ImageImageImageImageImage

Preseason GT: Celtics @ Raptors - Oct. 18

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Re: Preseason GT: Celtics @ Raptors - Oct. 18 

Post#741 » by Young_Buc » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:01 pm

Bellinelli looked like he was sick or injured or something. He just let marquis daniels go around him and gave no effort at all today.

Liked what I saw from Bargs

If Derozan can hit his free throws, (today was the first time he shot poorly) he should get more time out there. Him and Turk are the only ones who go to the basket.

Turk looked great.

Calderon holds the ball FOREVER on offense. Jack pushed the tempo and the team performed well wiht him at the point. Jose should just give the damn ball to Turkoglu.

Bosh was coasting.

Our Scrubs looked like Scrubs. Rasho, Weems, Amir, Douby, O'Bryant= Scrubs.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#742 » by Undefeated » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:02 pm

PopsMensahBonsu wrote:I think im starting to agree with Wrights as our starting SG. Im a huge dd fan but hes not ready yet to start defending the other starting sg's. He gives a good effort though. I think wright fits a little better because he can defend better, hes got better Bball IQ, hes a better shooters and hes got decent enough handles to get into the paint.

Wright was a good defender for Dallas, but it doesn't necessarily mean he can or will be a good defender for us. He's in a whole different place now. With the way we're playing defense, he'll be asked to do much more on the defensive end than just stick to his man the whole time which was what he was doing in Dallas.

Neither are great shooters, but I'd say we'd just continue to roll with DD because the chemistry is starting to pick up and he's doing fine. With Wright, we'll just be taking a step back and slow things down IMO. You're sacrificing a lot just for Wright's defense when it's a small improvement.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#743 » by J Dilla » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:04 pm

Yeah, Wright was playing under Carlisle.

I expect him to be a much better defender under the defensive gurus in Iavaroni and Triano.
danny-callahan
Head Coach
And1: 84

Post#744 » by danny-callahan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:08 pm

I like how Antione Wright = Shane Battier ATM.
The Notic
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: it's a bird. it's a plane. NO! it's Lois Lane givin me brain.

Post#745 » by The Notic » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:10 pm

danny-callahan wrote:I like how Antione Wright = Shane Battier ATM.

lol. i love the raps board so much.
Morena R
Analyst
And1: 1
Location: Born in Santo Dominigo,Dominican Rep, But I Go To School In Toronto

Post#746 » by Morena R » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:08 pm

That was a sad performance, wth and at home too.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#747 » by sanity » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:35 pm

Decent first half though, the 2nd q. was probably the best play this team has ever shown. The final score was due mostly to our 2nd unit coming in a blowing a tire. Bargs having foul trouble didn't help either. Even Rasho had a poor shooting night by his own godly standards.
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Post#748 » by McFurious1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:37 pm

the refs lost us the game
D-Wins-RingsIMO
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: TORONTO ... where worst DRtg in the league happens!

Post#749 » by D-Wins-RingsIMO » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:52 pm

McFurious1 wrote:the refs lost us the game

our starter had 10 more free throws than their starters.

come up with a better **** excuses please.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#750 » by Fairview4Life » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:59 pm

D-Wins-RingsIMO wrote:
McFurious1 wrote:the refs lost us the game

our starter had 10 more free throws than their starters.

come up with a better **** excuses please.

...the final count was 27-25. the Raps shot 2 FT's in the entire second half. In the second half there were a large number of very questionable calls, ticky tack stuff called on the Raps defensively, and a lot being let go when a Raps player would drive on the other end. I wouldn't say the refs lost the Raps the game, but it's extremely selective to point to starter FT's as a way to dismiss his point.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,340

Post#751 » by TOStateofMind » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:01 am

lol blaming the refs...

Boston is clearly leaps and bounds better than us. We have A LOT of work to do. We'll see how things turn out though once the regular season starts and we have everyone healthy.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#752 » by Joker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:09 am

Why is it so utterly hard for some people to accept the fact that we're a mediocre team? You don't play, coach, manage, or own the team -- the Raptors' mediocrity doesn't say anything about you.
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#753 » by rdtx2005 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:23 am

it's only preseason.. this team, as we know it, needs more time to 'gel'
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,190

Post#754 » by Tofubeque » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:39 am

Joker wrote:Why is it so utterly hard for some people to accept the fact that we're a mediocre team? You don't play, coach, manage, or own the team -- the Raptors' mediocrity doesn't say anything about you.

Perhaps because we haven't played a single meaningful game.

You seem awfully eager to declare the Raptors mediocre for not beating one of the best teams in the league. Opening night's coming up, we can pretend not to care about the team when they're 0-1. Until then, give it a rest.
props Turbozone
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,415

Post#755 » by Tha Cynic » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:46 am

Well you added an overrated Hedo Turkaglu to pretty much the same core that the Raptors had last season and suddenly people think they're going to be able to beat the Celtics? No. The Raptors might be slightly better and sneak into one of the last playoff slots, but they're still not a good team. They might have changed a lot of the supporting cast, but most of the focal points weren't really big upgrades.

Bosh hasn't looked like he's moved to the next level; Calderon is still bad defensively; Bargnani still looks on some nights, off other nights; Derozan is still just a rookie who's shot has left him since summer league; Belinelli is as inconsistent as expected; Rasho's just here to fill a roster spot, and has now resorted to those long jumpshots even more than he did in the past; Amir Johnson is still just a hustle guy; Jack is a backup; Evans is not the big time acquisition everyone is making him out to be; Weems is the only one who's really played better than expected, but probably won't get much playing time anyways and Wright is not going to come back and save the Raptors' defensive woes.

I will never understand this love fest the Raptor management, media and some fans have with Jay Triano either. The guy is basically Sam Mitchell without the sarcasm. Instead of the Raptors being killed in the paint, they'll now be killed from outside, and their offense is no different than its been for the last few seasons.

I think some of you need to temper your expectations.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#756 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:51 am

The Raps starters, statistically, were very highly rated last season after the Marion trade. When the "core" of Bosh, Jose, and Bargnani were in it. The bench was something like 28th in the NBA. So the core being slightly upgraded with Turkoglu and massively upgraded with Jack, Johnson, Wright, Rasho, etc., might be a recipe for a lot more success than last season.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
oncl0ud9
Senior
And1: 0

Post#757 » by oncl0ud9 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:54 am

I don't think we can judge the team on pre-season games, but we are no luck to make the playoffs. We just have to see where the chips fall. I wouldn't be shocked either way. One thing I truely believe is that Bosh and Bargs cannot co-exist.. I also didn't realize that Bosh could get a 6 yr 135+ million dollar contract... do we really want to invest it on him? 22 million a year... thats insane. We need a guy that is going to get his nose dirty and be that low post presence we need. I hope we can swing I deal to trade Bosh and dump Banks for a young bigman. The only one I can really see us getting is Andrew Bynum. Thoughts?
RAPTORS4LIFE4
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#758 » by RAPTORS4LIFE4 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:54 am

Tha Cynic wrote:Well you added, an overrated Hedo Turkaglu to pretty much the same core that the Raptors had last season and suddenly people think they're going to be able to beat the Celtics? No. The Raptors might be slightly better and sneak into one of the last playoff slots, but they're still not a good team. They might have changed a lot of the supporting cast, but most of the focal points weren't really big upgrades.

Bosh hasn't looked like he's moved to the next level; Calderon is still bad defensively; Bargnani still looks on some nights, off other nights; Derozan is still just a rookie who's shot has left him since summer league; Belinelli is as inconsistent as expected; Rasho's just here to fill a roster spot, and has now resorted to those long jumpshots even more than he did in the past; Amir Johnson is still just a hustle guy; Jack is a backup; Evans is not the big time acquisition everyone is making him out to be; Weems is the only one who's really played better than expected, but probably won't get much playing time anyways and Wright is not going to come back and save the Raptors' defensive woes.

I will never understand this love fest the Raptor management, media and some fans have with Jay Triano either. The guy is basically Sam Mitchell without the sarcasm. Instead of the Raptors being killed in the paint, they'll now be killed from outside, and their offense is no different than its been for the last few seasons.

Thanks a lot for slaughtering my innocence

Ed Davis Delivers a Pizza-------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6pHAJfAHQ0
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#759 » by sanity » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:55 am

Tha Cynic wrote:Well you added, an overrated Hedo Turkaglu to pretty much the same core that the Raptors had last season and suddenly people think they're going to be able to beat the Celtics? No. The Raptors might be slightly better and sneak into one of the last playoff slots, but they're still not a good team. They might have changed a lot of the supporting cast, but most of the focal points weren't really big upgrades.

I said this exact same thing well over a month ago on here and was labeled a troll, or someone who conjured up a new realgm account due to an old one being banned. Funny how its all basically true. I guess the odd youtube clip here and there that shows 10 second segments of a player (*cough*, Belinelli, Johnson, Weems) is enough to convince a lot of fans that a player will always perform in that manner.

The sad thing is, I felt this was the best game our starting unit has played in the preseason. However, this Boston team was obviously much stronger and no match. I am much more optimistic of Turkoglu and especially Andrea. I like how he actually didn't seem to care about taking fouls when it came towards his involvement in the defensive end. This team needs more of that from everyone. Let them get their FTs, I don't want those easy open dunks/layups.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#760 » by Joker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:57 am

Tofubeque wrote:
Joker wrote:Why is it so utterly hard for some people to accept the fact that we're a mediocre team? You don't play, coach, manage, or own the team -- the Raptors' mediocrity doesn't say anything about you.

Perhaps because we haven't played a single meaningful game.

You seem awfully eager to declare the Raptors mediocre for not beating one of the best teams in the league. Opening night's coming up, we can pretend not to care about the team when they're 0-1. Until then, give it a rest.

we were a mediocre team last year, changed a few pieces and lost marion but gained turkoglu. Hedo's not God. Us being mediocre isn't wild speculation -- I think it's a pretty solid assumption.

Return to Toronto Raptors