ImageImageImageImageImage

BC on the Fan

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Re: BC on the Fan 

Post#21 » by Ted Lasso » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:55 pm

djsunyc wrote:
Chandler Bing wrote:
UssjTrunks wrote:
And Evans isn't going to do anything for this team other than play 10-15 MPG.

Besides he'll most likely cut into Amir's minutes, not Chris or Andrea's.

you never know how triano will play out his rotation. plus, with reggie and amir ready willing and able to come into the game, both bosh and andrea are put on notice to bring it. in addition, maybe they can be more aggressive on help defense and use a few more fouls as we have backups that can come in for them.

It doesn't seem like either one of them has unselfish and committed enough a mentality to say, "Let me take this extra foul for the team. We have another guy that can come in for me anyway".
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#22 » by Reignman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:56 pm

The fact that he mentions Andrea's defensive shortcomings and leaves Jose out tells me Andrea ain't going nowhere but Jose may be on the verge of being on the block.

Why put down the guy if you are about to sell?

Anyway, might be wishful thinking on my part but I always thought that Jose wasn't the type of PG that Jay wanted and clearly his defense perpetuates the crappiness of our team D.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,099

Post#23 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Reignman wrote:The fact that he mentions Andrea's defensive shortcomings and leaves Jose out tells me Andrea ain't going nowhere but Jose may be on the verge of being on the block.

Anyway, might be wishful thinking on my part but I always thought that Jose wasn't the type of PG that Jay wanted and clearly his defense perpetuates the crappiness of our team D.

Hey, it just occurred to me that in the "Red on Roundball" segment, BC said he loved the description of how to run a fast break, cuz he (BC) always likes fast breaks. I think we can set the number of weeks that Jose has remaining as a Raptor in the low single digits.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#24 » by Ted Lasso » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:02 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Reignman wrote:The fact that he mentions Andrea's defensive shortcomings and leaves Jose out tells me Andrea ain't going nowhere but Jose may be on the verge of being on the block.

Hey, it just occurred to me that in the "Red on Roundball" segment, BC said he loved the description of how to run a fast break, cuz he (BC) always likes fast breaks. I think we can set the number of weeks that Jose has remaining as a Raptor in the low single digits.

If you play the segment backwards, from 01:36 to 01:39, Bryan clearly says, "I am trading Jose's ass".
Philip J Fry
Rookie
And1: 93

Post#25 » by Philip J Fry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:03 pm

dirtybird wrote:
I agree. I think that some are over-stating the level of impact that Evans would have made. It's a convenient thing to say since you can't prove it otherwise until he actually plays.

Let's not forget that there are also those who are under-stating the level of impact that Evans will have, and that this is also a convenient thing to say since you can't prove otherwise until he actually plays.
Chosen_One23
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#26 » by Chosen_One23 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:08 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:All this Reggie Evans talk is ridiculous. Reggie Evans is not a good basketball player.

LOL i definately agree. I hate BC for that--everyone season he has an excuse. Season number 1: We miss Garbajosa and his absence/toughness is the reason we arent doing too well.

Season Number 2: We miss Delfino's defense/offense more than we thought he would--and this is reflecting in our season standing.

Season Number 3: Reggie Evans
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#27 » by Phenomenologist » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Champipple wrote:Haha. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Evans has become the new Garbojosa.

Wait, did he start talking about him as a potential glue guy? It's always funny when you excuse the construction of an entire roster by the absence of a 10-15 minute/game bit player. That's like BCs go-to move.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#28 » by Volcano » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:15 pm

djsunyc wrote:reggie evans is not a good basketball player? how do you quantify that? how do you reach that assessment?

b/c ever since 2004, he's been a solid rotational player for playoff teams.

sorry that he can't do some fancy offensive stuff, but the guy brings a component to us that we don't have.

considering our losses in memphis + pheonix + utah were close midway through the 4th quarter, his presence could've been a difference between a win and a loss.

how can you make such a blanket statement like that?

go ask 76er fans what they think of him..

He's good for rebounding and trapping
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#29 » by Phenomenologist » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:17 pm

Philip J Fry wrote:
dirtybird wrote:
I agree. I think that some are over-stating the level of impact that Evans would have made. It's a convenient thing to say since you can't prove it otherwise until he actually plays.

Let's not forget that there are also those who are under-stating the level of impact that Evans will have, and that this is also a convenient thing to say since you can't prove otherwise until he actually plays.

Can't prove otherwise? I'm pretty sure you can. Evans is a career 10th man (8th-9th man during his "prime"!) who will probably end up taking away minutes from a better player (Amir). I don't deny the benefit of sending in a bruiser for a few minutes a game to strike some fear into the opponent. But his impact is essentially guaranteed to be minimal.
Reignman
Banned User

Post#30 » by Reignman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:18 pm

Philip J Fry wrote:
dirtybird wrote:

First of all, these guys don't have any clue of when Evans will return and to sit here and say he's going to make a difference seems like the biggest cop out in the world. What if he doesn't return this season? We write if off because Reggie Evans was injured? I have to ask, do they think the fans are ass clowns?

And when Reggie does return, how many minutes is he going to play? At the min. Bosh / Bargs take up 70 mins. That leaves 26 minutes and considering Amir's play I think he deserves at least 15 minutes a game, leaving Evans with 11.

So 11 minutes of Reggie Evans is the difference?
gregdj
Starter
And1: 251

Post#31 » by gregdj » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Chandler Bing wrote:What the heck is Bryan talking about? Andrea is a solid defender and he has low rebounding numbers because he boxes out and Chris steals his rebounds. Everybody knows that.

lol @ bargs being a solid defender
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#32 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Reignman wrote:And when Reggie does return, how many minutes is he going to play? At the min. Bosh / Bargs take up 70 mins. That leaves 26 minutes and considering Amir's play I think he deserves at least 26 minutes a game, leaving Evans with zero.

So zero minutes of Reggie Evans is the difference?

Fixed
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,510

Post#33 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:21 pm

My assessment of Shaq's weaknesses:

'He definitely needs to improve his outside shooting and shoot free throws better.'

It's freakish how common this kind of marketing spin language is just accepted, now. I mean, I totally understand why BC uses it...he's a salesman, that's who 'spin' was invented for.

But you read the many on board around here, and no one has a weakness, no one can't do something...they just have things they 'need to improve', or 'have to work on', and somehow using that language morphs a fundmental weakness or inability into an arbitary spot on a progression chart.

Or, to put it another way, how many minutes/games/weeks/months/seasons of watching him play did it take YOU to know that Shaq was never gonna lead the league in 3-point shooting?

Or is that still not something we can say, because he's still 'trying to improve'?

A lot of guys DON'T do things, AREN'T doing things, and HAVEN'T done things for the simple reason that they aren't any good at it. What color's my parachute?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#34 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:23 pm

Hopefully it's just a backpack.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Philip J Fry
Rookie
And1: 93

Post#35 » by Philip J Fry » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Phenomenologist wrote:
Philip J Fry wrote:
dirtybird wrote:

Can't prove otherwise? I'm pretty sure you can. Evans is a career 10th man who will probably end up taking away minutes from a better player (Amir). I don't deny the benefit of sending in a bruiser for a few minutes a game to strike some fear into the opponent. But his impact is essentially guaranteed to be minimal.

I'm not saying he needs a huge allotment of minutes, but I am saying that we can't quantify his impact on this team because we haven't seen how he fits in with the rest of the players on the floor.

BTW, your post contains "pretty sure", "probably" and "essentially" - speculative terms which prove nothing. Your assertions are no more proof than anyone else's opinion.

There are those who say he'll have a big impact, there are those who say he'll have no impact. What I'm saying is that we can't know what his impact will be until we actually see him play.
Reignman
Banned User

Post#36 » by Reignman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:27 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:My assessment of Shaq's weaknesses:

'He definitely needs to improve his outside shooting and shoot free throws better.'

It's freakish how common this kind of marketing spin language is just accepted, now. I mean, I totally understand why BC uses it...he's a salesman, that's who 'spin' was invented for.

But you read the many on board around here, and no one has a weakness, no one can't do something...they just have things they 'need to improve', or 'have to work on', and somehow using that language morphs a fundmental weakness or inability into an arbitary spot on a progression chart.

Or, to put it another way, how many minutes/games/weeks/months/seasons of watching him play did it take YOU to know that Shaq was never gonna lead the league in 3-point shooting?

Or is that still not something we can say, because he's still 'trying to improve'?

A lot of guys DON'T do things, AREN'T doing things, and HAVEN'T done things for the simple reason that they aren't any good at it. What color's my parachute?

I think it's more a matter of "hope" than "expect". Kind of like, "let's just make the playoffs and anything can happen".

And with a 24 year old guy you can't necessarily rule out that the light bulb turns on even though the odds are stacked against him. Don't fret, BC gave him 5 years to be judged, in 1.75 seasons we'll know the truth.
Mikey Streetz
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#37 » by Mikey Streetz » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:30 pm

Jose for Monta??
Anyone?
Anyone?
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,510

Post#38 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:30 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:Hopefully it's just a backpack.

Heh, I'm sure you're 'optimistic' that it is.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#39 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:31 pm

Philip J Fry wrote:
There are those who say he'll have a big impact, there are those who say he'll have no impact. What I'm saying is that we can't know what his impact will be until we actually see him play.

Oh, but we have seen him play. We've seen him miss putback after putback in our (generally lousy) pre-season. We've seen him stick a foot under one of our shooters when he played for the Nuggets, take a solid punch from Rasho and watch as we obliterated his team in Garbo's last game as a healthy Raptor. We've seen Bargs blow by him with ease when Evans played for the Sixers.

Amir will not lose a single minute when Evans comes back. He better not.
Reignman
Banned User

Post#40 » by Reignman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:31 pm

Mikey Streetz wrote:Jose for Monta??
Anyone?
Anyone?

been there done that, if a trade happens chances are it will be for a player or package we didn't expect.

Return to Toronto Raptors