ImageImageImageImageImage

Go for broke at the trade deadline?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Re: Go for broke at the trade deadline? 

Post#121 » by Reignman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:47 pm

dacrusha wrote:
Reignman wrote:
Pchu wrote:You only go for broke if the following scenarios apply:

1) Is there a player that would make this team into a contender available at the trade deadline?
2) Do we have the pieces to make the move to get that player?

1) is obviously the most important question. Neither Caron Butler nor Kevin Martin would make this team a contender IMO.

We might not be a title "contender" but we'd move from "1st round fodder" to "playoff threat". That in itself would be a huge step for this team and would help considerably with the development of our players.

No we don't.

Adding Butler still means that Boston will sweep us, Atlanta will sweep us, Orlando will lose one game max and Cleveland will sweep us.

Laughable, and I'm pretty sure most would agree that we wouldn't get swept by any of those teams if we rolled out a lineup of Jack/Butler/Hedo/Bosh/Bargs. We might even be able to upset one or two of them depending on matchups.

Our perimeter D would be above average considering nobody is a liability and our front court has the ability to dominate most front courts.

Right now, people are saying Charlotte is the lower seed to look out for, you add Butler and I guarantee you that we'd be a part of that conversation as well. Everyone looks at our team as this no-defense/jumphooting/soft team (which we haven't been for a while) but then you add some defense / toughness in Butler and the perception starts to change if it already hasn't.
TORapFan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#122 » by TORapFan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 pm

i agree with you 100% but one has to wonder if those rumors are even true

mods locked them and i havent seen anything since. One guy said he would clarify his source but nothing has been said by the mods so who knows if thats even available to us.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,559

Post#123 » by s e n s i » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Butler is like a Corey Maggette with slightly better ball skills and slightly poorer shot selection. Really not sure if he's the difference between an upset and a sweep against. Not that interested.

Reignman's campaigning hard to get Jose outta here, eh?
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Reignman
Banned User

Post#124 » by Reignman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:21 pm

[quote="chocolateSensi"]Butler is like a Corey Maggette with slightly better ball skills and slightly poorer shot selection. Really not sure if he's the difference between an upset and a sweep against. Not that interested.

Reignman's campaigning hard to get Jose outta here, eh?[/quote]

Those days are behind us, I like what Jose is doing off the bench. I'm just a huge Butler fan and I want us to do well in the playoffs and I see a hole at SG. Not because DD sucks, I think he has been great for a rook; however, he's gonna get schooled in the playoffs because it's his first time there and because he'll be facing stars who will get all the calls.

I really believe we have chance to make some noise and want to capitalize on it. Butler is the perfect fit (outside of his shot selection this season) and on a short contract.

Also, it's not about getting rid of Jose because I wouldn't trade him for Rip as an example.
Wasp
Sixth Man
And1: 1,199

Post#125 » by Wasp » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:26 pm

Although I am in favour of the Butler / Calderon trade, I just wanna remind people that the ECF Champions last year had a rookie starting at SG. I know the Magic are/were a better team than we are, but clearly having a rookie SG as a starter didn't seem to affect them much.

If we can't swing a deal for Calderon that looks REALLY good for us, just keep the team intact. We need DD to develop if we want to ever be contenders and having him be a starter in the playoffs will help speed up that development. Unless we can find a lights-out replacement for DD, just keep the damn team as is.
elitehunter99
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#126 » by elitehunter99 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Wasp wrote:Although I am in favour of the Butler / Calderon trade, I just wanna remind people that the ECF Champions last year had a rookie starting at SG. I know the Magic are/were a better team than we are, but clearly having a rookie SG as a starter didn't seem to affect them much.

Boston 2009/2010 >> Boston 2008/2009 (Rasheed/KG (might play in the playoffs)/Rondo improved)
Orlando 2009/2010 > Orlando 2008/2009 (Barnes/Reddick improved/Ryan Anderson/VC/Jason Williams)
Cleveland 2009/2010 >> Cleveland 2008/2009 (Shaq/AP/Hickson)
Atlanta 2009/2010 >>>> Atlanta 2008/2009 (Crawford/Joe Smith/Smith improved/Horford improved)

If Toronto wants to beat any of those teams more than once in the playoffs, they need a massive upgrade at the 2... Butler is not gonna cut it, neither is Kevin Martin
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,681

Post#127 » by kingr » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 pm

A lot of mans are hating on Butler... Wow I'd do butler for calderon without hesitation...and I like Hose. If there's one guy who I think would not back down to the challenge of guarding lebron, paul pierce, joe johnson etc... It's Caron Butler.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#128 » by dacrusha » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:27 pm

Reignman wrote:
dacrusha wrote:
No we don't.

Adding Butler still means that Boston will sweep us, Atlanta will sweep us, Orlando will lose one game max and Cleveland will sweep us.

Laughable, and I'm pretty sure most would agree that we wouldn't get swept by any of those teams if we rolled out a lineup of Jack/Butler/Hedo/Bosh/Bargs. We might even be able to upset one or two of them depending on matchups.

Our perimeter D would be above average considering nobody is a liability and our front court has the ability to dominate most front courts.

Right now, people are saying Charlotte is the lower seed to look out for, you add Butler and I guarantee you that we'd be a part of that conversation as well. Everyone looks at our team as this no-defense/jumphooting/soft team (which we haven't been for a while) but then you add some defense / toughness in Butler and the perception starts to change if it already hasn't.

Caron is such a difference maker, he helped guide the Wiz to all of 19 wins last year: his 'career' year at that!

In fact, in his five years with the Wiz, he has never helped them get out of the first round (that's a roster with three all-stars)... and get this: they got to the Eastern Conference semis the year before he arrived and acquired him to get them over the top. Seems like that didn't quite work out.

And now you want us to fall into the same trap of mediocrity.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Reignman
Banned User

Post#129 » by Reignman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:33 pm

dacrusha wrote:
Reignman wrote:
dacrusha wrote:
No we don't.

Caron is such a difference maker, he helped guide the Wiz to all of 19 wins last year: his 'career' year at that!

In fact, in his five years with the Wiz, he has never helped them get out of the first round (that's a roster with three all-stars)... and get this: they got to the Eastern Conference semis the year before he arrived and acquired him to get them over the top. Seems like that didn't quite work out.

So the two situations are exactly alike right? I'm also assuming you've never heard of players that went from one team to another and helped them win? And since we're doing that we'll just ignore the fact that Butler has certain skills that this team could use. I can give you countless examples of players that haven't won on one team and then going to another team and helping them win. Jamal Crawford is the first one that comes to mind.

I could go on with the examples but you know just as well as I that you were making a strawman.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#130 » by timdunkit » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:04 pm

dacrusha wrote:

Thats terrible logic considering the Wizards had there franchise players faack up his knees ... No offense but what has Jose done for the Raptors? 2 First round exists with a full roster with its franchise player playing atleast 65 games every season ... Damm Jose couldn't even stat pad when he got the starting gig last year ... but atleast, Butler was an all-star ...

Man, arguing on terrible logic is so much fun :D
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#131 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:09 pm

I think we should get a backup SF.

My choice is actually Vladimir Radmanovic. Here's what he brings

- Top 5 in offensive rebounding % for SFs
- Solid defence
- Spot up 3 point shooting

That's EXACTLY what we need. Only problem is he's expensive obviously. It would be perfect if we can get him for Banks and Wright + 3 mil, but I expect it'll take Wright/Rasho/POB which will cost us next year
223red
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#132 » by 223red » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:52 pm

Bellinelli, O'Bryant and a 2nd rounder for Posey. Book it.

Return to Toronto Raptors