ImageImageImageImageImage

Time To Extend Amir Johnson [Blog]

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Re: Time To Extend Amir Johnson [Blog] 

Post#41 » by dillio » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:43 pm

dagger wrote:NBA teams don't make financial decisions in a vacuum. They have little things like the salary cap and luxury tax to consider. Johnson is getting $4 million now, and unless he wants to sign for half that, I wouldn't give him an extension because in the NBA today, he's not a $4 million ball player. Detroit gave him that deal on potential, but since then you have to do more in the NBA to get that kind of money.

With our tax situation next year, it would not be smart to pay him $4 million or more at this point. If Bosh leaves, we can overpay Amir a bit. If Bosh doesn't leave, $4 million is too much to pay for 10-15 minutes a night.

Even if Bosh re-signs, Rasho is gone and Amir would be the primary big man backup. With Bosh and Bargs each getting 30-35 mins a night, that leaves 26-36 minutes for Amir/Evans. If Amir stays out of foul trouble and is productive for 20-25 min a night you still don't think he's worth $4 mil? Maybe a lot of ifs, but certainly not as clear cut as you're making it out to be.
HighOctane
Lead Assistant
And1: 363

Post#42 » by HighOctane » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Nothing close to a Banks salary. I'd extend him at 2.5-3, also give Weems a 1.5 - 2 deal with incentives. In terms of athleticism these 2 have made the game much more exciting.
Raptolicism
Rookie
And1: 480

Post#43 » by Raptolicism » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:11 pm

cosmostein wrote:Whats the deadline to re-sign him?
October 31st?

That's my question too. My buddy who knows stuff is pretty sure that because Amir is not on his rookie contract, we must wait until the end of the season to throw a contract at him. He wasn't positive on this though.

If we don't lock him up, it will be tough not to trade him at the deadline(provided he isn't a restricted FA). Conversely though, I have much faith in BC to work out contracts in these situations. I was mildly concerned that TJ was at the end of his contract when we traded for him, but BC locked him up to a reasonable contract no problem.
YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! WE THE CHAMPS BABY!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#44 » by Indiana Jones » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:52 pm

i'm reserving judgment until i see him over an extended period of time. from what i've seen, he has an unbelievable ability to block shots, and he runs the floor well. he's not a great overall defender or rebounder, but with some time (and working with reggie) he might develop into a defensive force. offensively, i don't think he's particularly skilled.

the real question is how much is he worth...and at this point, i just don't know.

Return to Toronto Raptors