ImageImageImageImageImage

The Raps 2009-10 cage match - Which expiring(s) to re-sign

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Air Canada
RealGM
And1: 7,556

Re: The Raps 2009-10 cage match - Which expiring(s) to re-sign 

Post#21 » by Air Canada » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:21 pm

Id like to see Belinelli and Johnson re-sign and if we have enough Wright as well
mikero
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#22 » by mikero » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:30 pm

No question about Belinelli. He has a cheap 4th year option, so unless he gets seriously injured i can't see us not resigning him.

Also, I would like to see Rasho back. He is a quality backup center, veteran presence, and because he loves the city, would be willing to sign for cheap.

Amir Johnson... is difficult to say. It all depends on this season.

I think that might be it though. By next year, I would like to see DeRozen be the starting SG. And unless we can sign Wright for cheap, I can't see him back. Douby, POB, and Weems are at the end of the bench, so it won't matter either way.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#23 » by Nolan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:39 pm

YogiStewart wrote:1. Belinelli
2. Amir J

if there's room for #3, it would be Wright. and Wright might surpass Amir, depending on his play, his roll and how DD develops

^
This
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Post#24 » by MEDIC » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:02 pm

Right now:

Belli
Wright

We'll see how Amir does this season.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
gloriousthree
Junior
And1: 0

Post#25 » by gloriousthree » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Since BC spoke about him as a potential 6th man of the year I imagine he's the first guy off the bench right now(no slight on Jack, if BC wills it Triano will likely comply). We'll know quickly what he is worth.

Personally, after seeing his performances for Italy, I am hoping Belli can become like Rudy Fernandez. Probably just a pipe dream I guess.
Greasenani FTW!!
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#26 » by timdunkit » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:21 pm

dagger wrote:
timdunkit wrote:I would look to keep AJ (see if we could get him cheaper) and pick up Rasho's option.

Then between Wright/Bellinelli who ever has the better season and is the better fit I would keep but I would also look at the cost of each as well ...

I think the thing that might work against Wright/Belinell is DD's development. You'd hope that by DD's second year, he's the clear starter. So then it's a question of whether Belinell's offence or Wright's defence is more valuable (and of course, which of the two would be more expensive). If you keep Belinelli, he's basically a one position guy, whereas Wright can probably give you D at two positions. But Belinelli is the one I see as more likely to blow up into a much better player. He and Johnson have bigger upside than Wright.

Definately agree and I think Bellinelli is the odd man out ... People sleep on Jack's ability to play the 2 guard but he can definately play there. We know there really high on DD and if he can be the starter for 25-30 min a game by next year then I think they would go wtih Wright (since he has the ability to play the 3 as well).
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#27 » by Komodo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:39 pm

I have a hard time seeing Wright be re-signed. We're already commited to DD, and it appears MB as well, two SGs. Wright would have to have a tremendous defensive year, on a Raja Bell-of past level, to warrant a re-sign.

And yes, I agree with Belinelli and Johnson being the obvious candidates. I haven't actually seen Amir play at all really, kind of looking foward to see how he fits in our frontcourt, and what type of progress he makes over the year.
D-Wins-RingsIMO
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: TORONTO ... where worst DRtg in the league happens!

Post#28 » by D-Wins-RingsIMO » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:47 pm

It comes down to who out of Belli, Wright, Amir is performing the best, and who is having a career season.

So far Belli has proven a big bag of **** ALL in his career, so to say right now he's the only guy worth extending is freaking preposterous.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,464

Post#29 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Marco and Wright, and maybe Rasho depending on how he's aged. Actually, Rasho doesn't age, so I guess we'll only re-sign him if he gives us permission to.
rapsrealm
Assistant Coach
And1: 424

Post#30 » by rapsrealm » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:03 pm

I think its a bit premature to even discuss this just because there are so many external factors that we would have to take into account. In BC's recent interview it seems that initially the board would want him to make sure that they are below the tax threshold but depending on the team's success BC could and will put the team above the tax threshold if they are able to acquire a key piece. That being said in terms of keeping the team intact I think it depends on where players land on the pecking order at the end of the season.

Marco seems like he'll play a key role coming off the bench so he seems like a logical choice to keep, Wright's future really depends on what he brings from a defensive standpoint and also if DeMar's growth makes Wright redundant. For Johnson it will depend on how much the Raptors are able to play him, we have a pretty deep front court so the Raptors may let him walk if they think he may have a better opportunity somewhere else. Rasho could go either way as it will not only depend on what he brings on the court but also the locker room.

Patrick O'Bryant and Seems are most likely going to be gone at the end of the season as there is no real need for them.
bassmastert
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#31 » by bassmastert » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:21 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought min salary players didn't affect the cap situation. If this is the case, we should attempt to bring back Rasho/Weems (if they produce) for the min salary.

We would need a backup to DD, so Belinelli would be the obvious #1 to re-sign in this case.

#2 is a toss up. We would have Evans next year as well so Amir may be out of the loop. I'd look to retain some good defence so Wright would be my second choice.
vinsanity11 wrote:
He was having flashbacks of game 6 last year, he didn't want to be the one who chocked again..
Raptors90102 wrote:
Spell check is your friend..
vinsanity11 wrote:
I spelled it right dumbass...

LOL RealGM at it's finest...
Canucklehead
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#32 » by Canucklehead » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:30 pm

YogiStewart wrote:1. Belinelli
2. Amir J

if there's room for #3, it would be Wright. and Wright might surpass Amir, depending on his play, his roll and how DD develops

This

Return to Toronto Raptors