ImageImageImageImageImage

Someone show BARGANI how to set a screen

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Rembokz
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Someone show BARGANI how to set a screen 

Post#21 » by Rembokz » Sat Jan 2, 2010 2:11 am

Amir is our best Screener
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,836

Post#22 » by Live Free » Sat Jan 2, 2010 2:15 am

A_wildstabatanything wrote:
mad-mo wrote:Only person on our team that sets good screens is Amir Johnson.

Most of which are borderline illegal (ala KG). The only difference is that Amir will get called on at least 2 of them per game.

How often do KG/Dwight etc get called for it? they have an identity for setting hard screens and even Triano was talkin about it last time we played Boston. It's a mans game. Getting called for an illegal hard screen isn't frowned upon compared to other calls
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#23 » by Indeed » Sat Jan 2, 2010 3:31 am

mad-mo wrote:
A_wildstabatanything wrote:
mad-mo wrote:Only person on our team that sets good screens is Amir Johnson.

Most of which are borderline illegal (ala KG). The only difference is that Amir will get called on at least 2 of them per game.

How often do KG/Dwight etc get called for it? they have an identity for setting hard screens and even Triano was talkin about it last time we played Boston. It's a mans game. Getting called for an illegal hard screen isn't frowned upon compared to other calls

Exactly, that's why I don't blame Bargnani and Bosh for those soft screens.
Those refs just won't give them a chance.

Anyways, the game plan isn't that bad, it confuses the opponent, and as our team practice more together, we should be better at that.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#24 » by Gold Chain » Sat Jan 2, 2010 3:34 am

Somebody teach the OP how to spell "Bargnani."

Get his name right if you are going to rip him.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,817

Post#25 » by junot111 » Sat Jan 2, 2010 3:34 am

Rembokz wrote:Amir is our best Screener

I agree. It's probably because he's the only one that isn't looking to score for himself while setting it. Honestly I've never heard of a play where the screener doesn't set a screen. I know you make a play where the screener is your scorer and you try to get him the ball after he rolls, but it's ridiculous that the player rolls before actually setting it. That's all I'm saying. To be a good pick and roll team you have to have balance. And I really don't think this team is as good at that as people think.

wateva
junot111
General Manager

Post#26 » by junot111 » Sat Jan 2, 2010 3:38 am

double c wrote:Somebody teach the OP how to spell "Bargnani."

When I was making the thread I had an urge to spell it as BARGANI because I just watched a video of a commentator pronouncing his name like that. So it was done on purpose which I tried to show by capitalizing all the letters

but I'm sorry.........
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#27 » by Rapcity_11 » Sat Jan 2, 2010 3:52 am

junot111 wrote:
Rembokz wrote:Amir is our best Screener

I agree. It's probably because he's the only one that isn't looking to score for himself while setting it. Honestly I've never heard of a play where the screener doesn't set a screen. I know you make a play where the screener is your scorer and you try to get him the ball after he rolls, but it's ridiculous that the player rolls before actually setting it. That's all I'm saying. To be a good pick and roll team you have to have balance. And I really don't think this team is as good at that as people think.

wateva

Dude it's called slipping the screen when you cut back to the basket or out to the 3 point line because the defending big is over playing the screen. It's really effective as long as you don't try it too much.

To address Bosh/Bargnani picks, I rarely see either of them set a good hard pick resulting in a real good seal of the defender. But overall Bosh is ok at screens, Bargnani could use some work especially holding the screen and not just drifting to the 3 point line.
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#28 » by barrist » Sat Jan 2, 2010 3:55 am

junot111 wrote:

When I was making the thread I had an urge to spell it as BARGANI because I just watched a video of a commentator pronouncing his name like that. So it was done on purpose which I tried to show by capitalizing all the letters

but I'm sorry.........

Nice cover-up.
BranGor
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#29 » by BranGor » Sat Jan 2, 2010 3:58 am

To set a good screen you either have to come strong (ie. Perkins, Howard) or be crafty and experienced (ie. get away with using your hands, know what the refs will swallow their whistles on. Kurt Thomas and the Spurs use to do that **** all the time). Our front line can do neither.
Sifu
Veteran
And1: 1,005

Post#30 » by Sifu » Sat Jan 2, 2010 4:17 am

Bosh and Bargs need to wear those Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome spiked shoulderpads. Now, that's a hard screen.
junot111
General Manager

Post#31 » by junot111 » Sat Jan 2, 2010 5:26 am

barrist wrote:
junot111 wrote:

but I'm sorry.........

Nice cover-up.

it's true... look at my previous posts if you care, I've never spelled a player's name wrong.

and the slipping thing I can get... but what good does it do if no attempt is made at all to set it? I guess it's hard to explain but whatever the point is I don't like it. I mean it would be okay if it wasn't done 99% of the time
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#32 » by Rapcity_11 » Sat Jan 2, 2010 5:33 am

junot111 wrote:it's true... look at my previous posts if you care, I've never spelled a player's name wrong.

and the slipping thing I can get... but what good does it do if no attempt is made at all to set it? I guess it's hard to explain but whatever the point is I don't like it. I mean it would be okay if it wasn't done 99% of the time

Obviously you don't get it...

Like I said before, slipping the screen is a good idea when the player defending the screen setter over anticipates the pick and can be caught out of position by the screen setter quickly cutting to the basket before actually setting the pick. Basically it catches them off guard because they were setting up to switch, trap or hedge on the pick and roll but the pick never actually occurs. That's why it's a good play even though no pick is set, kind of like the ball handler going to the opposite side of the pick. It's always a good idea to try and mix things up to keep the defense honest. Explain to me why you don't like that idea???

And it's not done 99% of the time, get a grip.
fabste
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#33 » by fabste » Sat Jan 2, 2010 2:53 pm

Amir: Pick and roll
Bosh: pick and fade
Bargnani: pick and pop/pick and slip

Amir HAS to set a true strong screen to have a chance to score, Bargs and Bosh no

Simple as that
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#34 » by dagger » Sat Jan 2, 2010 3:05 pm

CenturySam wrote:i love the move he made to avoid the travel at 1.41 of the video

and yes the op is confusing the slip with the pick. in my opinion bargs has been setting some very solid screens lately so i have no idea where this thread came from.

If you want to complain, complain about Amir Johnson's screens because he gets whistled for more illegal screens than any Raptor. And given the number of minutes he plays, his illegal screen rate must be among the worst in the league.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#35 » by rdtx2005 » Sat Jan 2, 2010 4:01 pm

Someone show the OP how to spell Bargnani correctly

Return to Toronto Raptors