ImageImageImageImageImage

Chisholm's take on DeRozan pick

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bballCT
Rookie
And1: 40

Chisholm's take on DeRozan pick 

Post#1 » by bballCT » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:33 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/Tim_Chisholm/?id=282959

Ever since mid-season, when Colangelo shipped off his marquee summer get in Jermaine O'Neal for Shawn Marion, his moves have followed a simple and recognizable logic: athleticism, hustle and versatility now rule the day. Patrick O'Bryant, Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Quincy Douby, Reggie Evans and now DeMar DeRozan all adhere to that trend. Gone are the days of overly relying on heady European imports after that strategy left the team soft, defensively weak and toughness adverse. The club's heavy dependence on those players seemed to willfully ignore the direction of a league dominated by perimeter players with the athleticism and speed to create their own offence, to pressure opposing defences with their individual talents. DeRozan, in clear acknowledgement of NBA reality, truly punctuates the focus of the future and the shift away from FIBA-ball.
Follow Twitter for basketball cards news: @bballct
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,641

Re: Chisholm's take on DeRozan pick 

Post#2 » by C_Money » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:35 pm

He's 100% right on everything he said. Athleticism is the way to go if you want to compete in the NBA.
swirsk
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#3 » by swirsk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:36 pm

C_Money wrote:He's 100% right. Athleticism is the way to go if you want to compete in the NBA.

I agree, but the whole skilled player thing has it's advantages too. You need a balance, and we didn't have that.
formerly known as Swirsky4PM
boshjonesford
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#4 » by boshjonesford » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:37 pm

C_Money wrote:He's 100% right on everything he said. Athleticism is the way to go if you want to compete in the NBA.

i think you need a litlle bit of both

Athletic team - Atlanta Hawks, 76ers

Fiba Type teams - Raptors , Kings, pacers

Good Balance - Lakers
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#5 » by Brinbe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:39 pm

Right now the Raptors have actually drafted a player that doesn't demand hours of head scratching to figure out. Finally the team didn't draft a player when a clearly superior talent (with better fit in the roster) was still available on the board. Everything that comes hereafter will come as a result of work, both by player and by coach, to maximize the potential on hand. Today, though, there is just the promise of a player who could be a very special addition to the Toronto Raptors basketball club.

That sums it up well and thank Christ for our shift in attitude.
jrsmith
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#6 » by jrsmith » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Im surprised no one has come in here freaking out and calling him racist, like many of the posters here whom disagreed with his philosophy were treated.
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#7 » by barrist » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:43 pm

jrsmith wrote:Im surprised no one has come in here freaking out and calling him racist, like many of the posters here whom disagreed with his philosophy were treated.

did it hurt your feelings?
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#8 » by Komodo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:43 pm

I always love Chisholm's articles.

I absolutely love the DeRozan pick. I agree with Chisholm that DD is not as raw as many would lead you to believe, which goes along with his stance that DD is not the risky pick as advertised because he can already do things well, it just whether he develops the other parts of his game.

I think DeRozan is going to be fine. I really like the pick because I think he has a good chance of nearing his potential in our environment. Triano has shown the ability to develop players (Bargs, Graham) and help them succeed. We also have English here to teach DD a thing or two, as Chisholm mentioned. Finally, this team needs what DD has to offer NOW. I love how DD is already adept at getting to the line and has a nice mid-range shot. That alone will earn him 20+ mins, and combined with his athleticism, potential on the defensive end, team need, and amount invested/riding on DD filling out, I have every confidence he's going to succeed. Plus, I love the guy's attitude.

I am so stoked. I think we made an excellent pick. But, we must be patient.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#9 » by J-Roc » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying POB, Pops and Douby were attempts at getting more athletic. Those were just "guys". But Evans and now DDR are clearly attempts at a proper direction.

Unless of course BC makes a move on Hedo.
jrsmith
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#10 » by jrsmith » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:44 pm

barrist wrote:
jrsmith wrote:Im surprised no one has come in here freaking out and calling him racist, like many of the posters here whom disagreed with his philosophy were treated.

did it hurt your feelings?

seeing as Im euro myself, it was actually humorous
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#11 » by YogiStewart » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:44 pm

wow...just wow....
5 posts before yours.
1 was the original post.
and you are wondering why none of the 4 posters have screamed racist?

want some dip with that chip on your shoulder?
augustine
Senior
And1: 29

Post#12 » by augustine » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Balance is very important. We should not shift away from finesse to such a point where we no longer have skill and shooting, or else we will then have to go find shooting again. Remember, we went for toughness (JO) and lost our ability to drive (TJ/Delfino). Then we lost our toughness (Sam, JO), and started complaining about having no toughness. We better not be in such a hurry to get tough that we now lose our good shooting. I am already worried that this will happen - ie, we lost Kapono, and presumably Parker, and we will now likely start the year with only 2 three point shooters in the starting lineup (JC, AB). Balance is important. Get tough and athletic, but stay skilled.
boshjonesford
Banned User

Post#13 » by boshjonesford » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:44 pm

man i really want POPs back next year, i dont care so much about Kris
bballCT
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#14 » by bballCT » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:45 pm

Another interesting quote:

DeRozan also marks the first Raptor that would seem to directly benefit from having Alex English, one of the best scoring wings in the history of basketball, as one of his assistant coaches.
Follow Twitter for basketball cards news: @bballct
boshjonesford
Banned User

Post#15 » by boshjonesford » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:46 pm

the thing is

would you rather......

1)you bring in atheltic players and try to develop their skills

you dont bring in

2)Skilled players and try to develop their athleticism

= i think we are doing option one with Derozan
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,641

Post#16 » by C_Money » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 pm

boshjonesford wrote:man i really want POPs back next year, i dont care so much about Kris

Same with me. If Humphries doesn't get traded though I can't see him staying on the team with Evans here now.
boshjonesford
Banned User

Post#17 » by boshjonesford » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 pm

CB4rules wrote:Another interesting quote:

DeRozan also marks the first Raptor that would seem to directly benefit from having Alex English, one of the best scoring wings in the history of basketball, as one of his assistant coaches.

he should really work with him + Alvin williams
18 Parkerville
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#18 » by 18 Parkerville » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Now if BC would only pack the two main contributors (Bosh + Hose) of our soft, weak, non-athletic culture, we'd be set.
Jose "Hammy" Calderon - where Gatorade at the half clouding rational judgment happens, and where "hamstring" injuries linger all season long.
RINSE
Head Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#19 » by RINSE » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:56 pm

boshjonesford wrote:the thing is

would you rather......

1)you bring in atheltic players and try to develop their skills

you dont bring in

2)Skilled players and try to develop their athleticism

= i think we are doing option one with Derozan

Well 2 is pretty much impossible, you can't really "develop" athleticism. You either have it or you don't.
boshjonesford
Banned User

Post#20 » by boshjonesford » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:56 pm

WHO would you say the softest player on our team team right now? (JK would have won before hands down)

Return to Toronto Raptors