ImageImageImageImageImage

30 teams in 30 days: Toronto Raptors Draft Preview

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Denisaur9
Sixth Man
And1: 653

30 teams in 30 days: Toronto Raptors Draft Preview 

Post#1 » by Denisaur9 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:50 pm

Hey found this on the main RealGM page, not sure if it has been posted already, if it has, feel free to lock it up, if not enjoy.

2008-2009 Finish: 33-49
2009 Draft Picks: 9th

Pre-Draft 2009-10 Projected Starters:
PG Jose Calderon
SG Anthony Parker
SF Shawn Marion
PF Chris Bosh
C Andrea Bargnani
Key Reserves:
PG Roko Ukic
PG Marcus Banks
SF Joey Graham
PF Reggie Evans

What the Raptors Do Well:

The Raptors made a few roster maneuvers last season by first obtaining Jermaine O’Neal from Indiana for T.J. Ford and then later sending him to Miami for Shawn Marion just before the trade deadline. Now they enter the 2009 offseason with many questions marks.

Starters Anthony Parker and Shawn Marion are both free agents and the team just traded sharpshooter Jason Kapono to Philly for Reggie Evans. With the ninth pick in this year’s draft, they hope to add another key building block to keep Chris Bosh in Toronto after this upcoming season.

Last year was a step backward for the Raps, returning to the days of missing the playoffs, while narrowly missing a 50-loss season. Chris Bosh was typical Chris Bosh and led the team in scoring and rebounding with 22.7 points and 10.0 rebounds. Jose Calderon enjoyed his first season as the undisputed starting PG and flourished with 12.8 points and a team-high 8.3 assists per game.

Bryan Colangelo brought one of his favorite Phoenix transplants in Shawn Marion, and watched him produce Matrix-like numbers with 14.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.15 steals, and 0.78 blocks per game in his 27 games as a Raptor.

But the biggest bright spot of the 2008-09 Toronto season was the improvement made by Andrea Bargnani. The former top pick had a breakout year with career highs of 15.4 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.2 blocks, 1.2 assists, and shot a deadly 40.9% from downtown.

Greatest Areas of Improvement:

Upgrade at Shooting Guard
Whether or not the Raptors retain Parker, they still need a long term solution at the 2-guard position – and not only because they just traded Kapono to the Sixers. To be successful they need to get more points from their backcourt, specifically a guy who can put the ball on the floor and score on his own.

Toughness in the Paint
While Jermaine’s knees were nearing Patrick Ewing Syndrome, he was at least providing an intimidating swatter for the Raps in the middle. Without O’Neal’s 2.0 blocks per game, the Raptors only got 1.0 block per game from Bosh and 1.24 from Bargnani. Even worse, both Bosh and Bargnani spend most of their time outside of the paint looking to shoot from deep or face up and put the ball on the floor. The addition of Evans may sound like it will help with their interior rebounding and defense, but last year he only averaged 4.6 rebounds and a putrid 0.1 blocks per game.

Who’s Gone Number 9 Recently?

The ninth pick has produced a few bright spots over the past five years, with Andre Iguodala turning into one of the best players in the 2004 NBA Draft and Joakim Noah and D.J. Augustin turning into promising young role players.

D.J. Augustin, Charlotte Bobcats

Joakim Noah, Chicago Bulls

Patrick O’Bryant, Golden State Warriors

Ike Diogu, Golden State Warriors

Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia 76ers

Who Should the Raptors Target?

For more in-depth analysis and background regarding the players that the Raptors should target in this year’s Draft, click on each player name to be redirected to Christopher Reina’s Prospect Report piece.

- Demar DeRozan of USC

If DeRozan is still available, Colangelo may streak down 34th street after the draft. Selecting the talented wing from Southern Cal would give them a high energy flyer that would fit perfectly with their offense and remind many of a young Vince Carter – before he washed out in Toronto. DeRozan could also be used to lure Marion back to the team and a starting five of Calderon, DeRozan, Marion, Bosh, and Bargnani would have many opposing coaches perplexed while designing defensive schemes.

- Gerald Henderson of Duke

Henderson could be the best available natural shooting guard when Toronto is on the clock. He could provide an athletic guard with a big NBA body who is ready to contribute immediately. His polished game at Duke included many a violent dunk and an uncanny ability to create his own shot – something the Raptors are missing.

- DeJuan Blair of Pittsburgh

While the Raps should be more focused on replacing their wing positions in the event that both Parker and Marion leave via free agency, they might be looking to get beefy up front. Who better than the guy who schooled the 7-3 Hasheem Thabeet twice this past NCAA season – DeJuan Blair. Blair is a big solid guy who’s shown his dedication by getting himself into better shape since the end of the season. While many believe he is too small and fat to play the power forward position in the league, he can cut back on the sweets and end up putting together a similar start to his career as Glen Davis has – a solid contributor on a contending ballclub.

Picks Over the Past Five Years

The Raptors have taken a lot of heat for their questionable picks in recent years, but are finally looking like they made the right choice with Andrea Bargnani as the top pick in 2006, and traded last year’s 17th pick overall (Roy Hibbert) to Indiana as part of the Jermaine O’Neal deal.

Nathan Jawai, 41st (acquired from Indiana)

None

Andrea Bargnani, 1st
P.J. Tucker, 35th
Edin Bavcic, 56th

Charlie Villanueva, 7th
Joey Graham, 16th
Roko Ukic, 41st
Uros Slokar, 58th

Rafael Araujo, 8th
Albert Miralles, 39th

Who Do the Fans Want?

According to Andrew Perna’s Toronto Raptors Lottery Summit, an interactive forum featuring the responses of true RealGM hoops fans hoping to add their two cents to the Raptors Draft discussion, the fans of Toronto have made it known that they would like a wing player.

http://raptors.realgm.com/articles/61/2 ... t_preview/
toffeemonster
Junior
And1: 3

Re: 30 teams in 30 days: Toronto Raptors Draft Preview 

Post#2 » by toffeemonster » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:06 pm

looks like all arrows are pointing to derozan
kassian
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#3 » by kassian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:08 pm

Our current key players aren't looking good.

Some changes MUST be made, starting with Delfino and maybe a backup PG/SF at MLE.
Carlos Rogers
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Carlos Rogers » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:43 pm

I think were on the verge of making 2 mistakes and the summer hasn't even started yet

A) Bringing Delfino back.... Hes to inconsistent and hasn't played NBA ball in a couple of years were not in a situation to be doing patch jobs hes a waste of cap space and has little upside.

B) Not bringing Pops back the guy brought everything the Raps lacked and could be had for cheap and has some upside and they don't want to bring him back? Makes no sense to me.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#5 » by StopitLeo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:46 pm

I'd love to get another pick to steal Gerald Henderson. I think he's very underrated.
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Post#6 » by McFurious1 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:19 pm

I want another pick too and we desperately need it. I'm still hoping for a draft day trade with Bosh no offense to Bosh but ur not signing an extension so why shouldn't we trade u? This team needs added talent if we can get a jordan hill, derozan, plus a good guard in a Bosh trade it would be for the best.
RandyLahey
Banned User

Post#7 » by RandyLahey » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:23 pm

Carlos Rogers wrote:I think were on the verge of making 2 mistakes and the summer hasn't even started yet

A) Bringing Delfino back.... Hes to inconsistent and hasn't played NBA ball in a couple of years were not in a situation to be doing patch jobs hes a waste of cap space and has little upside.

B) Not bringing Pops back the guy brought everything the Raps lacked and could be had for cheap and has some upside and they don't want to bring him back? Makes no sense to me.

i agree with pops but not with not bringing dellfino back. His offense is very sparatic and anoying but he was by far our toughest defender on the perimeter and it was felt last year. he's a hustle player, plalys good d and he can handle the ball, i welcome him back if its not for too much
Xixgon
Sophomore

Post#8 » by Xixgon » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:57 pm

1. Calderon was decent when he played (at least offensively) - he definitely did not flourish. His numbers were solid - but his adjustment (or lack thereof) to the fast paced style was tedious at best.

He needs to ignore that little voice in his head that tells him to be overly-cautious on every play.

2. Evans avg. rebs was about in line with his decline in rebounding from his Denver days. 4.6 rebs in 14.24 mins per game is not that bad - though perhaps not that good from a guy that u're bringing in solely for that purpose. It's pretty much in line with what he's done in Philly though - as he clearly not going to get as many rebs as he did on a Denver team that encouraged significantly more shot attempts on both ends.

He does need to compensate for the fact that he's a non-factor on the offensive end and in terms of blocking shots - but the options in terms of trading Kapono were likely very limited, and I think I'd settle for Evans either way - any day.

The extra 2.5 mil or so we save doesn't hurt much either :)
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#9 » by Lord Eder » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:05 pm

RandyLahey wrote:
Carlos Rogers wrote:I think were on the verge of making 2 mistakes and the summer hasn't even started yet

i agree with pops but not with not bringing dellfino back. His offense is very sparatic and anoying but he was by far our toughest defender on the perimeter and it was felt last year. he's a hustle player, plalys good d and he can handle the ball, i welcome him back if its not for too much

Not to mention he is a very good rebounder at his position.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#10 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:23 pm

A- We need depth right? I think he only hurts us if they try and make him a starter. I loved his regular season with us but he shot bricks in the playoffs. He is too versatile to not bring back.

B- Pops isn't in the plans because we have 2 very good power forwards in Bosh, Bargnani and a good bench player in Evans. Humphries and Pops are dd men out. Jawai will round out the depth at the 4.

So I disagree these are not mistakes.

Return to Toronto Raptors