ImageImageImageImageImage

Triano good chance to be back as Head Coach ala Armstrong

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

The Chucker
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Triano good chance to be back as Head Coach ala Armstrong 

Post#21 » by The Chucker » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:18 am

Cweb wrote:You guys sound like you know a lot about Triano and his coaching ability.

Based on what I have watched and most fans, do you think his coaching ability can help the Raptors. Seems like you like Triano and want him to be our head coach next year.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,451

Post#22 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:34 am

We're going to need to set up a suicide watch.
TheGameWinner
Veteran
And1: 1,362

Post#23 » by TheGameWinner » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:02 am

This is bad news... Triano is a good guy, but i'd rather have an experienced Coach, it's not like we have a young team that has time to grow with the coach...

Our starters are full of veterans and Bargnani lol
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Post#24 » by McFurious1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:32 am

There's nothing wrong with Triano... any coach would have had the same record, as Triano with the amount of talent and injuries on this team.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,222

Post#25 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:44 am

McFurious1 wrote:There's nothing wrong with Triano... any coach would have had the same record, as Triano with the amount of talent and injuries on this team.

Which makes him average; not good.
Do you serious believe we'd have the same record if Popovich was our coach? Most likely not.
It'll be disappointing if Triano is brought back. He's a good guy and definitely better than Smitch, but not good enough to take this team all the way. Lets build a team the right way, instead of putting band-aid solutions all over the place.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#26 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:52 am

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
McFurious1 wrote:There's nothing wrong with Triano... any coach would have had the same record, as Triano with the amount of talent and injuries on this team.

Do you serious believe we'd have the same record if Popovich was our coach? Most likely not.
It'll be disappointing if Triano is brought back. He's a good guy and definitely better than Smitch, but not good enough to take this team all the way. Lets build a team the right way, instead of putting band-aid solutions all over the place.

+1
McFurious1
Head Coach

Post#27 » by McFurious1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:57 am

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:

Coaches like Popovich don't grow on trees... maybe Triano is the next Popovich, but how the hell are you going to know that if you don't give him a chance with a heathly lineup. Triano brought out the best in Bargnani, Graham, and has a team with no hope for the playoffs fighting. He's a much better coach then what most ppl here say.
Aventador
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#28 » by Aventador » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:57 am

i lost a lot of faith when he opted to foul when we were up by 3. what coach does that pussy ****.
McFurious1
Head Coach

Post#29 » by McFurious1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:07 am

The Flyest wrote:i lost a lot of faith when he opted to foul when we were up by 3. what coach does that pussy ****.

that was a smart play... and worked
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#30 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:15 am

McFurious1 wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:

Coaches like Popovich don't grow on trees... maybe Triano is the next Popovich, but how the hell are you going to know that if you don't give him a chance with a heathly lineup. Triano brought out the best in Bargnani, Graham, and has a team with no hope for the playoffs fighting. He's a much better coach then what most ppl here say.

I see your point but he hasn't exactly shown flashes of greatness during his time as head coach this year.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,645

Post#31 » by C_Money » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:24 am

You know the only reason why he's on this team is because he's Canadian. If it wasn't for that he'd probably be coaching for some crappy division 1 school in the NEC or something.
McFurious1
Head Coach

Post#32 » by McFurious1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:49 am

C_Money wrote:You know the only reason why he's on this team is because he's Canadian. If it wasn't for that he'd probably be coaching for some crappy division 1 school in the NEC or something.

I think thats a big misconception from a lot of fans when it comes to Triano. Most fans can't grasp the fact that a Canadian can be a good coach in the nba.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,645

Post#33 » by C_Money » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:56 am

No I'm saying if he wasn't Canadian he wouldn't have got the head coaching job with Team Canada, which wouldn't have led to him being an assistant coach with the Raptors. How many good Canadian coaches are there ? Five? If he lived in the US and he was lucky he'd be a division 1 coach on a crappy team like Jack Armstrong was.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#34 » by Gold Chain » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:56 pm

chsh22 wrote:I think Sam winds up with the Minny job, which should free us up to find another coach.

I am a little foggy on this detail.

So if the Wolves were to hire Mitchell, how much of Sam's salary would we still be on the hook for?

Calling all salary cap gurus. 8-)
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,275

Post#35 » by Shaazzam » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:01 pm

double c wrote:
chsh22 wrote:I think Sam winds up with the Minny job, which should free us up to find another coach.

So if the Wolves were to hire Mitchell, how much of Sam's salary would we still be on the hook for?

Depends on how much they sign him for. What ever he signs for, lessens what we owe him.

ie we owe $4M he signs for $2M we are on the hook for $2M
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#36 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:13 pm

C_Money wrote:No I'm saying if he wasn't Canadian he wouldn't have got the head coaching job with Team Canada, which wouldn't have led to him being an assistant coach with the Raptors. How many good Canadian coaches are there ? Five? If he lived in the US and he was lucky he'd be a division 1 coach on a crappy team like Jack Armstrong was.

The coach of Team Canada doesn't have to be a Canadian, you also failed to mention he is now an assistant with Team USA meaning he's clearly respected in the United States when it comes to coaching.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#37 » by Gold Chain » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:14 pm

Shaazzam wrote:
double c wrote:

Depends on how much they sign him for. What ever he signs for, lessens what we owe him.

ie we owe $4M he signs for $2M we are on the hook for $2M

So if he hypothetically signed for 4 million, we would owe him nothing?

I am still not sold on the fact that Triano's prolonged tenure as head coach is solely about money for Colangelo. He likes to take chances on no-name coaches (D'Antoni) and I think he may see Jay as a diamond in the rough.

I may be alone in this thought, but I am not that sour on bring back Jay next year with a better roster. I actually like his system and I think with repition and some better effort on defence, we could be alright next year.
killerbs
Analyst
And1: 46

Post#38 » by killerbs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:14 pm

Messina will be our saviour!
Trax416
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#39 » by Trax416 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:22 pm

The Flyest wrote:i lost a lot of faith when he opted to foul when we were up by 3. what coach does that pussy ****.

That was a smart play.

The last play during Smithc's last game, which pushed BC over the edge was the same circumstance.

We were up by three, seconds left. Instead of fouling, Smitch ran a stupid defensive play. We lost the game because of it.

That is was the final straw that got him fired.
ballercb4
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#40 » by ballercb4 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:24 pm

OMG YESSSSSSSSSSS

Return to Toronto Raptors