ImageImageImageImageImage

Hypothetically: We get the first pick

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ZeriousLy
Lead Assistant
And1: 775

Re: Hypothetically: We get the first pick 

Post#21 » by ZeriousLy » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:11 pm

chrome381 wrote:
ZeriousLy wrote:Love how people think Griffin is going to be an automatic stud. I think Greg Monroe can be a better PF than Blake Griffin in the NBA.

his insane dunks haven't brainwashed you yet???

I'll take take a player with a great skill set and decent athleticism over a player who relies solely on his athleticism, especially if he's a big man.
stopnpop
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#22 » by stopnpop » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:13 pm

chrome381 wrote:
ZeriousLy wrote:Love how people think Griffin is going to be an automatic stud. I think Greg Monroe can be a better PF than Blake Griffin in the NBA.

his ceiling is Boozer, i see him being 15/9..and dont forget he wont be a defensive presence in the nba......and that is if he goes to a team that uses him properly....if he goes to a team that has some players who demand the ball i see him closer to 10/7.....in his career he may make one or two allstar games...he'll end up being between 5-7th best player out of the draft

dont believe the hype
ZeriousLy
Lead Assistant
And1: 775

Post#23 » by ZeriousLy » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:14 pm

Rapsfan4life wrote:Would you guys be ok if we get the first pick and trade it to memphis along with the cash we got in the heat deal for OJ Mayo and there first round draft pick? we get our SG we've always needed (since VC) and we can get another solid player at the 4-8 range (maybe pick up earl clark and let marion walk) our starting 5 would be

calderon
mayo
clark
bosh
bargnani

that team could go far in the future.

No way, why would Memphis trade OJ Mayo, who already a future all-star that he can play in the NBA for an unproven draft pick?

It would be nice though :D.
stopnpop
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#24 » by stopnpop » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:15 pm

Rapsfan4life wrote:Would you guys be ok if we get the first pick and trade it to memphis along with the cash we got in the heat deal for OJ Mayo and there first round draft pick? we get our SG we've always needed (since VC) and we can get another solid player at the 4-8 range (maybe pick up earl clark and let marion walk) our starting 5 would be

calderon
mayo
clark
bosh
bargnani

like it...but better if u take out clark...he sucks...put in derozen..or better yet sign childress
Rapsfan4life
Rookie
And1: 56

Post#25 » by Rapsfan4life » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:16 pm

ZeriousLy wrote:

calderon
mayo
clark
bosh
bargnani

No way, why would Memphis trade OJ Mayo, who already a future all-star that he can play in the NBA for an unproven draft pick?

It would be nice though :D.

Well memphis did trade gasol for a bust of a first overall pick and his bigger slower, less athletic brother.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#26 » by dagger » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:22 pm

Spome of you 'tards should have stayed in school.

Thorpe has it exactly right:

/Lottery Team GM: So regardless of what my team "needs" are, if I win the #1 pick and already have an established PF, do I draft Griffin?

David Thorpe: Without doubt.

So it's Griffin at $3.5 million, rising to no more than $6.5 million through the course of his rookie scale, while Bosh's contract during the same period will go over $20 million. Now there's one for a rocket scientist.

What could we do with the extra money by paying Griffin instead of Bosh...?

Well, maybe we could pay Caron Butler to be our shooting guard? Might we could get him for Bosh?
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#27 » by YogiStewart » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:36 pm

dagger wrote:Spome of you 'tards should have stayed in school.

if you are going to call people "(Please Use More Appropriate Word)", at least spell it right, dagger :)
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#28 » by Undefeated » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:39 pm

dagger wrote:

/Lottery Team GM: So regardless of what my team "needs" are, if I win the #1 pick and already have an established PF, do I draft Griffin?

Well, maybe we could pay Caron Butler to be our shooting guard? Might we could get him for Bosh?

Yes.

I must agree with Thorpe, even though if any team has a set player at any position, the GM should still go and grab the best player available up on the board. Even if the Raptors do end up receiving the first overall pick, I think it would be a dumb move not to draft Griffin. So what if the Raptors had another PF, this would only allow Colangelo to be more expandable and allow him to bring in other assets that could fill in the gaps of this team. Look at last year’s draft, Chicago already had a legitimate PG in Hinrich even though the best player in the draft was a PG and it didn’t stop them from drafting another playmaker.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
j3yuen
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#29 » by j3yuen » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:43 pm

draft blake griffin
say goodbye to either bosh or bargs....
:)
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#30 » by timdunkit » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:49 pm

j3yuen wrote:draft blake griffin
say goodbye to either bosh or bargs....
:)

Actually, its more like say good bye to Bosh or possibly Griffen. Unlike Bosh and Griffen, Bargs has the size to play C and therefore would make the least sense to move him. Bosh would likely be gone because of the uncertainty surrounding him and the cost to retain him. Griffen actually does have a slight chance of been traded as well, if BC gets an offer for a good wing, he might take it!

Percentage wise I would say: Bosh 90% to be gone, Griffen 9.999% gone and Bargnani 0.001% gone ....
Neal04
Junior
And1: 5

Post#31 » by Neal04 » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:52 pm

dagger wrote:Spome of you 'tards should have stayed in school.

So it's Griffin at $3.5 million, rising to no more than $6.5 million through the course of his rookie scale, while Bosh's contract during the same period will go over $20 million. Now there's one for a rocket scientist.

That's a great point, we basically trade our most valuable asset to balance our roster and fill other holes and at the same time have a young player who could potential fill the place of Bosh.
Marvin!
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 806

Post#32 » by Marvin! » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:05 pm

Undefeated wrote:WTF? How is Griffin an undersized PF, he's a legit 6'10" which is the same height as Bosh. How tall do you expect a PF to be in the league? Most PFs in the league are in the range of 6'8"-6'10". Anyways, from Bobcat this week, it seems that Colangelo wants to blow up the core and the first one out the door seems to be Bosh. If the Raptors do potentially get the first pick, Griffin would be a really great fit for BC's vision which is playing the running game to fill in the hole of Bosh.

Bosh measured 6' 10.5 without shoes and 6' 11.5 with shoes as a 19 year old...
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#33 » by 02102007 » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:29 pm

listen y'all if da toronto raptors get the #1 pick. I will lick 1 mod's shoe.

beautiful sentiment that was edited for family viewing. YogiStewart
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#34 » by EventHorizon » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:42 pm

Griffin with out a doubt. Bosh will be gone for a SG.
Mufasa_BenLinus
Senior

Post#35 » by Mufasa_BenLinus » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:49 pm

stopnpop wrote:
chrome381 wrote:

his ceiling is Boozer, i see him being 15/9..and dont forget he wont be a defensive presence in the nba......and that is if he goes to a team that uses him properly....if he goes to a team that has some players who demand the ball i see him closer to 10/7.....in his career he may make one or two allstar games...he'll end up being between 5-7th best player out of the draft

dont believe the hype

Well I wouldn't go *that* far, lol.

Griffin's quickness and ball handling skills still impress me enough to put him top 2 in this draft... I think those will carry over excellently, but his physical game won't translate over at all. I could see him having the same signature move as Bosh - Picking it up at midrange and driving to the FT line. He'll also be good at running the floor and in general finishing with his great hands. His ceiling is still around Boozer/Amare/Bosh robin scoring PF/weak at d all-star level.

Shareef might end up a good comparison actually, as he was a bit undersized and didn't have a great jumpshot, but was really agile and good at going to the hoop.

I think Greg Monroe definitely has a higher ceiling and more overall natural skill, but is much less of a sure bet. But I think he's staying this year anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if he's top 3 next year after a big hike statistically.
Ettore Messina says all he needs is a point guard, a defensive stopper, a scorer, and a center.

Raptors draft board:
Ricky Rubio (the PG)
Gerald Henderson (the defensive stopper)
Hasheem Thabeet (the center)

It's time to fill the holes
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#36 » by Undefeated » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:57 pm

Marvin! wrote:
Undefeated wrote:WTF? How is Griffin an undersized PF, he's a legit 6'10" which is the same height as Bosh. How tall do you expect a PF to be in the league? Most PFs in the league are in the range of 6'8"-6'10". Anyways, from Bobcat this week, it seems that Colangelo wants to blow up the core and the first one out the door seems to be Bosh. If the Raptors do potentially get the first pick, Griffin would be a really great fit for BC's vision which is playing the running game to fill in the hole of Bosh.

Bosh measured 6' 10.5 without shoes and 6' 11.5 with shoes as a 19 year old...

Closest physical (height & weight) comparison to Griffin at this moment would be Brand in 1999 in my opinion. At worst, Griffin will be about 6' 8.25" w/o shoes which is still fairly decent for a PF.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Mufasa_BenLinus
Senior

Post#37 » by Mufasa_BenLinus » Thu Apr 9, 2009 12:03 am

Keep in mind Brand's arms are ridiculously long. His wingspan makes him able to play like a 7 footer and has been able to guard centers in the past. That negated his lesser size. Griffin's arms are actually a bit short.
Ettore Messina says all he needs is a point guard, a defensive stopper, a scorer, and a center.

Raptors draft board:
Ricky Rubio (the PG)
Gerald Henderson (the defensive stopper)
Hasheem Thabeet (the center)

It's time to fill the holes
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#38 » by Volcano » Thu Apr 9, 2009 12:16 am

#1 Pick + Jose for #2 Pick + Caron Butler

EDIT: forgot Wizards had Arenas..lol
souljah006
Junior
And1: 100

Post#39 » by souljah006 » Thu Apr 9, 2009 12:46 am

We draft trade the #1 pick and Jason Kapono/Marcus Banks for #3 and cash (#3 because that's are way of convincing them to take on JKilla and banks and then basically tell rubio to not work out for any team)

Then draft Rubio

Then trade Jose to sacremento for KMart and Bobby Jackson

Then resign Marion and AP

Sign Rasho

Bargnani/Rasho
Bosh/POPS
Marion/Graham
Kmart/AP/BJackson
Rubio/Roko/BJackson
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#40 » by EventHorizon » Thu Apr 9, 2009 12:58 am

We draft Griffin.
Trade Bosh to Washington for Young and Rubio.
Trade Calderon for Wilson Chandler.

Bargnani/Rasho/Hump
Griffin/Pops/Hump
Chandler/Kapono
Young/Kapono
Rubio/Roko/Banks

I can dream right?

Return to Toronto Raptors