ImageImageImageImageImage

Triano: I thought the effort was good

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

kedineking
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Triano: I thought the effort was good 

Post#101 » by kedineking » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:15 am

smitch is looking good right about now at least when we arnt playing good he always told the team
albedo
Junior
And1: 0

Post#102 » by albedo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:28 am

Listen beyond the first line and you'll hear 'bigger, faster, stronger.'

At what roster spot is this not true? The game was ugly, but who actually expected anything else?

Do you realize who Boozer had 10 points on in 8 minutes to open the game? Did you see the way Jose was broken down for DWill's 6/6 in the same period? Effort can beat talent sometimes, but effort + talent will beat effort every time. Utah has been a better team for years now, and a coaching change alone will not change that.

Everyone's giving it their all, nobody wants to be embarrassed like that. Is it scarier that this is a full effort?

It's like nobody here realizes how good Utah is and what it means to be beat by them.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,350

Post#103 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:52 am

For all that Sam wasn't as a coach, at least he would never appease his players and say things like this. We've embraced a losing culture and that starts at the top.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#104 » by J Dilla » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:19 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:For all that Sam wasn't as a coach, at least he would never appease his players and say things like this. We've embraced a losing culture and that starts at the top.

Buh buh but he mind raped Bargnani and was extremely rude to the media!
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#105 » by J-Roc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:24 am

But the Raps are all humans. They knew they weren't going to win, so why should they try.
FirstInkTDot
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,902

Post#106 » by FirstInkTDot » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 am

Your kidding right?
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,778

Post#107 » by nestea » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:25 pm

do u thk the raps will pay three coaches? 2 fired and a newbie?
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#108 » by Spragga » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:28 pm

Triano has a sick sense of humor. This is not the 1st time he's said he liked the effort in a team blowout. He's got to be kidding around. Silly Jay
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,802

Post#109 » by James_Raptors » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm getting really tired of having soft players and a goodie-two-shoes, kind hearted, good spirited , happy-go-lucky, all smiles, coach. Any player on our roster who expects Toronto to be a country club can pack their made-of-glass feelings in their suitcase, as they ride their pony out of town.

The time has come to hire a defensive-minded hard nosed take-no-prisoners veteran coach who has the respect of the players and the balls to force them to man-up and play like adults. The time for babysitting the emotional toddlers at courtside is over.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#110 » by HiJiNX » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:02 pm

albedo wrote:Listen beyond the first line and you'll hear 'bigger, faster, stronger.'

At what roster spot is this not true? The game was ugly, but who actually expected anything else?

Do you realize who Boozer had 10 points on in 8 minutes to open the game? Did you see the way Jose was broken down for DWill's 6/6 in the same period? Effort can beat talent sometimes, but effort + talent will beat effort every time. Utah has been a better team for years now, and a coaching change alone will not change that.

Everyone's giving it their all, nobody wants to be embarrassed like that. Is it scarier that this is a full effort?

It's like nobody here realizes how good Utah is and what it means to be beat by them.

The "bigger, faster, stronger" statement is even worse! All that does is give your team an excuse for their sucktitude. It also instills a defeatist attitude that they can't beat teams that are better than them on paper or in the win/loss column, because after all, they're probably bigger, faster, and stronger as well. Well you know what? We've beat bigger stronger and faster this year. We did it recently against Atlanta. We did it against Cleveland, and we did it against the Lakers. That is not a sufficient excuse to come out like we did last night and get smashed AT HOME during a stretch where we're fighting for the playoffs, fighting to keep the best player we've ever had, and when Jay Triano is probably fighting for his job. That is a horrible attitude to have, and shows no confidence in your team whatsoever. And how does a team respond to a leader who has no confidence in them? They don't listen, they lose respect, and above all they don't try! And it seems like that's what we've been seeing for awhile now.

Yes I'm **** mad.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
narmsanity
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#111 » by narmsanity » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:05 pm

albedo wrote:Listen beyond the first line and you'll hear 'bigger, faster, stronger.'

Utah IS bigger and faster and stronger but you can NOT get blown out by 30 at home during a crucial part of the season... if they fought hard and came up with a decent effort id be less pissed... even the Utah announcers during the game said they expected more from the Raptors who are supposed to be battling for a playoff spot and Leo and Sherm both commented on how they disagree with Triano wasnt there.... they didnt fight through screens they didnt come up with loose balls and make the hussle plays and thats why they got their asses kicked.. Bosh said after the game that it doesnt matter what the opposing teams record is you have to take the "So what?" mentality.. if you play with the "theyre better than us" mentality before the game even starts youre not gonna win against the top teams in the league... period

Utah is one of the best teams in the league but clearly the effort was not there from start to finish..
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,118

Post#112 » by C Court » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:25 pm

You know the "bigger, faster, stronger" statement is plain stupid, when even Doug Smith (the #1 Raptor apologist now that Swirsky has left) questions Jay's assertion:

I will take umbrage with one point Jay made about them a couple of times in his post-game session when he twice said:

“They’re bigger, they’re faster, they’re stronger.” I don’t think they are, actually.

They are not overly big, they are not overly athletic and, yes, they may by strong but it’s not a roster dotted with a bunch of Hercules clones

What they are is tougher

Way, way, way, way, way tougher.

They know what they want to do and they do it. They played every possession like it mattered, they competed every minute of the game at both ends of the court.

They were the anti-Raptors.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#113 » by J-Roc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Methnks if we had Mehmet Okur as our starting C, we'd be obliterated at that position every defensive possession. Sloan is able to coach around things like that.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#114 » by whysoserious » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:01 pm

I heard this quote from JT this morning on Post-Up and almost fell off the sofa. WTF? There is no way our effort was anywhere near good and they should have all been embarassed. Too many times does the organization sugar-coat what's actually going on, say it like it is. They were bad, their effort was bad and nobody played the game the right way.

I'm getting tired of all things positive from Jay Triano. He may be saying it in the locker room but clearly no one is listening, start making it public too. Call guys out. You need to have that and if a guy is going to take it personal - too bad.
Stretch82
Veteran
And1: 5

Post#115 » by Stretch82 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_N1OjGhIFc

Sign him BC!

Triano should have said something like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL7yAO61xbk[/youtube]
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#116 » by whoknows » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:34 pm

the only reason that BC signed JT was to please CB4 - he has been for years CB4's personal coach trainer. As you know, the people that are alike go well together and become friends.

i am tired of this team trying so hard to please the star player (VC, CB4) especially when he is a soft "leader".
I hated Triano signing not only because he has no track of winning, but also because it confirmed to me that the CB4 is the man to build around, no matter what.

BC should grow a pair and cut the umbilical cord to all soft players/coaches associated with this team - including JT, CB4, Hedo, JC, etc.
Mad Prophet
Veteran
And1: 725

Post#117 » by Mad Prophet » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:50 pm

This is why you never promote an assistant to a head coach. He's been a friend to these players for a long time. You need an outsider who's not afraid to crack the whip.
MoPeteRules
Pro Prospect
And1: 54

Post#118 » by MoPeteRules » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:01 pm

I think that Jay Triano is probably the nicest and most positive coach of all time. This works against him because he's less able to motivate his players than other coaches. Not being able to motivate his players might work if Triano had great Xs and Os, but he doesn't. So instead we are left with an incompetent nice guy who can't motivate his players.
Although Sam was incompetent, he could motivate his players, so he always had a decent team. You can't say the same for Triano.
Spragga - The greatest trick the Raptors ever pulled was convincing the world that Defense doesn't exist.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#119 » by zilby » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:08 pm

One of the best assistant coaches out there.

One of the worst head coaches out there.

I can't believe the bald **** said it. He should have never gotten the gig, and he lacks all intensity.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Mikestro
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#120 » by Mikestro » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:12 pm

To everyone putting the blame on Triano: has it ever occurred to any of you that our roster simply is NOT good enough to compete consistently with the better teams in the league? You can preach and coach all you want but when you have the core of your roster made up of Bosh, Bargnani, Hedo, and Calderon...you honestly cannot expect them to win consistently. Unfortunately basketball consists of not only offence, but defence...If anyone is to blame, it is Colangelo. Don't get me wrong, I am not a BC-hater and I actually have supported him since he's been here. However, I think it is time that he modifies his vision of a 'winning' team.

Return to Toronto Raptors