ImageImageImageImageImage

Hibbert/Jawaii

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Ka5p3r
Banned User
And1: 0

Hibbert/Jawaii 

Post#1 » by Ka5p3r » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:33 pm

in this article about Hibbert:

Code: Select all

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/fran_blinebury/09/24/youth.stepping.up//

...from reading that i realized we would have had a pretty good backup player!

Why were Hibbert and Jawaii included in the trade for O'Neal?? I'm not that familiar with the trade rules and reg. so pls forgive if its a stupid question. I mean...Hibbert was clearly better...as on youtube and such people were already pointing out that he wouldnt play well in the NBA as he just dominates the smaller players in his league with his size
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,572

Re: Hibbert/Jawaii 

Post#2 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:44 pm

It was ford and a pick(1st) for O'neal & a second. I think we drafted for the Pacers.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Str33t_Fight3r
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by Str33t_Fight3r » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:58 pm

We drafted for the Pacers, there's no way to tell if we would have picked Hibbert at 17 had we kept our pick.
Raps fan till I die

"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor" - Tupac Shakur

There's no "D" in Toronto Raptors...but there's a crap load of "O's"
mtamasi
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#4 » by mtamasi » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Ka5p3r wrote:in this article about Hibbert:

Why were Hibbert and Jawaii included in the trade for O'Neal?? I'm not that familiar with the trade rules and reg. so pls forgive if its a stupid question. I mean...Hibbert was clearly better...as on youtube and such people were already pointing out that he wouldnt play well in the NBA as he just dominates the smaller players in his league with his size

i'm not trying to flame you, just an observation... why do people on here worry about players that we could've drafted or kept. seriously, if the Raptors were around when Jordan was playing we could've had him!!! WTF?!?!?!? What did Billups do when he was on the team? nothing, sometimes a situation dictates how a player preforms (most times actually).

Remember when the Raps drafted CV, and he was supposed to flop in the NBA, that's why drafting is more a guessing game than rocket science.
Ka5p3r
Banned User

Post#5 » by Ka5p3r » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:05 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:It was ford and a pick(1st) for O'neal & a second. I think we drafted for the Pacers.

O yeah we did draft for them...
actually it was....Ford+Nesterovic+MaceoBaston+Draft(1st) for O'Neal + Draft(2nd)
How is that worth it to toss in our what was it 13th pick??

Str33t_Fight3r wrote:We drafted for the Pacers, there's no way to tell if we would have picked Hibbert at 17 had we kept our pick.

and yes...but we would've gotten someone who would've contributed more than Jawaii for sure at our 1st round pick!

Okay the better question is that...Why did we pick for the pacers and they pick for us?...why didnt we just get our own picks!? Was it the fact that Jawaii was signed for less than sumone at Hibbert's spot would have?...meaning we needed to be under the cap??
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,572

Post#6 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:21 pm

The deal was contingent on Hibbert being on the board I believe since they were giving up their center. Also with O'neal contract a pick might of been needed to salary reasons. Indy got a good deal tho, a starting/backup pg, two big man of service, and a top 20 pick.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#7 » by J Dilla » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:56 pm

They were included in a deal so that BC doesn't look stupid drafting Jawai at 17th. I'm glad he didn't, the man is out of the league now.
Ka5p3r
Banned User

Post#8 » by Ka5p3r » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:35 pm

J Dilla wrote:They were included in a deal so that BC doesn't look stupid drafting Jawai at 17th. I'm glad he didn't, the man is out of the league now.

haha yeah..and okay thanks guys ! :D
Calderon
Banned User
And1: 199

Post#9 » by Calderon » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:03 pm

J Dilla wrote:They were included in a deal so that BC doesn't look stupid drafting Jawai at 17th. I'm glad he didn't, the man is out of the league now.

Green font?
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#10 » by evilRyu » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:45 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:The deal was contingent on Hibbert being on the board I believe since they were giving up their center. Also with O'neal contract a pick might of been needed to salary reasons. Indy got a good deal tho, a starting/backup pg, two big man of service, and a top 20 pick.

that might not necessarily be true, but who knows... The deal was "verbally" agreed on days before the draft, so there really is no way at all of finding out who may fall to the #17th pick. I don't think that Hibbert was going to be the deal-breaker here.. who knows, maybe they were targeting Speights, but he was snatched before Hibbert
Assassin_1
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: Running up in your spot faster than CJ from San Andreas

Post#11 » by Assassin_1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:53 pm

It was a good pick for the Pacers they got a big man traditional center who plays inside while we got a big POS thats going to be out of the league in a few.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,857

Post#12 » by Duffman100 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:37 pm

mtamasi wrote:

i'm not trying to flame you, just an observation... why do people on here worry about players that we could've drafted or kept. seriously, if the Raptors were around when Jordan was playing we could've had him!!! WTF?!?!?!? What did Billups do when he was on the team? nothing, sometimes a situation dictates how a player preforms (most times actually).

Remember when the Raps drafted CV, and he was supposed to flop in the NBA, that's why drafting is more a guessing game than rocket science.

Billups was actually solid on the court for the Raptors, not amazing, but solid. A lot of fans, (myself included) were pretty confused when we decided not to keep him.
Ka5p3r
Banned User

Post#13 » by Ka5p3r » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:42 pm

mtamasi wrote:

nono i'm not worrying about him...i said i was curious to why indiana and toronto picked for each other...because it just made the trade less unfair for toronto...thats all i was asking
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#14 » by J Dilla » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:39 pm

Calderon wrote:

Green font?

Nope. I'm serious. They were obsessed with Jawai from the start, even rejected the TJ/Wallace deal because of it.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#15 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:49 pm

Nathan Jawai has game and still a lot of raw talent to be moulded.

If the Mavs give him a chance this season he'll be able to contribute off the bench. He was just never given a chance here in Toronto because of the heart scare. If it wasn't for Douby he would still be a Raptor.
Ka5p3r
Banned User

Post#16 » by Ka5p3r » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:56 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:Nathan Jawai has game and still a lot of raw talent to be moulded.

If the Mavs give him a chance this season he'll be able to contribute off the bench. He was just never given a chance here in Toronto because of the heart scare. If it wasn't for Douby he would still be a Raptor.

Of course any player to get into the NBA has talent and has potential...but i saw once when they put him out in garbage time...and every player has scored...and they wanted him to get on the board...so the raptors ran plays for him...however was unable to get into a good scoring position (couldn't even get a shot up i believe)...maybe he could be a good lock down/team defender like reggie evans one day...
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#17 » by mrsocko » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:40 am

Was Jawai's heart problem the same as the "monsters" heart problem
Dick expectation level 0/5
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#18 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Ka5p3r wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:Nathan Jawai has game and still a lot of raw talent to be moulded.

Of course any player to get into the NBA has talent and has potential...but i saw once when they put him out in garbage time...and every player has scored...and they wanted him to get on the board...so the raptors ran plays for him...however was unable to get into a good scoring position (couldn't even get a shot up i believe)...maybe he could be a good lock down/team defender like reggie evans one day...

He didn't do well with the Raptors because he was out of shape after sitting out for so long. Go watch some games with him playing for Team Australia where he drops 28/10 and you'll be nothing bu impressed.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#19 » by mowcrowbar » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:06 am

hawaii is better than jawaii
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,817

Post#20 » by junot111 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:46 am

They picked for each other because the deal couldn't be done until July 7th due to Ford's contract restriction

Return to Toronto Raptors