ImageImageImageImageImage

Chisholm: Five Raptors Positives Part 1

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Re: Chisholm: Five Raptors Positives Part 1 

Post#21 » by MEDIC » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:10 am

C_Money wrote:btw, I think when they say Jay Triano will be back, they mean as an assistant coach. At least that better be what they mean. You've gotta wonder how comitted the organization is to winning if he's back head coaching next season.

Comments like this one are a joke. I am not sure why so many of you are in denial.

What do these comment mean to you?

I've been on record as saying Jay is doing a terrific job, his ideas are the right ones. If he were to be rated out right now, outside of the obvious winning and losing record, he has done a nice job taking over in mid-season.

When you look at everything, analyzing things and watching how he works with players on the court, to see the attention he pays to them, you see he did a very solid job for coming in at mid-season.

He was dealt a bad hand.

To see him handle these situations the way he has is very impressive," Colangelo said. "He has the players' respect and he speaks to them very directly. He's a solid motivator but he's also a very solid teacher. He absolutely understands the game and I think we are on the same page philosophically on a lot of things.

We're obviously disappointed in the results that we are getting right now and even some of the performances we are getting. But, at the same time, you have to look at things realistically and he has solidified the notion that he was the right choice and he has continued to gain momentum with respect to being a lead candidate for the position going forward

All comments from Triano's Boss. He hasn't been secretive about his support for JT. By saying that JT has "been dealt a bad hand", BC is obviously acknowledging that the team is the problem.....not the head coach. The part that I underlined pretty much says it all.

I don't think it is possible for a Head Coach to cause a team to be this bad. Think about it.

I've maintained all year that JT will be back. I will also say that this team will be a LOT better next year with some new payers & him as the head coach. Give our "rookie" head coach a little more time to establish himself (just like we have with Bargnani)...........& some better players to help establish what he is capable of doing.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#22 » by dagger » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:18 am

C_Money wrote:Speaking of Pops, why is Jay Triano playing him like 8 minutes a game? I think he's already shown that he's our 6th man. BC probably doesn't want to pay him too much so he's not playing him.

Our 6th man?

He sucks. He has so much to learn about where to play and how to play. He gambles defensively - and usually loses - gets needless fouls and is often out of position defensively so others cover up for him by fouling.

He has potential in that athleticism and should be given another year on a small contract, but don't get carried away.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,645

Post#23 » by C_Money » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:24 am

When I say he's our 6th man, thats not saying much. I think he's better than Jason Kapono and Joey Graham which would put him at 6th man on our team IMO.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,645

Post#24 » by C_Money » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:27 am

MEDIC wrote:
C_Money wrote:btw, I think when they say Jay Triano will be back, they mean as an assistant coach. At least that better be what they mean. You've gotta wonder how comitted the organization is to winning if he's back head coaching next season.

Comments like this one are a joke. I am not sure why so many of you are in denial.

What do these comment mean to you?

I've been on record as saying Jay is doing a terrific job, his ideas are the right ones. If he were to be rated out right now, outside of the obvious winning and losing record, he has done a nice job taking over in mid-season.

When you look at everything, analyzing things and watching how he works with players on the court, to see the attention he pays to them, you see he did a very solid job for coming in at mid-season.

He was dealt a bad hand.

To see him handle these situations the way he has is very impressive," Colangelo said. "He has the players' respect and he speaks to them very directly. He's a solid motivator but he's also a very solid teacher. He absolutely understands the game and I think we are on the same page philosophically on a lot of things.

We're obviously disappointed in the results that we are getting right now and even some of the performances we are getting. But, at the same time, you have to look at things realistically and he has solidified the notion that he was the right choice and he has continued to gain momentum with respect to being a lead candidate for the position going forward

All comments from Triano's Boss. He hasn't been secretive about his support for JT. By saying that JT has "been dealt a bad hand", BC is obviously acknowledging that the team is the problem.....not the head coach. The part that I underlined pretty much says it all.

I don't think it is possible for a Head Coach to cause a team to be this bad. Think about it.

I've maintained all year that JT will be back. I will also say that this team will be a LOT better next year with some new payers & him as the head coach. Give our "rookie" head coach a little more time to establish himself (just like we have with Bargnani)...........& some better players to help establish what he is capable of doing.

BC has said nothing but positive things in every single interview he's done. I wouldn't expect him to say anything negative. I said right after that, that if Jay Triano is back next season its strictly to save money and thats why the Clippers never go anywhere.
dagger
RealGM

Post#25 » by dagger » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:28 am

I'd rather have Messina, but I understand the reasons why Triano might be back. Coaches can only do so much. For two-thirds of the season, 90% of Chicago posters thought Vinny del Negro was an idiot and couldn't wait for him to be fired. And he was worse off than JT in that he couldn't seem to control some of his players - note verbal fights in practices with Noah and Tyrus - and his play calling was derided constantly.

Lo and behold the Bulls go out and get Salmons and Miller, and start winning. Now I wouldn't say that VDN is a genius, but his approval rating has gone way up with the Bulls winning.

So it's not impossible that BC will think that if he gives JT a better hand, the team will respond because Triano has never lost the locker room. The vets were riding him late in Friday night's laugher, maybe demanding a play for Quincy Douby or something, and he deliberately walked over and as part of the fun, blocked their view and the vets were laughing it up, trying to get him to move. There doesn't seem to be the tension there between vets and the coach that you might expect, partly, I presume because Jay has worked a lot with some of them and has their respect.
ansoncarter
Head Coach
And1: 367

Post#26 » by ansoncarter » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:30 am

I did a top10 just to beat chrisholm

1. Bosh might force a trade. I like bosh, but dislike the status quo
2. BC might be forced to rebuild. At least a little
3. G.S. seems to want to make a trade
4. Chicago seems to want a trade
5. Bargnanis
6. Ukic
7. nothing left
could only do 2 more than chrisholm, but thats still a win
dagger
RealGM

Post#27 » by dagger » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:31 am

C_Money wrote:When I say he's our 6th man, thats not saying much. I think he's better than Jason Kapono and Joey Graham which would put him at 6th man on our team IMO.

As much as I dislike our bench, there is still no way that's true. The guy had an amazing game or two, and everyone here started stroking their little boners in excitement, but fact is, he sucked in both Charlotte games and didn't look good against the Clippers or Thunder.

He invested a great adrenalin in his first couple of games and you can't keep that up in an 82 game schedule. Even an energy rebounder has to play with some smarts, and his aren't very developed.
dagger
RealGM

Post#28 » by dagger » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:34 am

C_Money wrote:
BC has said nothing but positive things in every single interview he's done. I wouldn't expect him to say anything negative. I said right after that, that if Jay Triano is back next season its strictly to save money and thats why the Clippers never go anywhere.

Again, I don't agree. I'd say if Triano is back it's because BC believes the team won't make the playoffs next year and wants to have JT work with the young players and then step aside after next season when the rebuilding will be that much more advanced. He's not going to hire a more experienced coach he's just going to fire mid-way through next season.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#29 » by J-Roc » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:54 am

Jay Triano will absolutely be back. Ettore Messina and Marc Iavaroni will be his assistants.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#30 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:22 am

[quote="dagger"]
[quote]Again, I don't agree. I'd say if Triano is back it's because BC believes the team won't make the playoffs next year and wants to have JT work with the young players and then step aside after next season when the rebuilding will be that much more advanced. He's not going to hire a more experienced coach he's just going to fire mid-way through next season.[/quote]

I don't think bringing Jay Triano back will be a concession by BC that the team won't make the playoffs next year. I'm not going to try to pretend like I know what BC is thinking, because I don't know--all I can do is go by what I percieve him as just based off some of his interviews in the media--and I think just missing the playoffs this year had to be frustrating as hell to a guy whose teams have made the playoffs what 9 out of the 13 years he's been a GM or something along those lines.

I think he's going to try to field a competitive team next year, one that could feature youth undoubtedly w/ the pending draft pick(s), but one that may also have some veteran additions mixed in a la 2006-07 to where they might sneak into the playoffs. The basic point is, that BC will give Triano a fighting chance at making the playoffs, and a good chance at that IMO.
Tom Baker
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#31 » by Tom Baker » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:14 pm

basketball royalty wrote:
Tom Baker wrote:
basketball royalty wrote:5. The emergence of Roko-Cop?
4. The Jay Triano experiment?

I didn't actually read it because those two are crap so I saved myself the time.

I'm not sure what you don't like about Roko. He's been one of the few bright spots on this roster, keeping in context he's a backup AND a 2nd-rounder.

As for Triano, I'm pretty convinced he'll be back. Chisholm is now the 5th media guy around the team who's said pretty much straight out that they expect Triano back:

Eric Smith
Paul Jones
Jack Armstrong
Doug Smith
now Chisholm

Keep in mind that the first 3 essentially work for the Raptors, so when I heard all three spout this within a day or so of each other, I got the feeling it was a message they're being asked to spread. On Thursday, I heard Doug Smith say the same thing on the Fan 590. Now Chisholm says the same thing.

We're being softened up for this. Triano will almost undoubtedly be back.

I have absolutely nothing against Roko, I just haven't seen a true emergence. His last game was great and he has had a couple throughout the season but nothing solid enough or prolonged enough to list as a top 5 positive.

As for Triano, I realize that there has been a media spin in favor of keeping him on but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I feel like we should put in place the coach that will be the visionary for the team for years to come, not give the guy a chance because he didn't get a training camp and we want to save some bucks.

Some positives for this season are:
1. Bargs emergence
2. Cap flexibility
3. Chance for a new direction (Real Coach)
4. Lottery pick
5. Joey's emergence

Fair enough.
Tom Baker
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#32 » by Tom Baker » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:15 pm

J-Roc wrote:
Tom Baker wrote:
basketball royalty wrote:5. The emergence of Roko-Cop?
4. The Jay Triano experiment?

I didn't actually read it because those two are crap so I saved myself the time.

I'm not sure what you don't like about Roko. He's been one of the few bright spots on this roster, keeping in context he's a backup AND a 2nd-rounder.

As for Triano, I'm pretty convinced he'll be back. Chisholm is now the 5th media guy around the team who's said pretty much straight out that they expect Triano back:

Eric Smith
Paul Jones
Jack Armstrong
Doug Smith
now Chisholm

Keep in mind that the first 3 essentially work for the Raptors, so when I heard all three spout this within a day or so of each other, I got the feeling it was a message they're being asked to spread. On Thursday, I heard Doug Smith say the same thing on the Fan 590. Now Chisholm says the same thing.

We're being softened up for this. Triano will almost undoubtedly be back.

No doubt, what happens is the media feeds out the info to find out how fans would react. Right away, fans are upset, but then you have those guys spending two hours on Hoops telling us why Triano can't be judged yet and reminding us of other coach records from 1st seasons. It's like a pamphlet has been passed out to tell them what talking points to use. Over time, fans will slowly come around to the idea.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. As I said, we're being softened up.
breignchile
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#33 » by breignchile » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:37 am

AllKnowingNBAer wrote:Roko-cop was a nickname that was first thought up of on RealGM, no?

In my world, I made up the name Roko-Cop. More proof that sports writers troll forums for ideas.

Here's the link from a post started in September that has Roko-Cop referenced:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=837453&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#34 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:56 am

Some positives for this season are:
1. Bargs emergence
2. Cap flexibility
3. Chance for a new direction (Real Coach)
4. Lottery pick
5. Joey's emergence

1. Bargnani's confidence/productivity
2. Joey Graham's new intensity and finish
3. Roko Ukic's drives to the basket and distribution
4. Bosh still producing despite obvious issues
5. Pops sick dunk machine or rather something novel to cheer about

Return to Toronto Raptors