ImageImageImageImageImage

Coach Moreau's assessment on Bargnani

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,273

Re: Coach Moreau's assessment on Bargnani 

Post#41 » by Shaazzam » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:02 pm

So it's more important for him to be able to roll four feet to the three point arc than actually help free up the dribbler. Gotcha.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Rationality
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#42 » by Rationality » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:11 pm

I think Coach Moreau makes a pretty astute observation on Bargnani's ability to set screens, but I think there's more to it than he cares to explain.

A large number of Bargnani's 3-pt opportunities came off a simple screen and roll. A poster earlier in the thread alluded to this by saying that often there is a *point* to setting a "weak screen." This has been the case with Barg's screens, especially during his rookie season when almost every game, his coverage refused to roll out to the three-point to cover Bargs on the screen and roll, and instead showed hard on the ball handler. Ironically, that's what you're supposed to do most of the time.

It worked well before, and was effective enough that it almost seemed like it became the "default play." But the play hasn't worked as well lately... Barg's coverage is sticking to him, and the weak screen isn't enough for Jose to do any damage penetrating into the lane.

Really, I'm one of those people who feels a pick and roll should be executed with the intent of planting the screenee's butt firmly on the ground - every single time - no matter what. With an intriguing 7 footer with legitimate 3 point range, I see the temptation to set fake screens in order to run a specific play for Bargs, but it already feels like every team in the league knows we're going to do this the majority of the time...
SonicMcMahon
Pro Prospect
And1: 438

Post#43 » by SonicMcMahon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Agree with above.

Bargs can still do those slip screens on occasion to get his own shot. But he has to mix it up. If players are expected to run into hard, painful screens, the "slip" screen will be more effective when it comes anyway.

Ultimately, as a center you've got to make players regret running into your body, and you have to create space for your ball handlers. Bargs is a unique talent, but setting hard screens is fundamental, and is missing from his game right now.
JJWong17
Analyst
And1: 476

Post#44 » by JJWong17 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Shaazzam wrote:So it's more important for him to be able to roll four feet to the three point arc than actually help free up the dribbler. Gotcha.

I've typed up 3 or 4 replies and deleted them all trying to say this. It would help the team overall for Bargnani to be able to set some solid screens, in addition to the kind he sets now. If the dribbler gets freed up and has a momentary one-on-one with the opposing centre, then good things can happen for everyone on the floor. Maybe the dribbler drives and scores or drives and kicks.
Dustin Poirier, 2021: How'd you like the clavicle?
DA_SCOUT
Bench Warmer
And1: 276

Post#45 » by DA_SCOUT » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:10 pm

cbosh4mvp wrote:
ZeriousLy wrote:
hellooo3 wrote:Wwho is coach moreau???????? bargnani is good player who likes to shoot. this is just the nonesense talk of the bad screen. bargnani is mach mach better player then cris bosh. you need look at the talent. this is just nonesense

I just got dummer by reading this.

;)

LMAO hahahaha you're hilarious dude :lol:

RAPS IN 4.
bane_dd
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#46 » by bane_dd » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:41 pm

The complaint about the soft screens from Bargnani is dead on. He is so eager to come off the screen and receive the ball that he starts moving before he should. Bosh is also guilty of this to a degree as he starts rolling too early but he is not as bad as Bargnani. They both need to watch tapes of Howard or KG setting hard screens and learn from it.
knickerbocker2k2
General Manager
And1: 4,455

Post#47 » by knickerbocker2k2 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:53 pm

I think this good assessment. Now I think of it more, I'm always see Bargs slipping out to the 3 point line. It negates the whole purpose of the screen. He still gets his open looks because most C don't like to venture out to the 3point line. A solid screen either allows Jose/PG open lane to the basket/open shot because the defender will either hedge and allow Bargs open shot or stay closer to Bargs, allowing Jose/PG the opportunity to make the play.

Part of the problem I think is Bargs is to anxious because he needs to set his feet. He doesn't have the greatest foot work. He looks clumsy where as Bosh can easily set his feet off those picks. I think with good practice and coaching he can work on his foot work to improve on this part of his game.
BigShotBob13
Starter
And1: 297

Post#48 » by BigShotBob13 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:03 pm

SkinnyP wrote:
hellooo3 wrote:Wwho is coach moreau???????? bargnani is good player who likes to shoot. this is just the nonesense talk of the bad screen. bargnani is mach mach better player then cris bosh. you need look at the talent. this is just nonesense

Stay in school kiddies, or else this is where you end up.

+1. The education level on this board has dropped considerably. No one puts together complete sentences or if they do, then it's a combination of text speak and absolutely murdered spelling of words.
Formerly...Damn, I forgot who I was...
Sifu
Veteran
And1: 1,005

Post#49 » by Sifu » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:58 pm

ZeriousLy wrote:

I just got dumber by reading this.

Really? I just pissed my pants reading this :lol: :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors