ImageImageImageImageImage

Toronto, The Raptors and Hip Hop

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

raptorballa
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Toronto, The Raptors and Hip Hop 

Post#101 » by raptorballa » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:02 am

lmao, bro r u (Please Use More Appropriate Word)?

LOL ur seriously fked up, u prolly smokin to much kush eyy???
read my posts, quote were i said old rappers suck, and trust me ive been through enuf music for TIME... u gotta fkin read
im saying wat ppl listen to TODAY, when did i say old school music was garbage? wow get serious in life man.
raptorballa
Sophomore

Post#102 » by raptorballa » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:03 am

Brinbe wrote:Good idea, b-ball related... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWUOfz4G49A :)

will young kids remmeber this? or more likly listen to wezzy?
Superboy316KING
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#103 » by Superboy316KING » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:06 am

Brinbe wrote:Good idea, b-ball related... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWUOfz4G49A :)

Jump Off is all good, i got respect for him.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,642

Post#104 » by C_Money » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:10 am

I like Lil Wayne. I'm gonna see him, Young Jeezy and Drake in concert soon but he ain't telling you anything in any of his songs. He goes with whatever rhymes with the last word. Thats why people have problems with him.
Hit Em Up
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,778

Post#105 » by Hit Em Up » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:13 am

A rapper needs to use "Chris Bosh" in a rap line...there is soo much to rhyme with it:

Criss Cross
Miss Boss
Lift Off
Rick Ross
Dick Soft

and the list goes on...
Bringbackoakley
Rookie
And1: 8

Post#106 » by Bringbackoakley » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:32 am

raptorballa wrote:wow, stupid torontonians are never thankful with what they have. thats why so many ppl flipin hate CANADA

You guys expect TOOOO much and arent even worth ****. straight up.
We have some SICKKK as hip hop singers/rappers Kardinal Offical being one(Bosh loves him, jams wid him)

Next who ever says Drake sucks, they can come up to me right now and suck on my left nut... you guys shud just stick wid some like country **** or fkin jazz and classical **** yall listen to.
HIP-HOP is WERE ITS AT RIGHT NOW so get some tunes, use ur fking limewire or ares download some DRAKE MUSIC or buy his albums then talk ur ****..

Real fans buy music.
Neal04
Junior
And1: 5

Post#107 » by Neal04 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:42 am

raptorballa wrote:Okay hot shot, if wezzys terrible tell me whyalmost everyone from ages 12-22 is on hisballs craving his music...

and i never said ur underground rappers are ****... im just saying what lil wayne is doing right now is BIG, and they wont remember those ppl that started hip hop and rap sop stfu and continue reading
cuz u got a lonnggg way to go..

Nowadays lyrics don't matter to anyone. Its just about making a song that sounds good lacking substance.

There is a group of rappers who could be considered the greatest of all time and people might disagree over it but its arguable to say that they are the best. Personally it isn't even arguable to have Lil Wayne in the top 10.
Bringbackoakley
Rookie
And1: 8

Post#108 » by Bringbackoakley » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:49 am

When I was younger I used to love Big L, Nas, Tupac, Mobb Deep, Kool G and Wu. I never really like JayZ that much and used to get into huge battles about who was better, Biggie or Tupac.

Weezy is ok and he has some good tracks but I feel as if it a younger audience that likes him. My problem with him is that he over-saturates the market with his product. It seems like every other week he has a new mixtape coming out. You are right though, he sold over a million records his first week, there is no denying that he is huge.
To each his own though, anyone can like whoever they want and it is pretty useless trying to convince somebody else who is 'the best', everyone has different tastes.
I think the best modern day lyricist has to be Eminem though, his first few CDs were amazing, and by that time I had stopped listening to hip-hop.
Muhammad_Ali
Starter
And1: 607

Post#109 » by Muhammad_Ali » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:03 am

Slam Harder - Onyx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1pwrscRu4

My favourite rappers growing up were Pac, Eazy, Nas, Rakim and Krs One. <---- REAL HIP HOP

lol @ the kids who consider Lil Wayne, Soulja boy, jim jones, etc hip hop!
Jim Todd Jr.
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,483

Post#110 » by Jim Todd Jr. » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:11 am

israeli_jordan wrote:
Ron Artest????????!!!!! lol unless he thinks drake is 'soft'

I can assure you Ron Artest DOES think Drake is soft.
Chips with the dip baybeeee.
peli
Banned User

Post#111 » by peli » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:13 am

komodo19 wrote:I you want to get the blood flowing, War Zone by Slayer is a good one.

I'm glad you like the song, and thanks for sharing. But, this is about NBA players and their exposure to Toronto on a pop cultural level. Pay attention.

Look here. I don't post much, but when I read a topic as ridiculous as this one, I have too.

Let me break down what the OP was trying to imply, since most of you missed the point.
Pop culture influences different groups of people in different ways.
NBA players are predominantly African-American. African-American's are generally more inclined toward the hip-hop culture then those NBA players from say, Europe.
There has never been a mainstream hip-hop artist out of Toronto as big as Drake is about to become. He IS a bonafide three way star: rapping, singing, and acting. If you don't believe how big he is, take a look at the view count on his song I linked. 11,000,000 people have viewed that video of Drake.
Yes, Drake from Toronto.
With that said, when hip-hop fans, including the majority of NBA players look for whats new and hot in hip hop, it is very likely they will end up listening to a Drake song. As Drake gains fame, so does Toronto.
Toronto's exposure as a hip hop friendly city is good for the Raptors. It is suspected players who didn't want to sign with Raptors in the past didn't want to sign because of their perception that our city lacked that familiar culture. Now with Drake putting Toronto at the forefront of hip-hop and its culture, that may not be the case anymore. Whats more is that as Drake explodes, so does the potential for other artists to from Toronto to do the same. Potentially, Drake could pioneer a trend that eventually puts Toronto on the same level as Chicago, Miami, or Atlanta as far as recognition and exposure in pop culture goes.
To sum this up, I present an analogy.
Consider your thought process when deciding to go to a club that you have never been too. You accept reviews of others, and consider its reputation. You like hip-hop, but the club is known to play country. You are not a fan of country music. Sure, the club may be known for beautiful women, or world class decor, but you want to dance to music that you like.
An NBA player might go through a similar thought process when signing with a team. The money might be right, and the city's reputation for women and size might be very good, but if they have never really lived in the city and are taking opinions from their peers and friends who also have never lived or spent time in the city, they may opt not to come based on their assumption of the culture in the city.
So, in summary, Drake is good for Toronto. Drake is a rising hip-hop star. NBA players like hip-hop. They embrace the culture. Toronto is not known for strong hip-hop culture. With Drake's success will come Toronto's ability to attract players.

Put this into perspective of how big Drake is for Toronto: Vince Carter was the last individual who could touch Drake's potential to put Toronto on the "map." The thing is, Drake's star power is going to dwarf Vince's... if it hasn't already.
ss-wiish!
Senior

Post#112 » by ss-wiish! » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:17 am

haha

BTW, if y'all want "lyrical" Canadian Hip hop :lol:

Saukrates - Comin' Up
Ghetto Concept - EZ on the motion
Rascalz - Soul Obligation

etc..
logicz
Senior
And1: 68

Post#113 » by logicz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:18 am

ss-wiish! wrote:Image

lulz
Don't Wake Me Up.
israeli_jordan
Banned User

Post#114 » by israeli_jordan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:46 am

haha

Saukrates - Comin' Up

etc..

Oh damn those are definitely CLASSIC canadian hiphop tracks... i'd add one to that:

Citizen Kane - Black Rain !!!
israeli_jordan
Banned User

Post#115 » by israeli_jordan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:53 am

peli wrote:Put this into perspective of how big Drake is for Toronto: Vince Carter was the last individual who could touch Drake's potential to put Toronto on the "map." The thing is, Drake's star power is going to dwarf Vince's... if it hasn't already.

I agree 100000% ...

Hopefully Demar Derozan is a fan :P
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,192

Post#116 » by Hoopstarr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:02 am

israeli_jordan wrote:
haha

Saukrates - Comin' Up

etc..

Oh damn those are definitely CLASSIC canadian hiphop tracks... i'd add one to that:

Citizen Kane - Black Rain !!!

Infinite is the best Canadian rapper
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,342

Post#117 » by TOStateofMind » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:41 am

Wayne was fine with me until he went autotune.

Also drake is good, but he needs to get away from that weezy sound and he'll be fine.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#118 » by Brinbe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:52 am

Rayce wrote:Wayne was fine with me until he went autotune.

Also drake is good, but he needs to get away from that weezy sound and he'll be fine.

Welp... http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/161495 ... ayne.jhtml :lol:
KING01
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#119 » by KING01 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:25 am

Hip Hop these days is lame.

When people think that Lil Wine is the best rapper you know something is wrong.

The music I listen to goes something like this:

Rap: Afu Ra, Immortal Technique, Common, Gangstarr, Talib Kweli, Slum Village, Point Blank, Lupe, Little Kanye(Not too much), Dead Prez, Bone Thugs, Da Backwudz, Dilated Peoples, K-Salaam, Kardi Offishal, Saigon

Reggae: Sizzla, Capleton, Gentleman, Colli Buddz, Danny I, Turbulence, Junior Kelly, I Wayne, Mavado, Buju Banton, Cocoa Tea, Daddy Rings, Fantan Mojah, Gyptian, Jah Cure, Damian Marley, Ziggy Marley, Luciano, Lutan Fyah, Morgan Heritage, Natural Black, Ras Shiloh, Tanya Stephens, Warrior King, Wayne Wonder.

Gospel: MaryMary, Kirk Franklin, Kierra Sheard, Deitrick Haddon, Cynthia Jones, Yolanda Adams, Kurt Carr,

I loves the music.

Peace
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#120 » by bakafool » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:08 am

Hip hop is like sooo yesterday.
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.

Return to Toronto Raptors