ImageImageImageImageImage

Give Jay Triano Credit

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,357

Give Jay Triano Credit 

Post#1 » by PerfectJab » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:50 am

I've created this thread to offset some of the negativity directed to Triano on this board. He may not be the most articulate guy, but today's game was a great indication of what he can do.

1) he adjusted to the offensive sets terrifically
2) his substitutions were almost flawless
3) his use of Derozan was perfect. He allowed him to be put in pressure situations without it having an negative impact on the outcome of the game. Yet he allowed him to make a positive impact when he was in the game
4) timeouts actually made a difference and he called them at the right time.

Like players, with success I can only see his confidence shooting up and his coaching ability raising to a different level as a result.

Mind you, not all the success can be attributed to him as the raps have a lot of high IQ players, but he did his job.

Was anyone else here impressed or noticed what a great coaching job he did tonight?
Kayjay
Banned User
And1: 180

Re: Give Jay Triano Credit 

Post#2 » by Kayjay » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:52 am

He did well for the most part.

Didn't like how he let a twenty point lead dwindle and didn't just switch to an anti-small ball lineup or call some timeouts.
Quiet-Storm
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#3 » by Quiet-Storm » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:53 am

Ponder on the hidden wisdom in this image
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#4 » by Volcano » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:56 am

I've never knocked on Triano, but I didn't think he'd have the team ready to compete this soon. Of course, Cleveland hasn't been looking the greatest and we still had our 3rd quarter melt-down. But so far, I have nothing to complain about (unlike Mitchell who was a strategic headache).
PickleJ2012
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by PickleJ2012 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:56 am

I actually work in high performance sport (prep for Olympics and such) and I love what I see and hear from Triano. I know people see the preseason and really question what is going on. But it takes work (and time) to build a team - to develop the technical/tactical cohesiveness and team chemistry that allows you to win at the highest level consistently. And this game may be just a tease in the relative short-term, but I believe that Jay-T can bring this squad along in the long-term (if given the chance).
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#6 » by Southward1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:56 am

I just re-read some of the game thread and people where calling him an idiot for not subbing out Jack, I crack up looking back at that because I was loving the way Hedo and Jack where creating together. It didn't matter that there shots where a bit off they where getting into the paint and creating easy opportunities for others. The reason the raptors won is because Triano didn't sub Jack out when everybody wanted him to. Jack's defense and driving into the lane was the x-factor this team didn't have at the guard position last year. btw....Rasho is better than Amir and I'm glad Triano played Rasho over him at key times
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#7 » by Jakay » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:56 am

Yeah, but I've always been a fan of Triano ever since Nash and the Olympics that one overachieving year.

I think his real test will be 81 games from now.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#8 » by 5DOM » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:57 am

He's gotta give Bargnani more touches.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#9 » by Boogie! » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:00 am

i disagree with the articulate part. i think triano speaks very well and in great detail.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#10 » by jonny three time » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:00 am

The only thing I didn't like was that Marco played 12 mins less than Jack. Their minutes should be on par with eachother.

Otherwise he managed the rotation great and seemed to have the guys trained well on D.
kem416
Pro Prospect
And1: 256

Post#11 » by kem416 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:02 am

Triano met Mike Brown tit for tat.
I'm happy with the rotation and the use of time outs. He coached a smart game.
Wiretap: "Confirmed: Bryan Colangelo's collar acted as blinder in contract negotiations with Turkoglu. MLSE orderd new tailor. Tailor fired after Landry Fields brought in."
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#12 » by Jakay » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:06 am

Meeting Mike Brown tit for tat is like saying you managed to stay in the lines in your colouring book.

It deserves a gold star, in other words.
Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Post#13 » by Coach Smiley » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:08 am

I actually have faith in Triano I'm not going to second guess his judgment all the time like I did for Mitchell
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,357

Post#14 » by PerfectJab » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:09 am

Boogie! wrote:i disagree with the articulate part. i think triano speaks very well and in great detail.

I can understand why you would say that and agree with you for the most part. You do understand what he's saying and there is intelligence in what he says. In comparison to Mitchell, he's Obama.

My idea of articulate in the coaching sense is someone that uses hyperbole more effectively to motivate and can string words together with ease. I just get the sense that he's not as good of a speaker as some of the other coaches I have heard in the NBA. Maybe I'm just being a perfectionist, just as long as his message resonates and is understood by his players, I guess this type of thing shouldn't matter.
TorontoRapture
Sixth Man
And1: 978

Post#15 » by TorontoRapture » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:14 am

Props.
WezzyP
Junior
And1: 0

Post#16 » by WezzyP » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:18 am

he shoulda called a few more timeouts