ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Heat might not sign a max player next year

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Re: OT: Heat might not sign a max player next year 

Post#41 » by hype_2004 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:15 am

djsunyc wrote:one thing i will say - miami is a prime time free agent destination.

nice weather...nice women...and great low taxes.

Bingo, peeps just don't get it. Miami is the dark horse for FA destination and porbably the no.1 prime destination for all available UFA, Lebron included. I mean comparing New York or Cleveland to Miami? these players and their agents know the deal like you said, Mimai has a lot of things going on for it as a city, great weather year round, beautiful beaches, the women(damn and if anyone here's been to Miami like me should know) the nightlife(the best clubs and scene in NA this side of Vegas) and of course the low taxes.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#42 » by sanity » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:33 am

Its an interesting argument though to consider - would you rather lock up a max player, or grab 3-4 solid role players capable of contributing in a winning situation. I'm not sure which I would chose. Given Wade being on the team, likely the 2nd, based on how easier it would be to tinker around with the roster rather than being stuck with two max players who might not complement each other very well.

Adding on to what was already discussed, Riley isn't one to spend money for the sake of spending it. The trade with Pheonix was a failure, which was made up by Jermaine's expiring and ridding themselves of Banks in the process (which was the deal breaker if he wasn't included). I think Pat's just being more cautious and buying his time. Nothing wrong with that, especially if the pieces available aren't proper fits to surround Wade with.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#43 » by Gold Chain » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:24 pm

djsunyc wrote:one thing i will say - miami is a prime time free agent destination.

nice weather...nice women...and great low taxes.

Shh...... :)
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#44 » by Reignman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:34 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
Spragga wrote:http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2009/09/08/a1c_george_0909.html

For instance, he might not spend all of his loot next summer on any one particular star, such as Toronto's Chris Bosh.

"If you go back to the last time that we had significant (cap) room," said Riley, "we were able to sign Alonzo Mourning, Juwan Howard, P.J. Brown, Dan Majerle and Tim Hardaway, all in one year. Why do I want to take a big chunk of money and give it to one guy? Why wouldn't I want to spread it around to get two or three starters that fit better?"

Back we go, then, to the waiting game, which is so much tougher for a star to master than the game of basketball.

If lebron calls all bets are off, Riles would be running around like a headless chicken trying to sell Lebron te beauty of South Beach, fast cars, fast women, the nightlife, the overall scene, the low taxes I mean who can beat that?

Agreed, and not just LBJ, he'd do it for Bosh / Dirk / Amare / etc. Riley is just hedging his bets because he's smart enough to realize most of these guys will just sign with their own teams. There's no point in hyping up your fanbase/media with the idea that a 2nd max player will be joining Wade when there's a solid chance it won't happen.

Now if one of these guys does decide to join the Heat, it'll be a pleasant surprise for many.

Sounds like he's being realistic on how the summer of 2010 will go.

Return to Toronto Raptors