ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter, Chris Bosh Potential Hall of Famers?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

kirbs
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Vince Carter, Chris Bosh Potential Hall of Famers? 

Post#41 » by kirbs » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:Vince is certainly almost there. His career numbers are pretty damn impressive, I'm actually very surprised. The guy averaged less then 20 points per game in only 2 of his 12 seasons in the NBA, one of them was his rookie year.

Career 23.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 4.3 apg, .447 fg, .376 3P%

1 of his 11 seasons, not 2 of his 12 seasons. He's averaged over 20 PPG every season but his rookie season. And why are you surprised? It's common knowledge that he has averaged over 20 PPG in 10 straight seasons.
orangutooth
Sixth Man
And1: 101

Post#42 » by orangutooth » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:32 pm

well say vince goes til the end of his career in orlando, i could see him being a hof if orlando picks up a couple chips with carter as a key scorer.

like say carter picks up two finals mvps, i think that'd be hof worthy
Sam wasn't the solution, but he wasn't the problem either
- Harry Palmer
kungriffey
Sophomore

Post#43 » by kungriffey » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:33 pm

the title says "potential"...I'd say yes for both...bosh is just entering his prime...and has a ways to go...VC has accomplished alot..couple for seasons of him putting up decent numbers and he will probably be in there too
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,761

Post#44 » by Basketball_Jones » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:40 pm

kirbs wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Vince is certainly almost there. His career numbers are pretty damn impressive, I'm actually very surprised. The guy averaged less then 20 points per game in only 2 of his 12 seasons in the NBA, one of them was his rookie year.

Career 23.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 4.3 apg, .447 fg, .376 3P%

1 of his 11 seasons, not 2 of his 12 seasons. He's averaged over 20 PPG every season but his rookie season. And why are you surprised? It's common knowledge that he has averaged over 20 PPG in 10 straight seasons.

Oh yeah, that was only his time in Toronto he was under 20. Once he got traded his average went up to 27. I'm surprised mainly because of all the hate he gets and I haven't followed his career much since he left. Playing in NJ has certainly taken him out of the spotlight imo.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Buyaka
Assistant Coach
And1: 420

Post#45 » by Buyaka » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:48 pm

They both should have stats to make the cut when it is time. However, to me they both do not deserve it with their CURRENT record. Please allow me to elaborate:

Look at the class of 2009. Robinson revolutionized how a big man is perceived. He was athletic and versatile. Raised the game of others, carried the Spurs mantle from Iceman, amazing ambassador for the game and most importantly made visionary sacrifices (i.e. becoming a defender while passing the scoring responsibility to a prized rookie) in name of winning a coveted ring.

Jordan is Jordan and Stockton is Stockton nothing more to say about their stats and accomplishments. However, what really stands for me is their determination, tenacity and competitive spirits. What ever it took to win is what makes them the creme of the crop in my book.

Both Carter (who is incredibly talented) and Bosh (who is less talented but more of a harder worker) will produce numbers, but require developing a killer instinct in MY book to be considered HOF worthy material. I hope they both develop and display this aspect soon.
jay632
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#46 » by jay632 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:51 pm

i feel that you should at least get the the final round of the playoffs to be even mentioned... for chris, it might never happen.
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#47 » by TheDunc » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:02 pm

Its pretty simple. If vince wins a championship then hes a lock for the Hall of fame. If he doesnt then he still might have a shot but will never be known for as a winner. If Bosh continues his 20 and 10 for the next 10 years with at least one championship on his resume then yes. A hard feat to do but it is possible. Maybe this year who knows...(wishfull thinking)
ShaqSlamsU
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#48 » by ShaqSlamsU » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Wince Harder will get in, he gets to 20K points he will be in for sure.
Bosh right now doesn't have enough stats to get in.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#49 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Vince won't make it unless he wins a title or two and he's the reason they won. If he just rides along while someone else does the work I don't think he deserves it.

Vince is great, but I don't think he is HOF great.
Torontos_raptor
Junior
And1: 104

Post#50 » by Torontos_raptor » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Carter could finish off the rest of his career in the most normal fashion and still make the HOF. Bosh, if he continues to play this consistently for the next...i dunno...decade, then yes he'll be in as well.
raptors09
Junior

Post#51 » by raptors09 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:28 pm

Possibly. What I want to know is will Vince ever get his jersey retired?
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#52 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:29 pm

raptors09 wrote:Possibly. What I want to know is will Vince ever get his jersey retired?

Not in Toronto.
the_second_coming
Sophomore

Post#53 » by the_second_coming » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:33 pm

I think that despite neither achieving much team success in Toronto, both will ultimately end up in the hall
purplehaze89
Banned User

Post#54 » by purplehaze89 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Don't fool yourselves. There is no prerequisite to winning in order to make it into the Hall of Fame. See Elgin Baylor, Bernard King, Alex English, Adrian Dantley, Karl Malone, Dominique Wilkins etc etc etc ad nauseum. Nor is there a required Finals appearance either for that matter.

Really the only measurable statistic are points. This is indisputable. Check Basketball Reference. Vince plays another 4-5 years. Gets to 20-25 K and he is a lock. And for the whole T-Mac and Stephon Marbury examples. Marbury has 17 K. Not even close to 20K. T-Mac may not even get to 20 K either with the way he was crippled.

11 year career averages of 23.5/5/4?

Come on now.
Abba Zabba
Rookie
And1: 100

Post#55 » by Abba Zabba » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:09 pm

DarkKnight wrote:Take off the carter-hate glasses everyone. He's a pretty sure-fire HOFer if he finishes out his career in normal fashion. You don't need to take my word for it - check basketball-reference.com.

Thanks, cool site!

They also have this: "Keltner List, that tried-and-true staple of sabermetric-type analysis ever since Bill James introduced it way back in the 1985 Baseball Abstract. The format is simple: it's an inventory of yes-or-no questions designed to assess whether or not a player deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. It's not numerical, nor is it strictly objective, but after going through the list you typically get a pretty good feel for the player's HoF-worthiness."

Let's try it out, I'll start though it will have to involve some projections:
1. Was he ever regarded as the best player in basketball? Did anybody, while he was active, ever suggest that he was the best player in basketball?
Don't see this happening to Bosh ever. For a while there, there was the suggestion that Carter may become the greatest player in basketball if not be it already.

2. Was he the best player on his team?
Yes for Bosh and Carter

3. Was he the best player in basketball at his position?
You could argue Carter was. Bosh may attain this level for a year or two as Garnet and Duncan get older.

4. Did he have an impact on a number of NBA Finals or Conference Finals?
So far: No for both

5. Was he good enough that he could play regularly after passing his prime?
Given good health I think they both will be able to. Carter due to his incredible natural talents, even at 75% he's still way above the average and Bosh due to his diligence.

6. Is he the very best (eligible) basketball player in history who is not in the Hall of Fame?
NA

7. Are most players who have comparable statistics in the Hall of Fame?
If they both reach their predicted benchmarks (20,000 points etc) as has been mentioned in this thread they both will have HOF statistics.

8. Do the player's numbers meet Hall of Fame standards?
Kind of the same question as the last one.

9. Is there any evidence to suggest that the player was significantly better or worse than is suggested by his statistics?
Here is where we could debate all year long. I'm going to leave it alone, as the book isn't finished on either Bosh or Carter.

10. Is he the best player at his position who is eligible for the Hall of Fame?
NA, not eligible yet.

11. How many MVP-type seasons did he have? Did he ever win an MVP award? If not, how many times was he close?
Hard to say, but I doubt Bosh is ever a top 3 MVP candidate, though I'd love him to porve me wrong. How close did Carter get?

12. How many All-Star-type seasons did he have? How many All-Star games did he play in? Did most of the players who played in this many All-Star games go into the Hall of Fame?
Bosh at 25 already has 4 all-star appearances. I'd bet he gets 10, maybe more before he is done. Carter's at 8 and counting, though he hasn't gone since 2007.

13. If this man were the best player on his team, would it be likely that the team could win an NBA title?
This one works against them both. Carter doesn't have the edge, Bosh doesn't have the natural gifts. I'd say no to both.

14. What impact did the player have on basketball history? Was he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment? Did he change the game in any way? Was his college and/or international career especially noteworthy?
Another one for debate. Carter did make quite a splash but was it all flash, no cash?

The Verdict: I think they'll both make it, though neither will be first ballot entries.

I'd love to see your take on these questions! Justcopy and paste them and put in your answers.
Thanks TZ
scirocco53
Senior
And1: 164

Post#56 » by scirocco53 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:12 pm

Neither player has played long enough to be in the HOF yet. Wait another 5 years with VC, and 10 more with Bosh.
"Release the hounds"
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#57 » by Pchu » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:15 pm

Neither guy will make it. Neither Bosh nor Carter has ever made to the first All-NBA team. Neither come close to a MVP award. Neither won a title. They are both good players but not great players. And only great players should get into HOF.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,572

Post#58 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:22 pm

Pchu wrote:Neither guy will make it. Neither Bosh nor Carter has ever made to the first All-NBA team. Neither come close to a MVP award. Neither won a title. They are both good players but not great players. And only great players should get into HOF.

Now I hear that and even agree with you a little. With that being said though, I believe bosh will end up on a 1st All-Nba team.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#59 » by Rapsalot » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Vince takes Orlando to the next level ie wins a ring in the next 2 years plus his number then I think he makes it. Or if he stays health and plays for 5-6 more years and is good to very good and pads his number then yes. If he retires in the next two years without a ring then no.

Bosh way to early to say! Let's discuss in 5 years.
toast
Pro Prospect
And1: 262

Post#60 » by toast » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:36 pm

phoenixmolochia wrote:Don't fool yourselves. There is no prerequisite to winning in order to make it into the Hall of Fame. See Elgin Baylor, Bernard King, Alex English, Adrian Dantley, Karl Malone, Dominique Wilkins etc etc etc ad nauseum. Nor is there a required Finals appearance either for that matter.

Really the only measurable statistic are points. This is indisputable. Check Basketball Reference. Vince plays another 4-5 years. Gets to 20-25 K and he is a lock. And for the whole T-Mac and Stephon Marbury examples. Marbury has 17 K. Not even close to 20K. T-Mac may not even get to 20 K either with the way he was crippled.

11 year career averages of 23.5/5/4?

Come on now.

It is most likely unless T-mac retires that he will make 20 000. And you kind of avoided the question. Assuming that T-mac does make it will he make it to the hall of fame? Another slight hypothetical if Marbury didn't loose his sanity and just kept his numbers and loosing ways the last few years with NY would he have made it? (because he definitely would have been closing in to 20 000)

For the record I think that it is inevitable that Carter eventually makes it in. As you have mentioned the standards of very good but not game changing players making it has already been set and it is hard to raise the standard now as much as I would wish to. As I have mentioned this is why that unless he declines Bosh will also most likely make it.

I personally believe though that unless Carter wins a championship with a very good team in Orlando I think that voters will percieve him as a just stats kind of player. And as with your own examples, these guys do get in but rarely on the first ballot.

Return to Toronto Raptors