ImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Devlin is one of the nicest guys I've ever met

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

rage2021
Senior
And1: 523

Re: Matt Devlin is one of the nicest guys I've ever met 

Post#21 » by rage2021 » Mon Oct 5, 2009 8:16 pm

I dont think any announcer can please you guys..
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#22 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Oct 5, 2009 8:22 pm

Swirsky4PM wrote:Overall, he's a solid announcer. But he's no Chuck.

Thank God!
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#23 » by Darkseid » Mon Oct 5, 2009 8:27 pm

He still looks creepy sometimes...

But his Raptor passion is winning me over.
TorontoBaller
Analyst
And1: 1,390

Post#24 » by TorontoBaller » Mon Oct 5, 2009 8:29 pm

Devlin does not have good hair.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#25 » by lolwut » Mon Oct 5, 2009 8:34 pm

double c wrote:
lolwut wrote:Matt Devlin would be better received if he didn't act all creepy every once in a while.

Is it creepy to have a Houston Rocket in a banner touting the 09/10 Raps as the next champs?

No, no it's not.

Are you unaware of where the sig came from?

Yes, yes you are.
2023-2024 FatherTrackerâ„¢ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
xxxSwiZzxxx
Senior
And1: 13

Post#26 » by xxxSwiZzxxx » Mon Oct 5, 2009 8:37 pm

he seems like a really nice guy......but the thing that sorta creeps me out about him is when he is doing interviews with ppl, he gets this creepy look in his eyes as he stares at the other person and then this creepy smile and i swear i feel like he`s just going to lean in and kiss the other dude....

im not saying to hate on him......it just feels that way and then i start loling........i like his commentating though, but miss chucks enthusiastic calls.....
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#27 » by sanity » Mon Oct 5, 2009 8:46 pm

After watching him commentate with PJ Carlissimo during the playoffs, I really don't mind him at all. If you think Devlin tries hard, Chuck was just on another level - and it was pretty obvious at times a lot of players didn't like him.

As far as their basketball insight goes, I'd give the edge to Devlin. "Will Solomon, what-are-you-doing "
WesWesley
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#28 » by WesWesley » Mon Oct 5, 2009 8:57 pm

Swirsky4PM wrote:Somebody brought up this comparison, and I totally agree.

Overall, he's a solid announcer. But he's no Chuck.

I'm no Devlin fanatic, but I've never met the guy so i'll reserve judgment. He rides players like Kapono pretty hard, and I"m sure he'll have a man crush on Bargnani this year. Chuck was a homer, but he wasn't trying to be as friendly with the players, like Devlin is. He certainly wasn't giving them the "Devlin 3 move hand shake."

I noticed this handshake one day when I saw Devlin actually trying to get Kapono's digits during an interview. He had found Kapono at the bleachers and decided he'd go in for an interview. As he went in, he didn't just shake his hand; he shook his hand kinda did an awkard cross with his thumb, pulled Kapono in for the hug, and then gave him the pound it. Kapono had no idea what was going on, but kinda just went with the flow to look like he's a good guy in the media.

It wasn't long until I started to see him doing it more and more to other players. Although he wouldn't do this 3 move handshake to guys like Bosh, Calderon, Marion, JO, but more towards the dare-I-say "white" players. He made Bargnani uncomfortable with it, but you could see that Devlin wouldn't give up on him, just like his GM Bryan. Look out for this, he does it very discretely but he does it. There is no way he'll ever try it with Bosh, and I think Calderon probably told him to ****off after the first time he tried it. I wonder who he'll ride harder, Belinelli, or DeRozan? They are both fresh meat for him. I can already tell he's trying to go for one on one lunches with Belinelli, but I'm not sure he's ready to become pals and play XBOX with DeRozan and his cousin LeRoy who's only chillin till he finds a job as a chef, because he's in culinary school. Maybe DeRozan is a bit too immature for a guy like Devlin to hang out with. At least Swirskys wife had him by his throat, Devlin probably goes out and gets sh**faced with guys like Armstrong and Sherman Hamilton all the time. Sherman is a bit of a jockey too, but he's looking at it from a different perspective because he was a baller first, and then he became a analyst.
5:26 LAC - B. Davis misses a layup
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#29 » by YogiStewart » Mon Oct 5, 2009 9:00 pm

Raptors Board:

"Where Devlin vs Swirsky threads are started weekly!"
bingolong
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#30 » by bingolong » Mon Oct 5, 2009 9:20 pm

inrapscity wrote:however nice he may be, he can't compare to chuck. chuck was there for ya 18/7 and you could also go and have lunch with him.

That's because Chuck had no friends. Just the folks at DQ.
Completely forgot about John Saunders, he did a great job in his time with us. When Devlin goes,people around here will be whining about his replacement.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
RapsBulls4evr
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#31 » by RapsBulls4evr » Mon Oct 5, 2009 9:21 pm

LOL! :biggrin:
gojoorange
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,081

Post#32 » by gojoorange » Mon Oct 5, 2009 9:30 pm

I love watching Big 10 football when Devlin is calling the games, he's a great commentator and his passion for sports is obvious.
infernoskull
Senior
And1: 271

Post#33 » by infernoskull » Mon Oct 5, 2009 9:37 pm

I like him, his character and demeanour brings back memories of my childhood, when my guidance councellor introduced me to Mr.peepee.
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#34 » by Indiana Jones » Mon Oct 5, 2009 9:45 pm

i'm one of the biggest chuck swirsky haters out there, but i admit that he certainly did his job passionately and made an effort to involve the fans. devlin seems to be picking up right where swirsky left off.

as a commentator, devlin is far beyond swirsky, and his job during the playoffs on tnt was a testament to his respect around nba broadcasting circles.

what really hurts our game watching experience is not so much the quality of commentators, but the overall production. i hate the ridiculous amount of replays that they show. i don't know how many times they've played a replay of a stupid foul or violation over the live game and we miss seeing a bucket. i much prefer the american network broadcasts, and if i could watch the visitors feed, i would do it every time...unless it's boston
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,099

Post#35 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Oct 5, 2009 9:55 pm

Indiana Jones wrote:...and if i could watch the visitors feed, i would do it every time... especially if it's boston and Raps win

Fixed

If I had to relive one (non-sexual) moment of my life over and over, it would be watching Jose getting the and 1 in the last minute and listening to Tommy's reaction.

Anyway, Swirk was some weird guy who may never work on TV again. Devlin's a pro's pro.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,817

Post#36 » by junot111 » Mon Oct 5, 2009 9:55 pm

overtime...

no, raptors win.
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#37 » by Indiana Jones » Mon Oct 5, 2009 9:59 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Indiana Jones wrote:...and if i could watch the visitors feed, i would do it every time... especially if it's boston and Raps win

Fixed

If I had to relive one (non-sexual) moment of my life over and over, it would be watching Jose getting the and 1 in the last minute and listening to Tommy's reaction.

Anyway, Swirk was some weird guy who may never work on TV again. Devlin's a pro's pro.

do you have a link to that? i'd love to see it again and again
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,761

Post#38 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon Oct 5, 2009 10:05 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:
Swirsky4PM wrote:Overall, he's a solid announcer. But he's no Chuck.

Thank God!

This....I liked Chuck at first, but man was he awkward. Took things way too personally. Also, the blatant homerism killed me. I will say this, he was naturally excited when he called the game. Devlin seems a little too try hard at times, but that is kind of what makes it funny. J Killa!
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
kloair23
Junior
And1: 10

Post#39 » by kloair23 » Mon Oct 5, 2009 10:10 pm

I seriously miss chuck...
sigh.. overtime...
TheDoctor
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 13,088
Location: Saving humanity, and the Raptors board, from aliens... and themselves.

Post#40 » by TheDoctor » Mon Oct 5, 2009 11:33 pm

Again I'll back up skinnyP here - I've met both a number of times. I like aspects of Chuck - he's good in studio, on the radio, on the air (unless battling with Leo) - and is good with fans over the phone or by e-mail, where he's in his comfort zone.

But in person with fans, Matt is WAY better. And his style is a lot more professional, and works well whether you team is good or bad - Chuck did not work well for a bad team, and the homerism became a lot more obvious and painful.

I wish Chuck the best, but I'm very happy with Matt going forward, and look forward to meeting him at future team events.

And we can't talk announcers without giving Jack a shout out - he's EXACTLY the same in person and on air - which is a very good thing. Classic RGM moment was when Harry Palmer BOUGHT Jack a beer at the draft party one year. Good times. :D
Raptors Season Ticketholder since the 2000 playoffs, through all the lows... build to the championship high... to Tampa and back again.
RIP The Hater - we miss you.

Return to Toronto Raptors