ImageImageImageImageImage

What's more important: winning or entertainment?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Which would you rather?

Phoenix Model
23%
San Antonio Model
77%

Total votes: 44

Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

What's more important: winning or entertainment? 

Post#1 » by Troubadour » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:54 pm

I was having this conversation with my teacher the other day (he's a Raptors fan).

He was saying that he'd rather have a team like Phoenix:
- Win a ton of regular season games
- Go one or two rounds in the playoffs
- Most entertaining team in the league (up-tempo)

As opposed to a Spurs type model:
- Win a lot of regular season games
- Win championships
- Painful to watch (grind-it-out half court)

Which would you prefer?
ZeriousLy
Lead Assistant
And1: 775

Re: What's more important: winning or entertainment? 

Post#2 » by ZeriousLy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:55 pm

you can only lose for so long...
HighOctane
Lead Assistant
And1: 363

Post#3 » by HighOctane » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Entertaining Winning
Troubadour
RealGM

Post#4 » by Troubadour » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:58 pm

HighOctane wrote:Entertaining Winning

That's nearly impossible to get. The best example that comes to mind are the Laker teams of the 80s. Players like Magic don't grow on trees.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#5 » by timdunkit » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Troubadour wrote:
HighOctane wrote:Entertaining Winning

That's nearly impossible to get. The best example that comes to mind are the Laker teams of the 80s. Players like Magic don't grow on trees.

THats because you take winnign as winning a championship ... winning also includes having good teams win 50 games like Utah and Dallas and the Suns ....

Winning is entertaining ..... and the spurs are not boring, people need to watch there games more often.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#6 » by hsb » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:05 pm

I think Spurs fans found it more entertaining to win against Phoenix than Phoenix fans got from just being in the playoffs. Just a hunch.

I'll take the model that produces longer periods of entertainment.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#7 » by Hendrix » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:07 pm

I think I could get behiind a team like the old Pistons more so then a team like the Suns. I find a team that will shut you down and play great team ball to be entertaining myself, and I think a team full of gritty defenders would do well with the Toronto fan base that like's to see effort.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#8 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:07 pm

To me, winning is important....what was so great about the Pheonix Suns is that they won and they were entertaining.

It is extremely hard to do what the Spurs have done...in that you need a great coach (Popovich), you need a Hall-of-Famer (Tim Duncan), and need a couple of other all-stars, one of which is selfless (Manu Ginobili)...they are entertaining b/c they win...and they systematically beat you to a pulp.

But, there's something intriguing to me about the Pheonix-model...the fact that it can inflate the level of performance of so many players, once it gets perfected...one of these days that style could very well win the championship.
Troubadour
RealGM

Post#9 » by Troubadour » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:10 pm

I guess it's all about taste, but my favourite thing to watch is a team just light it up. There's nothing more beautiful than the swish of a basketball.
Muhammad_Ali
Starter
And1: 607

Post#10 » by Muhammad_Ali » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:10 pm

The playoffs are all about grind it out so I'll go with winning!
ForeveRaptorFan
Sixth Man
And1: 11

Post#11 » by ForeveRaptorFan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:20 pm

Winning = Entertainment.
Following Bargnani's Progress since entering the League: Bargnani, Ill Mago, Barney, Bustnani, Bust and a Nani, Beastnani, Beardnani, Killer B...
just23
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#12 » by just23 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:20 pm

Anyone ever think that winning is entertaining?

What makes the Spurs a boring team for casual fans is how fundamental and disciplined an approach they take. And also every year, except this one, they are a top defensive team which doesn't take stupid gambles. They have a great coaching staff and a group of extremely talented players who want to win, instead of make more highlight reels. For people who appreciate their amazingly high technical ability they're an great team to watch. So are the Celtics. They run plays smoothly and very rarely do they panic and attempt bad passes or shots. That's something I could never say for the Raptors. Ever watch them run a pick and roll? It's painful. I'd much rather have a clone of the Spurs than the Suns. They may be entertaining for a while, but everyone grows tired of knowing they can never beat the more defensively superior squads.
The Spurs could have been a team like the Suns. Duncan, while a great post player, always got up and down the court quite well for a guy his size. Tony Parker is one of the quickest players around and Ginobli has never had a problem with playing an attacking role on offense. They just choose to focus on winning rather than pleasing more casual fans. That's why they'll always be one of my favorite teams.
Troubadour
RealGM

Post#13 » by Troubadour » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:26 pm

I wouldn't say I'm a "casual" fan; however, I prefer watching the Suns of old. High-scoring games are always more fun to watch.
timdunkit
RealGM

Post#14 » by timdunkit » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:29 pm

just23 wrote:Anyone ever think that winning is entertaining?

What makes the Spurs a boring team for casual fans is how fundamental and disciplined an approach they take. And also every year, except this one, they are a top defensive team which doesn't take stupid gambles. They have a great coaching staff and a group of extremely talented players who want to win, instead of make more highlight reels. For people who appreciate their amazingly high technical ability they're an great team to watch. So are the Celtics. They run plays smoothly and very rarely do they panic and attempt bad passes or shots. That's something I could never say for the Raptors. Ever watch them run a pick and roll? It's painful. I'd much rather have a clone of the Spurs than the Suns. They may be entertaining for a while, but everyone grows tired of knowing they can never beat the more defensively superior squads.
The Spurs could have been a team like the Suns. Duncan, while a great post player, always got up and down the court quite well for a guy his size. Tony Parker is one of the quickest players around and Ginobli has never had a problem with playing an attacking role on offense. They just choose to focus on winning rather than pleasing more casual fans. That's why they'll always be one of my favorite teams.

The Spurs are only boring because thats what people percieve them us. The media and everyone has given them that perception but Manu and TP are two of the most flashiest guys to watch ...
KingstonRaptors
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#15 » by KingstonRaptors » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:35 pm

timdunkit wrote:
The Spurs are only boring because thats what people percieve them us. The media and everyone has given them that perception but Manu and TP are two of the most flashiest guys to watch ...

I totally agree. Parker and Manu are the best/entertaining back court duo to watch. It's unfortunate Manu is out for the rest of the year.
Credit to triplemke23 for the sig.
vjkid
Pro Prospect
And1: 290

Post#16 » by vjkid » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Winning is Entertaining!
timdunkit
RealGM

Post#17 » by timdunkit » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:44 pm

KingstonRaptors wrote:
timdunkit wrote:

I totally agree. Parker and Manu are the best/entertaining back court duo to watch. It's unfortunate Manu is out for the rest of the year.

Tottaly :( ... TP is always cutting and doing things that will leave you in awe in the lane atleast 3-5 times a game ... besides how can a Spurs game ever be boring when eva longoria is in the stands :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#18 » by Death Knight » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:48 pm

San Antonio is actually pretty exciting.
AB_21
Analyst
And1: 23

Post#19 » by AB_21 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:49 pm

A fun time is fun.
Nothing beats a championship team.
Chandler55
Pro Prospect
And1: 341

Post#20 » by Chandler55 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:50 pm

this is a tough one, I think winning should trump all in all cases, however, I would not be happy if we turned into the new jersey devils and set a trend in basketball where boring play becomes popular. they really messed the nhl up, theres like 4 or 5 teams now that play that trap style in hockey and it is annoying as hell

Return to Toronto Raptors