ImageImageImageImageImage

One of Evans or Harden is sliding to #8

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Re: One of Evans or Harden is sliding to #8 

Post#101 » by cdel00 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:53 pm

You have a good point Tiger but MLSE would not want to send the message that tanking is an acceptable choice, since teachers try their hardest to motivate the students to do their best all the time.

I know it may make sense from a one step backwards two steps forwards POV however the youth are motivated to just move forward and try their best always.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#102 » by Mustard_Tiger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:55 pm

basketball royalty wrote:Sometimes things actually are better than they seem.

Not in basketball. Not when you are winning only 33 games with a relatively healthy roster that Colangelo took 3 years to build. Not when your entire roster can't play a semblance of defense (the one true common attribute among winning teams in the NBA).
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#103 » by The Duke » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:56 pm

They also tell you to think about your future :)
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User

Post#104 » by Mustard_Tiger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:57 pm

cdel00 wrote:You have a good point Tiger but MLSE would not want to send the message that tanking is an acceptable choice, since teachers try their hardest to motivate the students to do their best all the time.

And this would be the problem. The ownership cares more about the bottomline than producing winning franchises. Which is why we are stuck in our current treadmill of mediocrity with no escape in sight.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#105 » by basketball royalty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:58 pm

cdel00 wrote:You have a good point Tiger but MLSE would not want to send the message that tanking is an acceptable choice, since teachers try their hardest to motivate the students to do their best all the time.

I know it may make sense from a one step backwards two steps forwards POV however the youth are motivated to just move forward and try their best always.

The thing is we did take one step back to take two steps forward. We were a playoff team two straight years getting bounced in the first round. Then we had unfounded expectations that the team would be better with JO and get slapped back to reality real quick. Ended with 33 wins and a high draft pick and hopefully walking away with DeRozan who once integrated on the team will help us take those 2 steps forward. I can't believe people are crying about not tanking when we could get one of the Holy Trinity, all is well until we actually here '...Raptors select...James Johnson of Wake Forest.'
props to Turbozone for the sig
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User

Post#106 » by Mustard_Tiger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:59 pm

If they had tanked, they would have had their pick of the "Holy Trinity."
basketball royalty
RealGM

Post#107 » by basketball royalty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:00 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:

Not in basketball. Not when you are winning only 33 games with a relatively healthy roster that Colangelo took 3 years to build. Not when your entire roster can't play a semblance of defense (the one true common attribute among winning teams in the NBA).

You can keep on saying they had a healthy roster all you want, no one else is buying. Jose Calderone being out and playing hurt are the main reasons for the disaster that was last season. We had no depth and no direction, we will have that this year and will not look back.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#108 » by Undefeated » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:02 pm

When Colangelo first arrive, his only direction was only up, but clearly it has been the opposite. Although, I trust him that he can fix his mess.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User

Post#109 » by Mustard_Tiger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:04 pm

basketball royalty wrote:
Mustard_Tiger wrote:

You can keep on saying they had a healthy roster all you want, no one else is buying. Jose Calderone being out and playing hurt are the main reasons for the disaster that was last season. We had no depth and no direction, we will have that this year and will not look back.

Your blind faith amazes me. What makes you possibly think that this team will have depth and direction this season? They have a core group of players that, in addition to not being able to play one lick of defense,can't excel in fast paced basketball (which, as it turns out, is our probable offensive strategy).
basketball royalty
RealGM

Post#110 » by basketball royalty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:Your blind faith amazes me. What makes you possibly think that this team will have depth and direction this season? They have a core group of players that, in addition to not being able to play one lick of defense,can't excel in fast paced basketball (which, as it turns out, is our probable offensive strategy).

They excelled in it to end the season pretty well and are adding pieces that fit in that style this summer. Hopefully DeRozan + Delfino + MLE + resigning Marion and I don't see a problem with running and gunning.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User

Post#111 » by Mustard_Tiger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:09 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:Your blind faith amazes me. What makes you possibly think that this team will have depth and direction this season? They have a core group of players that, in addition to not being able to play one lick of defense,can't excel in fast paced basketball (which, as it turns out, is our probable offensive strategy).

They excelled in it to end the season pretty well and are adding pieces that fit in that style this summer. Hopefully DeRozan + Delfino + MLE + resigning Marion and I don't see a problem with running and gunning.

Revisionist history. They beat a few bad teams with their full roster. It was meaningless, they should have been tanking like everyone else they were facing.
basketball royalty
RealGM

Post#112 » by basketball royalty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:

Revisionist history. They beat a few bad teams with their full roster. It was meaningless, they should have been tanking like everyone else they were facing.

Believe what you want. Only one of us will be right after next season and then we will see who will be the revisionist.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#113 » by Gold Chain » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Your blind faith amazes me. What makes you possibly think that this team will have depth and direction this season? They have a core group of players that, in addition to not being able to play one lick of defense,can't excel in fast paced basketball (which, as it turns out, is our probable offensive strategy).

Your blind negativity is equally amazing.

The only time you chime in is when you repeat at nauseum that the team has no direction, soft players and that we are doomed. What makes you think you are entitled any more than the poster you question to tell him and others who like the squad that we are all wrong? Don't give me some elitist post either.

Cut the schtick Jack.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#114 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:13 pm

Sometimes the best medicine for a dying dog is a bullet through the head, not more kibble. Raps should have shot the dog. All they did by winning those games was help prolong the pain.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User

Post#115 » by Mustard_Tiger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:13 pm

basketball royalty wrote:Believe what you want. Only one of us will be right after next season and then we will see who will be the revisionist.

If they are lucky, the Raptors will continue on their treadmill of mediocrity, with a ceiling of 45 wins and a playoff appearance (nobody in their right mind would actually predict something better than that). Unlike you, however, I am not content with this.
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Post#116 » by cdel00 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:14 pm

The thing is we did take one step back to take two steps forward. We were a playoff team two straight years getting bounced in the first round. Then we had unfounded expectations that the team would be better with JO and get slapped back to reality real quick. Ended with 33 wins and a high draft pick and hopefully walking away with DeRozan who once integrated on the team will help us take those 2 steps forward. I can't believe people are crying about not tanking when we could get one of the Holy Trinity, all is well until we actually here '...Raptors select...James Johnson of Wake Forest.'

What happened was not the intention. BC wanted to move forward and assembled what he thought was an excellent roster. There were stats that backed him up and in the end he was wrong.

As for tanking that is considered cheating in many people's books and cheating is always wrong. A sports franchise would not want to portray that image - ever. Tanking goes against the nature of sportsmanship and is a weak way to build a franchise.
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,938

Post#117 » by vulture » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:16 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Muster Tiger is right. Now that I've washed my mouth with soap, I just don't like mediocrity and that's what MLSE is selling. The additions that basketball Royalty mentioned makes us no more that a 35 win team. This team has no foundation and the draft is the best way to build that.
basketball royalty
RealGM

Post#118 » by basketball royalty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:16 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:
basketball royalty wrote:Believe what you want. Only one of us will be right after next season and then we will see who will be the revisionist.

If they are lucky, the Raptors will continue on their treadmill of mediocrity, with a ceiling of 45 wins and a playoff appearance (nobody in their right mind would actually predict something better than that). Unlike you, however, I am not content with this.

If it were up to you I think the team most wins this team would ever get was 33 because they would never be good enough to do any better and when they did you would be upset that they didn't tank. Question, before the Raps were in existence what was your favorite team? I would guess the Clippers.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User

Post#119 » by Mustard_Tiger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:19 pm

double c wrote:Your blind negativity is equally amazing.

Yeah, sorry for not pretending that this roster is actually a good one.

The only time you chime in is when you repeat at nauseum that the team has no direction, soft players and that we are doomed.

Unless significant changes are made, this team is, using your words, doomed. They have a franchise player that, apart from not being able to play defense or show intensity when it counts, is a free agent in only one year. All signs point to him leaving the team. The rest of their core consists of the incredibly talented but also incredibly flawed Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani. And as far as their depth players go? Well everybody knows how poor that area of this team is.

What makes you think you are entitled any more than the poster you question to tell him and others who like the squad that we are all wrong? Don't give me some elitist post either.

This is a message board. I'm just giving my opinion like everyone else. I can't help it if I'm actually right.

Cut the schtick Jack.

Never.
basketball royalty
RealGM

Post#120 » by basketball royalty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:20 pm

vulture wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this, but Muster Tiger is right. Now that I've washed my mouth with soap, I just don't like mediocrity and that's what MLSE is selling. The additions that basketball Royalty mentioned makes us no more that a 35 win team. This team has no foundation and the draft is the best way to build that.

The foundation is a 1st over all pick, a 4th over all pick, a 9th overall pick, a solid PG, and a former allstar. How many lottery picks does one team need before they can start actually, I don't know, try winning games? You are looking for a needle in a haystack and all you want to do is keep jumping in the haystack.

Return to Toronto Raptors