ImageImageImageImageImage

OT--Pacers shopping Ford

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Re: OT--Pacers shopping Ford 

Post#61 » by Death Knight » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Reignman wrote:
jimmyconway wrote:Wow. Amazing that there are still people here touting TJ's "upside", given that only one season was all Indiana needed to put him on the block.

Seriously, for whatever skill the guy has, (and he does have considerable skill) he lacks a significant "something" mentally, and that prevents him for taking it to the next level.

The responsibility is on TJ to become tougher mentally. Stop blaming his backups. What are they supposed to do? Play worse than what they are capable of, so that TJ doesn't lose his role? Is that the typical scenario for most NBA All-star players?

I can't understand why anyone would be so supportive of a guy who clearly can't handle his workload. This is now officially beyond coincidental. He makes over 8 million per year. Buy a Tony Robbins book. Get a few full-time mentors. Get a shrink. Get over it. If only we all faced the same problems poor Ford faces.

Same could be said about Jose. Take a look, we're considering wasting a lottery pick on a point guard so that Jose doesn't fall apart again from playing the normal 35 minutes that most starters play.

TJ and Jose were meant for each other.

You are obviously misinformed. That's not even close to why the Raptors might look to draft a pg. Besides, it's about taking the best player available at #9, and at #9 several pgs happen to be amongst a group of BPA. It's one thing to reach at #9 to draft a pg, like taking Hoffa for positional purposes, but this time it's not the case.

And TJ/Jose are not meant to be together because they can't share. When a couple can't share, then they aren't meant to be together.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#62 » by J Dilla » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:19 pm

Death Knight wrote:
Reignman wrote:
jimmyconway wrote:Wow. Amazing that there are still people here touting TJ's "upside", given that only one season was all Indiana needed to put him on the block.

Seriously, for whatever skill the guy has, (and he does have considerable skill) he lacks a significant "something" mentally, and that prevents him for taking it to the next level.

The responsibility is on TJ to become tougher mentally. Stop blaming his backups. What are they supposed to do? Play worse than what they are capable of, so that TJ doesn't lose his role? Is that the typical scenario for most NBA All-star players?

I can't understand why anyone would be so supportive of a guy who clearly can't handle his workload. This is now officially beyond coincidental. He makes over 8 million per year. Buy a Tony Robbins book. Get a few full-time mentors. Get a shrink. Get over it. If only we all faced the same problems poor Ford faces.

Same could be said about Jose. Take a look, we're considering wasting a lottery pick on a point guard so that Jose doesn't fall apart again from playing the normal 35 minutes that most starters play.

TJ and Jose were meant for each other.

You are obviously misinformed. That's not even close to why the Raptors might look to draft a pg. Besides, it's about taking the best player available at #9, and at #9 several pgs happen to be amongst a group of BPA. It's one thing to reach at #9 to draft a pg, like taking Hoffa for positional purposes, but this time it's not the case.

And TJ/Jose are not meant to be together because they can't share. When a couple can't share, then they aren't meant to be together.

I think what he meant was both of them need each other for competition. They probably give it 100% when they know their's competition behind them.
Trianoball
Starter
And1: 47

Post#63 » by Trianoball » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:22 pm

roundhead0 wrote:Mental toughness is not TJ's problem. It's discipline, and recognizing his limits.

I personally believe that those would fall under the umbrella of what the term "mental toughness" describes. And even if those two attributes aren't part of what makes one mentally tough, I'd still say Ford isn't. I'm not saying he isn't tough; he is. However, mentally, he doesn't seem to have control, IMO.

Regardless, I'm not a hater. I hope he does figure it out. I'm always a fan of somebody that overcomes their challenges. I just can't bring myself to be a fan of him, in his current state.

AND

I absolutely cannot feel even a shred of sympathy for this whole complaint of TJ having the misfortune of playing on teams with good back-ups.
RapZilla
Starter
And1: 1,130

Post#64 » by RapZilla » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:30 pm

J Dilla wrote:

I don't remember Ford "blaming his backups." He continues to support Jose Calderon, and still hangs out with Jarrett Jack. His positive is a double edged sword, which is his ability to step up and take over. Some days he will carry his team to a win, some days he will hurt his team by trying to do too much, and some days he'll be average. Ford is already mentally tough, he just needs to trust the team. This could also be a coincidence or it might be a fact, but TJ Ford could be challenging his teammates to step up their game. Jack was this average backup who got a lot better after playing with his friend. Eric Smith told us Ford and Jose would always be discussing on what to do next game.

He said it he never had "beef" with Jose in abron's radio show. He also said he doesn't mind coming off the bench as long as he gets his minutes. Some of you are still stuck in the TJ-Jose controversy where all the negativity was on one side.

I don't think anyone said that TJ was blaming his backups. It was a certain poster who was attributing the fact that TJ had good backups to his failure to stick with a team.
Credit to Turbo_Zone
sumsimdimgun
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#65 » by sumsimdimgun » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:45 pm

vishaljasser wrote:fords way better then jose, give ford 35 minutes a game and hes all star, give calderon 35 a game and well we saw what happend this year :lol:

yeah you're right. his individual stats would nice but the difference is jose's experience and bbIQ is off the charts compared to TJ. TJ can't run this team the way jose can.

Peace.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#66 » by J Dilla » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:50 pm

sumsimdimgun wrote:
vishaljasser wrote:fords way better then jose, give ford 35 minutes a game and hes all star, give calderon 35 a game and well we saw what happend this year :lol:

yeah you're right. his individual stats would nice but the difference is jose's experience and bbIQ is off the charts compared to TJ. TJ can't run this team the way jose can.

Peace.

Yeah thank god TJ can't run this team the way Jose can.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,273

Post#67 » by Shaazzam » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:51 pm

This is the song that never ends.
It goes on and on my friends.
Someone started singing it not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue singing it forever just because,

Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
cookieman
Sixth Man
And1: 192

Post#68 » by cookieman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:13 pm

TJ was an excellent prospect when he was regarded as a lightning-quick pure point. Unfortunately somewhere along the way he became a shoot-first PG who doesn't shoot that well. gl with that.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#69 » by Reignman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:15 pm

cookieman wrote:TJ was an excellent prospect when he was regarded as a lightning-quick pure point. Unfortunately somewhere along the way he became a shoot-first PG who doesn't shoot that well. gl with that.

Yeah, that's a huge problem, it's like having a pass first point guard that can't pass well (generating quality looks).
PopAGat
Starter
And1: 472

Post#70 » by PopAGat » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:33 pm

His attitude has gotten in the way.
If he just shut up and played as he was directed too, he would be Indiana's point guard right now.
Credits to TurboZone
RapZilla
Starter
And1: 1,130

Post#71 » by RapZilla » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Reignman wrote:
cookieman wrote:TJ was an excellent prospect when he was regarded as a lightning-quick pure point. Unfortunately somewhere along the way he became a shoot-first PG who doesn't shoot that well. gl with that.

Yeah, that's a huge problem, it's like having a pass first point guard that can't pass well (generating quality looks).

Who are you referring to? This is a thread about TJ Ford and how he is being shopped by Indy. Poor little guy.
Credit to Turbo_Zone
sumsimdimgun
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#72 » by sumsimdimgun » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:44 pm

plus devin harris. or brooks get that title now. therefore, TJ is just another ordinary point guard now
Ill Mago
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#73 » by Ill Mago » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:44 pm

research has proven that Ford vehicles have the highest resale value in the industry.

Return to Toronto Raptors