ImageImageImageImageImage

Ramifications of the Lottery

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

YKYW
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Ramifications of the Lottery 

Post#41 » by YKYW » Wed May 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Salted Meat wrote:
YKYW wrote:Considering how far into the luxury tax that Washington is at this point, the wiz can't afford to take back much in salary anyhow. Plus the GM is already downplaying the fall from 2nd to 5th by saying there is no player in this draft able to crack their starting lineup?? WTF

Send em the three mil exception for cap relief and some future 1st rounder (2013 or something) and see what he says. I got money on the fact that the ownership group could be have been convinced to pay serious luxury tax for a 1st or 2nd pick but aren't willing to pay any more for someone outside those two.

**I'm not saying Washington takes the deal straight off but I would certainly go into conversations for the 5th pick with a very low offer to start.**

I like this

but... are there any other teams that can put together a better package of cash/cap relief than us and grab the #5? I ask because, if there are, we may have to consider offering something a bit more lucrative if we want their pick.

But I think we should really press to grab this pick- as long as we don't have to give up the #9. I'd take on whatever bad contracts to make this happen. Draft Harden, then Derozan with the #9, and buy the Timberwolves pick at #18 and get Jeff Teague (or Jrue Holiday).

*sigh*

as if it'd ever happen...

I hear ya on that one and I guess all I can come up with is it depends. All the media outlets are reporting picks for sale but really, other than us there doesn't appear to be too many buyers.

Offering Washington a package of expirings and cash may be all we need to get that pick and I'm all for it. Hell I would throw in a future first like say 2013 just to sweeten it if needed. Say something like this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... eId=q29aho

Humph, Roko (both exp) and 3 mil exception for Songaila (2 yrs) and 5th this year. Like I said, I would sweeten it with a future first if needed but considering this is a 7 mil savings for wash this year plus another 4 next year, considering how strapped they are against the luxury tax, its not out of the realm of possibility. If we send a future pick they are essentially defering their first rounder to another year and if the GM seems to think that there are no players this year that can crack their starting lineup, why not do it.

This would put us with Calderon, Banks, Douby, Kapono, Bosh, Bargs, POB, Jawai going into the draft. Say we nab Harden @ 5 and T-Will (or Clark) at 9, resign Marion and Parker we look like:

Calderon/Banks
Harden/Parker/Douby
Marion/T-Will(Clark)/Kapono
Bosh/Songaila
Bargs/POB/Jawai

We still have MLE and LLE exceptions and could go backup PG (felton) and backup big (rasho)

Calderon/Felton/Banks
Harden/Parker/Douby
Marion/T-Will (Clark)/Kapono
Bosh/Songaila/POB
Bargs/Rasho/Jawai

This lineup shoud be very competative in the east and entice Bosh to stay. If it doesn't, then BC has time to deal Bosh before the deadline and not have it decimate the team. The pieces from Bosh which could be few if we have to wait till deadline, could be used to draft another C in the draft or potentially via the trade directly.

It may seem like a longshot, but I'm betting in this economic environment, these picks that are for sale are going to go for a lot cheaper than most think
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#42 » by deeps6x » Fri May 22, 2009 2:26 am

Are we even able to offer a future first pick when we already owe Miami one? Just asking, because a lot of people are proposing trades involving one of our future first round picks.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Hypz
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#43 » by Hypz » Fri May 22, 2009 4:18 am

J-Roc wrote:Thee ramification is that tanking did not work for Sacramento or Washington.

I bet they'll tank again next season.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#44 » by The Duke » Fri May 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Hypz wrote:
J-Roc wrote:Thee ramification is that tanking did not work for Sacramento or Washington.

I bet they'll tank again next season.

Sac and Wash both pick a few slots higher then Raps .... so even if they didnt get top 3, there pick is worth more the our #9 pick.

I mean wouldnt you want the #7 pick rather then #9 pick....

Return to Toronto Raptors