ImageImageImageImageImage

Smith: Printezis ISN'T coming next year; Rasho likely is

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Re: Smith: Printezis ISN'T coming next year; Rasho likely is 

Post#21 » by Anatomize » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 pm

EliteBaller wrote:Bringing Joey back might not be the worst thing if he's cheap. I still think the man can play better than we've seen. If the kid had some handles he would be a good player. That should be his main focus all summer and if he worked on it 5-6 hours everyday for 4 months I bet you he would be good with the ball. Its not that hard. But I have to question his work ethic if after 4 years in the league he still can't dribble. Maybe this time he will take the NBA seriously?

From everything I've seen Joey has been working really hard, he stays after practices, hes the first one on the court before games. When I see him in pre games he's the only one dribbling on the court a few hours before the game. Joey will have to keep to his strengths to be a successful player in the league, it's when we try to make him into a wing slasher and penetrating option that he fails. Utilize him in the post, use him for mid range catch and shoot and off screens and you have a very solid role playing SF off the bench.
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#22 » by pspot » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 pm

I don't mind the idea of Rasho and POB, I love what Bargs did last year but having a 3rd 7 footer on the bench just in case / for certain situations is never a bad thing
nm
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#23 » by Komodo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Funny we are now hearing that he's "years and years" away just a few days after hearing about his probable raise of pay overseas... but I digress. It's probably not even a loss, especially if we had to pay him at minimum what we are paying Roko.
EliteBaller
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#24 » by EliteBaller » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Anatomize wrote:
EliteBaller wrote:Bringing Joey back might not be the worst thing if he's cheap. I still think the man can play better than we've seen. If the kid had some handles he would be a good player. That should be his main focus all summer and if he worked on it 5-6 hours everyday for 4 months I bet you he would be good with the ball. Its not that hard. But I have to question his work ethic if after 4 years in the league he still can't dribble. Maybe this time he will take the NBA seriously?

From everything I've seen Joey has been working really hard, he stays after practices, hes the first one on the court before games. When I see him in pre games he's the only one dribbling on the court a few hours before the game. Joey will have to keep to his strengths to be a successful player in the league, it's when we try to make him into a wing slasher and penetrating option that he fails. Utilize him in the post, use him for mid range catch and shoot and off screens and you have a very solid role playing SF off the bench.

When he is dribbling in pregames have you ever seen him actually do dribbling drills to improve that facet of his game? Because if you just simply bounce a ball between your legs and back and forth or whatever you won't really improve. Perhaps maybe he isn't getting the proper training to do so? I am just baffled. Maybe his arms are too big?lol
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#25 » by Anatomize » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:45 pm

EliteBaller wrote:
Anatomize wrote:

When he is dribbling in pregames have you ever seen him actually do dribbling drills to improve that facet of his game? Because if you just simply bounce a ball between your legs and back and forth or whatever you won't really improve. Perhaps maybe he isn't getting the proper training to do so? I am just baffled. Maybe his arms are too big?lol

There could be a variety of reasons why, look im a 5'8 white guy who shoots jumpers all day but when I try to dribble, I'm just mediocre. It's not like I haven't tried working on my handles, I simply can't improve them the way I'd like too. Breaking my left wrist earlier in my life doesn't help either, and I don't have the palming ability other guards do?

What does that say? It's like knocking out someone, its more of a genetic thing, not simply power. Your hip movement is important, but the size or your fists and the amount of power you're able to generate is also genetically and motion inclined.

When it comes to dribbling, like dunking, some people have it, and some people don't. For some, practice will only marginally improve this facet of their game. You can teach Shaq how to shoot free throws, but he will only improve slightly because genetically his hands are too big for the ball to release it properly, he also has poor mechanics on top of that; so it's a bit of both.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#26 » by Komodo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Concerning Joey, I have but one thing to say...

"It's not you, it's me."
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#27 » by Rhettmatic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:13 pm

I still don't see Geezy coming back, even after the Kapono move.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Lauzy Lau
Junior
And1: 28

Post#28 » by Lauzy Lau » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:14 pm

I really don't think Joey will be back. My expectation is that the wings will consist of Marion, Delfino, DeRozan, Free Agent Signing (we still have 9M to play with) and then some leftover scrubs sitting at 13-15..
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#29 » by Anatomize » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:15 pm

Lauzy Lau wrote:I really don't think Joey will be back. My expectation is that the wings will consist of Marion, Delfino, DeRozan, Free Agent Signing (we still have 9M to play with) and then some leftover scrubs sitting at 13-15..

the 9M depends on the size of Marion's signing no?
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#30 » by Rhettmatic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Lauzy Lau wrote:I really don't think Joey will be back. My expectation is that the wings will consist of Marion, Delfino, DeRozan, Free Agent Signing (we still have 9M to play with) and then some leftover scrubs sitting at 13-15..

We won't have 9M to play with if we bring back Marion or Delfino. We could use the MLE on a wing but Colangelo still wants a backup point guard since Ukic sucks.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#31 » by J-Roc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:18 pm

If the competition was fair, Hump would beat out Evans in a landslide.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#32 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:20 pm

J-Roc wrote:If the competition was fair, Hump would beat out Evans in a landslide.

Why? And why wouldn't the competition be fair? Humps is younger, makes less money, and has been with the team longer.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
distracted
Veteran
And1: 56

Post#33 » by distracted » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:26 pm

J-Roc wrote:If the competition was fair, Hump would beat out Evans in a landslide.

Fair would be Hump realizing he's not MJ and then we wouldn't need to trade for Evans in the first place.

Hump's only enemy is himself, not some weird conspiracy against him from management.
DarkKnight
Analyst
And1: 672

Post#34 » by DarkKnight » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:57 pm

Hump isn't as good a defender or rebounder as Evans is, and he insists on trying to score outside the flow of the offense. Evans should win that battle easily.

As for the potential for having too many bigs, you have 12 active spots and 3 more inactives. Here's a generic breakdown

Starting PG
Backup PG
Combo 3rd PG/SG (Inactive unless injuries to Starter/Backup)
Starting SG
Backup SG
Starting SF
Backup SF
Backup SG/SF combo
Starting PF
Backup PF
Starting C
Backup C
Backup PF/C combo
Project Player 1
Project Player 2

5 starters, 5 direct backups, 3 tweener backups, and 2 projects is a reasonable generic roster construction. So for the Raptors bigs, Bosh/Bargs are the 2 starters, Evans/Rasho would be the direct backups, Hump would be the tweener backup (or switch evans/hump, either way), and POB is a project player. I don't see the issue from a roster construction perspective.

Edit: Not sure how Jawai fits into this. D-league?
"JJ is a fineness player." - knickerbocker2k2 (meaning to say "finesse", about James Johnson)
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#35 » by Avenger » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:36 pm

This is Doug Smith talking out of his ass again. I'm not a scout or anything but i've watched a few Olympiacos games and there is no way he is years and years away from being ready in the NBA, that's just complete nonsense. I think he's easily an average backup SF right now, Doug really needs better sources, because he's been using that line since we drafted GP
OlFlashy
Rookie
And1: 363

Post#36 » by OlFlashy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:37 pm

I'd be quite happy with Rasho coming off the bench as the first big.

Evans to bump 'n hustle as the second big is fine by me -- Pops might be a more cost
effective version of Reggie, who's not getting any better or younger (there's a reason
his minutes are so limited). Although we save a little over a mil, I would have rather
kept a more skilled player like Kapono than make that trade.
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#37 » by EventHorizon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:45 pm

Definitely bring back Rasho (The Legend) if he is willing to sign for the veteran minimum. But why spend even a million for a guy with minimal utility? For a million more you could get Chris Wilcox, and for 3 million more you could probably get Zaza.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#38 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:51 pm

We won't have 9M to play with if we bring back Marion or Delfino. We could use the MLE on a wing but Colangelo still wants a backup point guard since Ukic sucks.

You can say Roko at this stage is a weak shooter or that he sometimes burys the ball but saying he sucks is a poor assessment. He sure can slash. I think he opened a few eyes in several games. I think the plan is to try and move lousy contracts like Banks and Humphries even if Colangelo said Humphries will be battling it out with Evans. Sorry but that battle is already lost. Once Banks is gone Ukic will be part of the rotation.

If Rasho completes the bigs who battles Howard, Nene, Shaq etc under the net? Looks like next year's big weakness!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#39 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:56 pm

With the savings between Kapono and Evans contracts Rasho is basically free.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,761

Post#40 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:02 pm

I still remember that one stretch of games where Humps was so important for us. Man was he good. I still have faith in him, seems like such a waste of talent if he can't mentally put it together. All he needs to do is play within the team, but he won't. Also, I'm pretty sure we'll see Evans take and miss his fair share of cringe worthy shots. He seems to never kick it back out after an offensive rebound and can't finish easy buckets. Kind of like Pops I guess.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.

Return to Toronto Raptors