ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the NBA have a rebuild of jerseys?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

diggity_88
Junior
And1: 0

Should the NBA have a rebuild of jerseys? 

Post#1 » by diggity_88 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:08 pm

Now I just posted this in the General NBA section, but I think that place is mainly focused on the playoffs right now.. and think it'll get more discussion in here

-----------------------------------------

Personally I feel almost every team sorta looks the same. Almost all of the teams are either blue, red, and the third common is like black. Let me show you by example

Atlanta : Blue/Red
Chicago: Red
Cleveland : Blue/Red
Dallas : Blue
Denver : Blue
Detroit : Blue
Houston : Red
Clippers : Blue
Memphis : Blue
Miami : Red/ Black
Minnesota : Blue
New Jersey : Blue
New Orleans : Blue
New York : Blue
Oklahoma : Blue
Orlando : Blue
Philly : Black
Portland : Red
San Antonio : Black
Toronto : Red
Utah : Blue
Washington : I can't picture theyre jerseys right now, is it like gold /black now?

Now don't attack me if I made mistakes on some teams, because they may have changed their jersey colours, its just when i think of the team i am pretty sure that's colour of their jerseys.

But my whole point here is, that's 22 teams that I just went through. I think they're should be like a jersey colour draft or something (now i know that ideas (Please Use More Appropriate Word), but i'm just coming up with random ideas here) to try to create some diversity.

I don't think it would be as bad if they'd use a higher selection for secondary colours. The other day I saw Clevelands alternate jerseys, with the blue and yellow.. and although it was blue, it looked different, and set them apart from other team.

That's my rant, just had to get it out, and curious to see if others feel the same, or if they don't really care.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,273

Re: Should the NBA have a rebuild of jerseys? 

Post#2 » by Shaazzam » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:11 pm

blue and red are primary colors
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#3 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:13 pm

The thing is they still have to sell Jerseys. No one is going to buy a hot pink or magenta jersey and wear it.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
JL5
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#4 » by JL5 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:17 pm

Washington is blue as well. You're thinking of their alternates. I think...

Anyways, surprisingly, I actually never noticed this. But now that you point it out, it does seem undeniable. I'm going to agree with Yuri though, they're probably just going with what appears to be popular, though you're right, it does get a little boring to look at sometimes (Toronto, Portland, Miami, Chicago).

That reminds me, I still need to get a black Raptors jersey. Sigh...
diggity_88
Junior

Post#5 » by diggity_88 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:18 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:The thing is they still have to sell Jerseys. No one is going to buy a hot pink or magenta jersey and wear it.

Ya, that's using the worse case scenario though. When making the jerseys, i'm sure the owners get those highly fashion designers to help with the designs of the jersey. Now, hot pink and fruity purple might not be the greatest colours... but im pretty sure a yellow, or orange, and green could make some pretty fashionable jerseys. Even purple, if matched with the right colours could look wicked.
RealGood
Pro Prospect
And1: 14

Post#6 » by RealGood » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:33 pm

I guess NBA did some market research and came to 1 conclusion: BLUE SELLS!
rapsfanday1
Sophomore

Post#7 » by rapsfanday1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Boston - green
Charlotte - Orange
LA Lakers - Yellow
Milwaukee - Green
Indiana - Yellow
Utah - Purple
San Antonio - Black
Phoenix - Orange/Purple
Golden State - Yellow

All the teams you have listed as blue, are different shades of blue, u cant mistake the Grizzlies blue for a denver blue.

Its also deal with marketing too, I dont think a lot of people want to be wearing the old Vancouver Grizzlies Teal, or Pistons Teal of the late 90's, or the old Raptors Purple Dinosaur on the front. A lot of it has to do with style, and those colors never seem to go outta fashion. Also has deals with tradition, can you really think of the Boston Celtics any other color than green?
Exar Kun
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Exar Kun » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:39 pm

One thing i like that Hockey does is, home team wears the 'road' jersey. it makes no sense for the home team to wear white. If the Raps wear red, and the fans all wear red, it looks a lot better. It would also avoid the Nets fiasco 2 years ago where they also wore red.
diggity_88
Junior

Post#9 » by diggity_88 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 pm

rapsfanday1 wrote:Boston - green
Charlotte - Orange
LA Lakers - Yellow
Milwaukee - Green
Indiana - Yellow
Utah - Purple
San Antonio - Black
Phoenix - Orange/Purple
Golden State - Yellow

All the teams you have listed as blue, are different shades of blue, u cant mistake the Grizzlies blue for a denver blue.

Its also deal with marketing too, I dont think a lot of people want to be wearing the old Vancouver Grizzlies Teal, or Pistons Teal of the late 90's, or the old Raptors Purple Dinosaur on the front. A lot of it has to do with style, and those colors never seem to go outta fashion. Also has deals with tradition, can you really think of the Boston Celtics any other color than green?

I swear Utah is dark blue and light blue. But, anyways.. the raptors purple dinosaur is a logo.. I didnt say they had to have their old jerseys up there, just a more variety of color. And you do have a good point of the Boston thing.. I was gonna put in my post about the draft thing that, settled franchises would be entitled to keep their colours. Like Boston and their infamous green, along with Lakers and the purple and yellow, spurs and the silver and black.
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#10 » by SpaceJam » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:22 pm

diggity_88 wrote:
rapsfanday1 wrote:Boston - green
Charlotte - Orange
LA Lakers - Yellow
Milwaukee - Green
Indiana - Yellow
Utah - Purple
San Antonio - Black
Phoenix - Orange/Purple
Golden State - Yellow

I swear Utah is dark blue and light blue. But, anyways.. the raptors purple dinosaur is a logo.. I didnt say they had to have their old jerseys up there, just a more variety of color. And you do have a good point of the Boston thing.. I was gonna put in my post about the draft thing that, settled franchises would be entitled to keep their colours. Like Boston and their infamous green, along with Lakers and the purple and yellow, spurs and the silver and black.

Yes, they wear Blue, not purple.
_________
bychai
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: forward, not backward. upward not forward. and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Post#11 » by bychai » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:28 pm

shoutout to Slam Dumb! for ignoring my email!
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#12 » by YogiStewart » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:45 pm

here's the problem....

hockey's probably the best apparel/jersey sport. you have colours and you have a giant crest. all crests/logos are unique.

basketball - no one has their logo on their jerseys. not sure why that never evolved....i mean, Toronto had the horrible Dino jerseys, but in the 90s EVERYONE was confused about everything.

the only way bball jerseys could be revamped would be:
1) inclusion of crest/logo instead of words across the chest
2) have a hockey-esque colour scheme on all jerseys (the Raptors currently have it with the chevrons on the side stich).

by the way, the worst jersey? 76ers, which is a Glad garbage bag with the 76ers logo across the front.
Muhammad_Ali
Starter
And1: 607

Post#13 » by Muhammad_Ali » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:48 pm

Muhammad_Ali
Starter
And1: 607

Post#14 » by Muhammad_Ali » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:48 pm

dp
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#15 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:50 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
by the way, the worst jersey? 76ers, which is a Glad garbage bag with the 76ers logo across the front.

Not so sure... I really hated this one.

I also loathed the All-Star game jerseys.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#16 » by J Dilla » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:58 pm

The thing with Hockey jerseys is, they're really expensive. I tried getting an Ovechkin jersey, it was costing me almost 220. Hockey is one expensive sport I must say.

Basketball its almost 89 dollars for a stitched up jersey.
diggity_88
Junior

Post#17 » by diggity_88 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:01 pm

Muhammad_Ali wrote:Image

I actually think that looks sick as hell, where'd u find that?
kungriffey
Sophomore

Post#18 » by kungriffey » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:11 pm

J Dilla wrote:The thing with Hockey jerseys is, they're really expensive. I tried getting an Ovechkin jersey, it was costing me almost 220. Hockey is one expensive sport I must say.

Basketball its almost 89 dollars for a stitched up jersey.

+1 I love hockey jerseys...but they're too damn expensive
Mr. Perfect
Analyst
And1: 1,275

Post#19 » by Mr. Perfect » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:16 pm

I don't know about re-doing the jerseys, but I think the NBA should make their jerseys more tight-fitted like some College teams have done, see Ohio State and Florida. The tight-fitted jerseys look better IMO.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#20 » by YogiStewart » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:19 pm

actually, i take it back.
the ugliest jersey is the yellow Cavs jersey.
the one with the "tickle my rump" feather on it.

considering they have the best player in the game, the Cavs collectively have the worst jerseys. they should only be allowed to wear their orange jerseys. or they should bring these back - i really like them:

Return to Toronto Raptors