ImageImageImageImageImage

John Hollinger chat (Raptors notes)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Re: John Hollinger chat (Raptors notes) 

Post#21 » by HEKTOR » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:05 pm

I don't see us getting Martin for Calderon. Would suck to give up DeRozan for him too.

If Bosh wants out though, do any of you think there is any chance of this deal going through?

To Toronto: Martin, Thompson, Thomas, Rodriguez
To Sacramento: Bosh, Banks, Wright, O'Bryant
Greg Stink
Starter
And1: 13

Post#22 » by Greg Stink » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 pm

Hinrich is playing poorly?

This clown is just guessing at this point. Hinrich has looked great lately, he's playing as well as he ever has. Hollinger is just not a credible basketball analyst.
bena2005
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#23 » by bena2005 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:07 pm

biggety bort wrote:Hinrich is playing poorly?

This clown is just guessing at this point. Hinrich has looked great lately, he's playing as well as he ever has. Hollinger is just not a credible basketball analyst.

hinrich sucks bro.. hes nothing close to calderon
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,490

Post#24 » by Mattd97 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:09 pm

you guys realize your making even more bosh trades than the media now right? and no way you include DD in a deal for a guy who will play 50 games a year. If you can get him for a backup pg fine, its worth the risk, but you dont trade your only real prospect.

but id love me some of that battier trade, he can be a spot up shooter, hes smart, gritty, rebounds can be our lock down defender. would be perfect. obviously id rather just trade him for hedo straight up so he can play the end of games and get hedos minutes -- if gives us exactly what we want and dont get from hedo.
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#25 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 pm

To me Calderon out and Battier in makes us a much stronger team than Calderon out and Martin in . We don't need Martin at all, as good as he is, offensively he'll just take shots away from everyone else (we'll have JO-era ball movement once again) and defensively he's as bad as Jose.

Now, a defensive stopper with A-plus leadership who can hit the 3 ball? To me that's almost a guarantee we make the 2nd round, keep Bosh, etc.

Anyways, I think both are pipe dreams, but you never know.
HEKTOR
Veteran

Post#26 » by HEKTOR » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:19 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:To me Calderon out and Battier in makes us a much stronger team than Calderon out and Martin in . We don't need Martin at all, as good as he is, offensively he'll just take shots away from everyone else (we'll have JO-era ball movement once again) and defensively he's as bad as Jose.

Now, a defensive stopper with A-plus leadership who can hit the 3 ball? To me that's almost a guarantee we make the 2nd round, keep Bosh, etc.

Anyways, I think both are pipe dreams, but you never know.

You make a good point about Battier. He would be a great addition, especially in a deal for Jose.
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#27 » by Pchu » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Ogopogo wrote:If we could get Martin without giving up DeMar, and add Belinelli to the deal, I say why not? With the current roster the Raps got no chance to make it in the second round. Maybe adding another deadly weapon on offense is enough to do the magic in the playoffs...

But the main concern is Colangelo. IMO he's not thinking on a significant trade, what includes Calderon. Five weeks and everything will be clear. Till then? :pray:

I don't get the please don't trade DeMar thing.

I like DeRozan, I like his attitude and he has exceed my low expectation as a rookie. Having said that, there is very little chance that DeRozan will eventually be as good as Martin as a player. Martin is a legit 25 point per game scorer who can get to the line 7-8 times per while shooting 40% from downtown.

How many players can do that?
223red
Rookie

Post#28 » by 223red » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:27 pm

Pchu wrote:
I don't get the please don't trade DeMar thing.

I like DeRozan, I like his attitude and he has exceed my low expectation as a rookie. Having said that, there is very little chance that DeRozan will eventually be as good as Martin as a player. Martin is a legit 25 point per game scorer who can get to the line 7-8 times per while shooting 40% from downtown.

I agree. Also, I'm pretty high on Amir Johnson if he could be resigned to a reasonable contract - he's basically just as young, is already an ideal 3rd big and still has upside. And don't forget Bellinelli is going to be the most improved player / 6th man of the year.
HEKTOR
Veteran

Post#29 » by HEKTOR » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Would Houston give up Battier for Calderon though? I'm guessing they wouldn't.

The Calderon-Battier-Morrison trade also doesn't work on the trade-checker.

What about this deal with Houston?

To Toronto: Battier, Anderson, Lowry
To Houston: Calderon, Wright, O'Bryant
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Post#30 » by MEDIC » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:33 pm

No way I trade DeRozan. ESPECIALLY if we don't have Bosh signed to a long term contract or are considering tradnig him.

Trading a prospect with legit potential only makes sense if you are in a position to compete for the ship & you need a little extra to get you over the hump. In our position, it absolutely makes no sense to trade him.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Rembokz
Banned User

Post#31 » by Rembokz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:35 pm

I like the Battier trade
Aristotle
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#32 » by Aristotle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:38 pm

I think a lot hinges on what you do with Bosh. If he's gone then ya you bring in a guy who is capable of dropping 20+ a night like kmartin fot calde. However, if you are convinced bosh is staying then you have to move Calde for a guy in the mold of battier, who doesnt command the ball. Overall tho this team is mediocre and as presently comprised is a repetitive first round loser :(
Also i dont get how Derozen could possibly be a deal breaker. He's a nice player and seems like a great kid but he's a less athletic Weems and hopefully will pan out as a glue guy in the mold of Caron Butler...hopefully as I think thats his ceiling.
Dwane Casey: "Bargnani is our guy, we've got to go with him come hell or high water."
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Post#33 » by MEDIC » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Pchu wrote:I don't get the please don't trade DeMar thing.

I'd rather have a guy that gets you 15ppg, plays defence & plays the whole season. (Like Battier)

Trading the future for a guy that plays only 60% of the games played each year? Martin is only 25 years old & has constant injury problems. What is he going to be like 2-3 years from now? His career might mirror Allan Houston. Rotting on the bench for years.

I don't see how getting Kevin Martin would be attractive to any team except for a true contender (who only needs him to be healthy for the playoffs). He's not the answer to our team.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
RandomRaptorfan
Veteran
And1: 2,404

Post#34 » by RandomRaptorfan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:53 pm

I really like the Battier trade but I don't see it happening :(
Mattd97
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Mattd97 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:55 pm

HEKTOR wrote:Would Houston give up Battier for Calderon though? I'm guessing they wouldn't.

The Calderon-Battier-Morrison trade also doesn't work on the trade-checker.

What about this deal with Houston?

To Toronto: Battier, Anderson, Lowry
To Houston: Calderon, Wright, O'Bryant

i dont think houston wants calderon, they want cap space, thats why they were getting ammo.
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#36 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:05 pm

If Bosh is on the way out, I'm definitely on board with Bosh for Bynum

Most titles are won with a player like Bynum
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#37 » by ontnut » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:12 pm

MEDIC wrote:
I'd rather have a guy that gets you 15ppg, plays defence & plays the whole season. (Like Battier)

COME AGAIN??!?!?!??? Battier....15ppg???? Since when? He's never averaged that once. Not once. His career averages are 10ppg, 4.5 reb, 2 asts, 1 stl, 1 blk, 1 three, on .450 fg and .750 ft. Pretty much his production every year in the league actually. His playoff numbers are slightly lower as well.

The most you could say about Battier is he'd be the glue guy we were missing who could defend most star SG/SF's. Basically Garbajosa with a better D.

Compared to what Martin is, a pure scorer who can hit the long ball consistently and can also get to the line but plays as much defense as Calderon, you'd really have to choose based on what the team needs because they are two completely separate (almost opposite) players. Taken from a solely objective talent based perspective, you'd have to go for Martin because the skills he brings aren't really teachable, whereas learning systems, court positioning and all that can be taught a bit through video, practice and studying systems. For this team, as constructed, Battier seems the better fit because we're lacking what he brings in terms of size, intensity and defense...but if Bosh is gone or is traded, Martin is your better bet to put butts in the seat and give us a chance to win through outscoring teams (which we'd have to do given that our best defender, which is sad in and of itself, is gone)
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#38 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:13 pm

if we want Battier

Amir Johnson
Antonie Wright

for

Shane Battier

Both expiring, gives them more room for a max player, Evans takes Amir minutes and we get a defensive stopper, can be backup SF and starting SG.
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
night_day
Pro Prospect
And1: 93

Post#39 » by night_day » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:15 pm

I seriously doubt Houston is moving Battier unless they are getting something spectacular. Just read that Battier article from last year by Michael Lewis and you understand how high Morey is on Battier. Just expirings won't be enough for him to move someone as valuable (in their eyes) as Battier
Mattd97
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Mattd97 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:24 pm

why does everyone want to move amir johnson? kid comes in, shows some talent, some heart, some energy, some potential... well we might as well trade him! this is like the leafs trading all their young guys every year for dmitri khristich, leetch, etc etc etc
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47

Return to Toronto Raptors