ImageImageImageImageImage

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

The_Producer
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re:  

Post#41 » by The_Producer » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Colangelo is a good not great GM for one. Second, every GM makes mistakes that is the nature of the job, but it's obvious he lives by the mantra "with great risk, comes great reward". If you disagree just look at his history of moves from when he was with the Suns until now. With that said I think firing him would be the wrong move, because he still has some credibility with some fans and he's well respected around the league.
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Re:  

Post#42 » by McFurious1 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Evermore wrote:
Trading for journeyman Nesterovic when he had 21 million and 3 years left on his deal was idiotic!

Extending Bargnani when it was clear the frontcout of Bosh and Bargs wasn't going to work was more idiotic!

Signing an unathletic, 30 year old Hedo who's never been an all-star to a 53 million dollar deal was the cream of the crop!

Colangelo overpays for mediocrity...and there's no evidence of that changing anytime soon

He's not a great GM by any means...

You know what's even more idiotic... when Raptors fans think they know what they're talking about.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Re:  

Post#43 » by Mustard_Tiger » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:38 pm

PeterJ wrote:I am seriously questioning BC's "plan" now, if there is any.

He's a good GM, but has no vision for this team.

I hope that Bosh decides to leave, and then BC will have a chance to fix the core of the problem (being Bosh, Jose, Bargs as the "foundation").

He made a mistake signing Mitchell, then firing him, and hiring a rookie as a replacement without any sort of a coaching search.

He never had a real plan of success. I'm sure even he doesn't seriously believe this team can contend. All he does is create enough hype to sell tickets, which, I guess was the job he was hired for.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Re:  

Post#44 » by Joker » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Colangelo's moves haven't really been terrible -- they've just been totally uninspiring. The kinds of moves that could get you into the playoffs, but not any further.
anon2222
Sixth Man
And1: 980

Re:  

Post#45 » by anon2222 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:41 pm

All you're saying here is that the Blazers, too, miscalculated the Roy pick by choosing Aldridge ahead of him.

Thanks for agreeing.

How did you get that from my post? lol. They knew what they were doing. The guy they wanted (Roy) wasn't going to be picked by any of the teams before. So they knew they could wait and work out a deal to get him at a lower pick and at a cheaper price. If anything it is a smart move by their front office.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Re:  

Post#46 » by Mustard_Tiger » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:41 pm

YogiStewart wrote:anyone posting here overreact much?

Brian Colangelo has done a bad job. This really isn't debatable anymore. How is it overreacting to point that out?
Hobo Gonzolez
Banned User
And1: 2

Re:  

Post#47 » by Hobo Gonzolez » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:45 pm

Colangelo is the only GM in the world that can get away with trading a pick to get a player, then trading a pick to get rid of him.
He also has not drafted the best player available when he has made picks.
He has overpayed almost every free agent he has signed.
His good moves back in 07 have been overshadowed by all the stupid moves he has made recently.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,762

Re:  

Post#48 » by Basketball_Jones » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:48 pm

breignchile wrote:
The_Producer wrote:The first mistake Colangelo made was keeping Mitchell.

Sam Mitchell won Coach of the Year, BC had to re-sign him. If he didn't, what coach would want to sign with the Raptors? You cannot run a successful business and not reward people given the highest personal honor they can receive. I think it is amazing how many posters do not understand this.

Dumars fired Carlisle after his coach of the year run and brought in who he always wanted, Larry Brown. They haven't had a problem bringing in coaches since. Bottom line is, if you can't work with someone and have someone else better in mind, then let that person go. If the NBA is a business, that's how the business world works. Carlisle wasn't well liked by Dumars and some of his peers, so despite the success he was let go.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Walid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,611

Re:  

Post#49 » by Walid » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:55 pm

Lets all forget the Summer of 09, where Raps fans jumped on BC's dick.
scruffz
Ballboy

Re:  

Post#50 » by scruffz » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Evermore wrote:
Raptor/LakerFan wrote:i think he's made more bad moves than good moves, but for some reason i still have faith in him.
Some of the bad moves:
-trading TJ for Oneal
- Signing Fred Jones
- Signing Kapono
- Resigning Mitchell
- Hiring Triano?
- Trading 2 first round picks

I don't think drafting Bargnani was a bad move because that was a bad draft. Noone would have picked Roy with the top pick so we can't sit here now and blame BC for not picking him.

Trading for journeyman Nesterovic when he had 21 million and 3 years left on his deal was idiotic!

Extending Bargnani when it was clear the frontcout of Bosh and Bargs wasn't going to work was more idiotic!

Signing an unathletic, 30 year old Hedo who's never been an all-star to a 53 million dollar deal was the cream of the crop!

Colangelo overpays for mediocrity...and there's no evidence of that changing anytime soon

Uhh....you know all star games are totally subjective right? I'm also guessing you didn't see Hedo's performance in last years playoffs.

trading for Rasho was a good move, because he was exactly what Colangelo wanted. A big body to take up space in the paint, plus he has NBA experience. He never killed the teams cap and prevented them from making other acquisitions, so that point is moot.

It wasn't clear the frontcourt weasn't going to work, sconsidering Bargs' best season was last season. He showed that he was developing. I'd like to know who you would have got in his place. remember, this isn't NBA live where you can just sign anyone.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Re:  

Post#51 » by dagger » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:03 pm

[quote="execoftheyear"][/quote]

Roy was acquired on a draft night trade from Boston. Draft night trades are rarely consummated until minutes before a pick because the team trading the pick usually wants to see if it is getting the best offer. I don't see how Portland could have guaranteed itself Roy at the start of the evening. They were certainly lucky that Danny Ainge made one of his worst deals, trading the pick for Telfair.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
ilikecb4
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Re:  

Post#52 » by ilikecb4 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Well i like Colangelo as a GM

I think his biggest mistake is drafting Bargniani

If we drafted LaMarcus Alridge (which i really wanted), he and Bosh would have been
great by now...

We still don't have a center who plays defence and blocks shots.

Sure Reggie Evans is decent, but he's hurt.

Jermaine Oneal was really solid but he was making way too much....
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Re:  

Post#53 » by Yosemite Dan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:anyone posting here overreact much?

Brian Colangelo has done a bad job. This really isn't debatable anymore. How is it overreacting to point that out?

Yep there's not really an argument there. A GM is judged by his record and you can put in all the ifs, ands and buts you want, but every season since his 1st season the team has become progressively worse with this season poised to continue the downward trend as the defense is the worst yet. All the while losing salary flexibility. No one can argue sanely that he has done a good job.
Evermore
Banned User

Re:  

Post#54 » by Evermore » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:29 pm

McFurious1 wrote:
Evermore wrote:

You know what's even more idiotic... when Raptors fans think they know what they're talking about.

Are you implying these were quality moves and I'm mistaken?
miruss2001
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Re:  

Post#55 » by miruss2001 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:39 pm

He's great at identifying talent and terrible at identifying character in terms of guys who are hungry.
canucks22
Junior

Re:  

Post#56 » by canucks22 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:20 pm

not really BC's fault, i dont get why anybody expects this team to get 50 wins.
"Wazz up!"
jrsmith
Banned User
And1: 18

Re:  

Post#57 » by jrsmith » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:25 pm

canucks22 wrote:not really BC's fault, i dont get why anybody expects this team to get 50 wins.

:lol:
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Re:  

Post#58 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:
PeterJ wrote:I am seriously questioning BC's "plan" now, if there is any.

He's a good GM, but has no vision for this team.

I hope that Bosh decides to leave, and then BC will have a chance to fix the core of the problem (being Bosh, Jose, Bargs as the "foundation").

He made a mistake signing Mitchell, then firing him, and hiring a rookie as a replacement without any sort of a coaching search.

He never had a real plan of success. I'm sure even he doesn't seriously believe this team can contend. All he does is create enough hype to sell tickets, which, I guess was the job he was hired for.

yessir

Colangelo is the Michael Jordan of pumping fans up in the summer. Which also leads to this massive disappointment year after year

He got lucky in Phoenix that the JO/Hedo esque acquisition he got in the summer exploded into an MVP candidate. Otherwise he'd have been a failure for turning Kidd into Marbury and then Marbury into draft picks and capspace. Sort of like how in 3 years he turned Charlie after a great rookie year and 2 1sts into capspace and Marcus Banks
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Re:  

Post#59 » by gerrit4 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:31 pm

Raptor/LakerFan wrote:i think he's made more bad moves than good moves, but for some reason i still have faith in him.
Some of the bad moves:
-trading TJ for Oneal
- Signing Fred Jones
- Signing Kapono
- Resigning Mitchell
- Hiring Triano?

I don't think drafting Bargnani was a bad move because that was a bad draft. Noone would have picked Roy with the top pick so we can't sit here now and blame BC for not picking him.

Trading Hibbert for O'neal was the bad trade, TJ sucks now so it's hard to say that it was that bad of trade. Fred Jones & Kapono were traded eventually and although they were definitely bad signings, atleast they're not hurting us now (unless you count Reggie's contract).
Evermore
Banned User

Re:  

Post#60 » by Evermore » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:47 pm

scruffz wrote:
Evermore wrote:
Some of the bad moves:
-trading TJ for Oneal
- Signing Fred Jones
- Signing Kapono
- Resigning Mitchell
- Hiring Triano?

Uhh....you know all star games are totally subjective right? I'm also guessing you didn't see Hedo's performance in last years playoffs.

trading for Rasho was a good move, because he was exactly what Colangelo wanted. A big body to take up space in the paint, plus he has NBA experience. He never killed the teams cap and prevented them from making other acquisitions, so that point is moot.

It wasn't clear the frontcourt weasn't going to work, sconsidering Bargs' best season was last season. He showed that he was developing. I'd like to know who you would have got in his place. remember, this isn't NBA live where you can just sign anyone.

The all-star referece was simply to point out Hedo has never been considered among the elite players in the league...nor will he be. Perhaps I should've pointed out his career averages of 12.5 points on 42% shooting

I don't care if he had a great few games during the playoffs last year...he's not worth his contract. (see Calvin Booth)

And you're saying because BC wanted Nesterovic...that makes it a good transaction?

What if BC wanted me to play for the Raps and signed me to a 21 million dollar deal over 3 years... Would that be a good move because I'm someone he wants on the roster?

Sometimes I want a Snickers bar...but I'm not going to overpay for one...because it's simply not worth it

And yes...

It was perfectly clear last season that a front-court of Bosh and Bargnani were going to be severly deficient defensively and on the glass...

Return to Toronto Raptors