ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA dives headlong into new era of statistical anaylsis

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

kirbs
Banned User
And1: 0

NBA dives headlong into new era of statistical anaylsis 

Post#1 » by kirbs » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:47 pm

NBA dives headlong into new era of statistical analysis

Posted Oct 23 2009 3:38PM

The life of an NBA coach is a never-ending series of questions.

Which of my point guards makes my small forward a better shooter? Should I force LeBron baseline or middle when he faces up on the left wing? Do I get the same production out of my sixth man after he's played 30 minutes as I did when he first checked in?

Not long ago, a coach and his staff would have to sit in front of a TV or a computer for hours to figure out all the answers. Now, those answers are right at their fingertips.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/j ... ndex.html#
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,561

Re: NBA dives headlong into new era of statistical anaylsis 

Post#2 » by DG88 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:53 pm

wow that's huge, just think of the different strategies that a coaching staff can come up with, with this new analysis. Supersub must of jizzed in his pants after reading this :lol:.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#3 » by supersub15 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:55 pm

DG88 wrote:wow that's huge, just think of the different strategies that a coaching staff can come up with, with this new analysis. Supersub must of jizzed in his pants after reading this :lol:.

I did. Excuse me while I go clean up. Be back in a sec.
nikeone
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by nikeone » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:00 pm

New stats like this may also put you in your place and show you that your past views were flawed or flat out wrong.
hkr
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#5 » by hkr » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:11 am

Speaking of stats

Malcolm Gladwell wrote:(questioned about stats revolution in bball)
My take on it is that what you're looking for is a balance between these two things. I remember once having a conversation with a top executive with the Toronto Raptors. I asked her about the stats revolution in basketball and she just kind of shrugged and said, "It's interesting, and we look at those things, but you have to understand that for our purposes, it's all [about] character." The thing that separates players is that some have a work ethic, some don't; some are coachable, some aren't; some party all night, some go to bed early. From her standpoint, it's all those intangibles.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... d=rss-arts

I always thought Colangelo is a big gut feeling kinda guy and I guess the team's that way too.
Flashy_Lights
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#6 » by Flashy_Lights » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:03 am

hkr wrote:Speaking of stats

Malcolm Gladwell wrote:(questioned about stats revolution in bball)
My take on it is that what you're looking for is a balance between these two things. I remember once having a conversation with a top executive with the Toronto Raptors. I asked her about the stats revolution in basketball and she just kind of shrugged and said, "It's interesting, and we look at those things, but you have to understand that for our purposes, it's all [about] character." The thing that separates players is that some have a work ethic, some don't; some are coachable, some aren't; some party all night, some go to bed early. From her standpoint, it's all those intangibles.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... d=rss-arts

I always thought Colangelo is a big gut feeling kinda guy and I guess the team's that way too.

This guy is flat out intelligent. I remember when I first stumbled onto his work. I was passing by a local book store and the cover for Blink just seemed to catch my eye. I went in read the sleeve and was hooked. I have since read almost everything he has published.
Props to ®ated

Return to Toronto Raptors