“If Messina really did come to Toronto I’d like to come back and be coached by him again,” said Nesterovic. “In reality, I’d like to be coached by him wherever he goes to coach. With Messina, you always play to win, and when the players are able to achieve that mindset, it’s easier to obtain great success.”

LINK

Let's NBA!
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Re: Rasho Endorses Messina 

Post#2 » by CPT » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:15 am

Great success indeed.
Nohandle
Senior
And1: 10

Post#3 » by Nohandle » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:17 am

Did Rasho really say this? He really makes Messina sound worth the risk. His endorsement actually made me hopeful of Messina becoming the head coach.
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#4 » by execoftheyear » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:35 am

The year we most resembled a European team was coincidentally our most successful year and it shouldn't surprise people if we lean towards that system again. I've been saying this ever since Messina was rumoured to come to Toronto...with a roster built of Euro-experienced players, it only makes sense to bring in a Euro-experienced coach.

And it's getting pretty obvious that Messina is in fact under our radar...there's so many things that point to him coming over that I don't see why people doubt the possibility of us signing him. And I've always agreed with the idea of bringing Rasho back.
from24ft
Banned User
And1: 2
Location: doing funnels and the kozak dance at the company picnic

Post#5 » by from24ft » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:23 am

execoftheyear wrote:The year we most resembled a European team was coincidentally our most successful year and it shouldn't surprise people if we lean towards that system again. I've been saying this ever since Messina was rumoured to come to Toronto...with a roster built of Euro-experienced players, it only makes sense to bring in a Euro-experienced coach.

And it's getting pretty obvious that Messina is in fact under our radar...there's so many things that point to him coming over that I don't see why people doubt the possibility of us signing him. And I've always agreed with the idea of bringing Rasho back.

I don't think resembling a European team had anything to do with it. If you resemble a euro-league team you are only measuring up to weaker competition.

What it really had to do with is key players at key times in their career, but it wasn't enough when it came time for the playoffs. Some will say, Garbo got injured and he most likely would have stepped it up in the PO (I concede that because I don't know, and I liked what I saw from him).

...but filling your rosters with Soloman’s & Huffman’s, will do very little for you.

This team should not resemble a continent, but a BASKETBALL TEAM.
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#6 » by inrapscity » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:24 am

get it done BC!
Los Manos
Head Coach
And1: 1,870

Post#7 » by Los Manos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:33 am

I honestly believe that the acquisition of Ettore Messina as Head Coach will prove to be the most important decision made by this franchise of the last 10 years.
lemondrop
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by lemondrop » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:35 am

Yes Rasho, only with Messina do teams play to win, everyone else coaches to lose. Yes Raptor fans, this team is so close to contending all we need with an aging slow as a turtle Rasho and Chuckfino and we will be pushing the celtics, cavs, lakers of the nba to the brink.

awsome
miruss2001
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#9 » by miruss2001 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:55 am

Los Manos wrote:I honestly believe that the acquisition of Ettore Messina as Head Coach will prove to be the most important decision made by this franchise of the last 10 years.

Messina with Jay and Marc Ivaronni as assistants sounds pretty good to me.
from24ft
Banned User

Post#10 » by from24ft » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:06 pm

lemondrop wrote:Yes Rasho, only with Messina do teams play to win, everyone else coaches to lose. Yes Raptor fans, this team is so close to contending all we need with an aging slow as a turtle Rasho and Chuckfino and we will be pushing the celtics, cavs, lakers of the nba to the brink.

awsome

I think both extremes are wrong, but there might be some truth in the middle.

We are not going to challenge that celtics, cavs and lakers over night... this whole idea of hitting a home run on the first pitch got to a lot of peoples heads durring our 47 win season. In reality that team was only +6 games above 500, that is an extra win each month for every win/loss... some would say a lot of it was our weak division (which can not be denied) and the fact that our scheduling was such that we were lucky to play some teams during their expression of injury/slump.

What we need to do is improve the roster gradually. For me, we definitely need to start with a coach. I am sorry, I don't buy the line that Jay needs another training camp/season. I know he is Canadian and I know that Bryan put himself in pickle with stupid reactionary realgm move. It was his biggest mistake this year.

Take a group of friends, and one of them says "I'm coach", no matter how knowledgeable that friend is about basketball he will not have the same effect as if some stranger just showed up to the group and said, "NO I am coach". People give more respect to someone that they do not know because they feel they need to prove themselves and there is no comfort for failure in front of a stranger.

I also want Marion out of town... I would offer him the VET minimum. (I know that would really piss off a lot of FA, but I don't want him to sign with us. Lets figure out a trade or something.)
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#11 » by execoftheyear » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:06 pm

from24ft wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:The year we most resembled a European team was coincidentally our most successful year and it shouldn't surprise people if we lean towards that system again. I've been saying this ever since Messina was rumoured to come to Toronto...with a roster built of Euro-experienced players, it only makes sense to bring in a Euro-experienced coach.

I don't think resembling a European team had anything to do with it. If you resemble a euro-league team you are only measuring up to weaker competition.

What it really had to do with is key players at key times in their career, but it wasn't enough when it came time for the playoffs. Some will say, Garbo got injured and he most likely would have stepped it up in the PO (I concede that because I don't know, and I liked what I saw from him).

...but filling your rosters with Soloman’s & Huffman’s, will do very little for you.

So how would you describe a 'basketball team' then? Does it not have to have some sort of identity or system? I think the Euro identity was a big part of our success.

It's not necessarily a roster full of European players...I'm talking about the system. If you look at Cleveland, they have a system that very much resembles a European team. They do a lot of drive and kick basketball, they're unselfish and move the ball, they have bigs that can knock down the mid/long range shot, and they have perimeter players that are constant threats in the triple threat stance (good passers, shooters, slashers) and make good decisions. We basically had the same system during our 06/07 season and gradually went away from what worked.
from24ft
Banned User

Post#12 » by from24ft » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:15 pm

Seriously guys... this no training camp business is the biggest crock I have ever heard.

IF you can't right the ship with 50+ games, and than still get blown out by Charlotte with Bosh, Andrea, Marion and Jose... you do not know what you are doing! It's plain and simple.

Triano's philosophy is an international one, the NBA is a different animal, its not so much about systems but about STARS and matchups. Kapono should have been glued to the bench not promoted. Every time he does that pump fake and drive, SIT HIS ASS ON THE BENCH for 3 games! This isn't a charity league, learn to adapt to what the team expects of you or don't play at all.

If we let Triano be coach, we are screwed, we need a coach that will stand up to Bryan and challenge him to push this team in the right direction. Bryan has already proven to me that he is more of a diplomat/business guy than basketball guy. WE NEED A REAL COACH, one with a strong sense of identity.

If Jay stays, there will be no reason why Bryan will think he can't be both GM and coach.
from24ft
Banned User

Post#13 » by from24ft » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:20 pm

execoftheyear wrote:It's not necessarily a roster full of European players...I'm talking about the system. If you look at Cleveland, they have a system that very much resembles a European team. They do a lot of drive and kick basketball, they're unselfish and move the ball, they have bigs that can knock down the mid/long range shot, and they have perimeter players that are constant threats in the triple threat stance (good passers, shooters, slashers) and make good decisions. We basically had the same system during our 06/07 season and gradually went away from what worked.

That is not an identity, that is a location. There are just as many scrubs and head cases there as there are here.

Lets pick good players. Also don't think of Rasho as a euro player he was an NBA player, even Jose that year was an NBA players because he had a season under his belt. We only added 3 euro's, Euroleague Playoff MVP, Euroleague MVP, #1 pick.

If we could get those kinds of players... than we are making a basketball team, not a euro team.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,483

Post#14 » by Brinbe » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:20 pm

Very nice to hear from Rasho, I hope we can bring him back. Let's Messina?
The Letter V
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#15 » by The Letter V » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:25 pm

from24ft wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:

Lets pick good players. Also don't think of Rasho as a euro player he was an NBA player, even Jose that year was an NBA players because he had a season under his belt. We only added 3 euro's, Euroleague Playoff MVP, Euroleague MVP, #1 pick.

If we could get those kinds of players... than we are making a basketball team, not a euro team.

I agree with your general sentiment, but interestingly that year 2 of our 4 top +/- players were our Euro imports- 3 of 4 if you count Rasho.

The underlining argument is that those players brought with them a culture of winning- Messina would accomplish the same thing.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#16 » by MrBojangelz71 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:26 pm

from24ft wrote:

I disagree. This team was an average collection of team oriented, high BBall IQ players that were smart enough to mold their skills together and play like a team. We sucked outa the gates that year but as time went on, we realized in order to be successful we needed to play strong team ball. We swung the ball with a purpose, always looking for the best shot on every set. We would shoot the lights out for the 1st half of the game and then work it low to CB for the 2nd half. It was a smart rounded game that had all players on the same page. Our D wasn't the greatest that year either but it had a bite to it at least.
If Messina is as great at getting players to buy into a system as people say. If he is as diligent at getting players to perform on each and every play and if he has a great mind for the game as I hear, bring him in. To be as successful as he has overseas and to build such a reputation over the years, there has to be some substance to it. Allow this guy to come in hear and give him 2 to 3 years to see what type of system he can establish. I believe it 's worth the risk.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#17 » by Egg Nog » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:27 pm

I really respect hearing an endorsement like that from Rasho.

I'll bet he'd love to be back in Canada too. He'd make an excellent backup C and he plays smart.

In honour of Rasho:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kASqfmnXSJg
(kinda makes me miss Chuck too :()
ska
Senior

Post#18 » by ska » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:27 pm

I am surprised by the fact that he says he will love to play for Messina regardless of where its going to happen
from24ft
Banned User

Post#19 » by from24ft » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:31 pm

This is why there will always be a euro conflict here...

None of you guys are talking about specific players, just a continent. Lets make the team Euro, what the hell does that mean? We don't pay the players their salaries? We pay them 80,000 euros with a buyout of 6M?

Lets make this a basketball team first! Not using the best opportunites at our disposal is only going to hurt our asset base further.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#20 » by MrBojangelz71 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:37 pm

from24ft wrote:This is why there will always be a euro conflict here...

None of you guys are talking about specific players, just a continent. Lets make the team Euro, what the hell does that mean? We don't pay the players their salaries? We pay them 80,000 euros with a buyout of 6M?

Lets make this a basketball team first! Not using the best opportunites at our disposal is only going to hurt our asset base further.

Not sure who said to make this a Euro team? We are speaking about bringing in Messina and that he may very well be the best available coach out there. I agree that we should be bringing in the best players we can afford and get our hands on, wherever they may currently reside. In order to get whoever we bring in to start playing with discipline and effort, Messina might be our guy.

Return to Toronto Raptors