ImageImageImageImageImage

The path to securing a true big?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

If you're BC, what is the best path to take to obtain a 5?

via Draft (Invest in your scouting and find it through the draft)
50%
via Free agency or Trade (and likely pay a little more than the market for one)
50%
via Coaching change (It's not the player, it's the system)
No votes
via A combination of the above
No votes
the 5 spot is not the key problem
No votes

Total votes: 6

Lawnmower Man
Banned User
And1: 20

The path to securing a true big? 

Post#1 » by Lawnmower Man » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:27 pm

Considering where we are right now, many would agree that a true 5 would solve the majority of our problems.

Yet, teams such as Memphis and Milwaukee (both of whom have true defensive anchors) and Dallas (a team that has a centre "on paper") have brought about some interesting questions on "what" and "how" a team acquires this anchor on defense.

- Is it truly the player who plays the five that matters? If so, how does a team like the Raps acquire one when you consider the position that they are in?

- Is it the system that a team plays in the real reason for defense in the paint? Or is a coach limited to the players he has playing the 5 spot?

- Is it really even the 5 spot that is our no.1 issue? Does perimeter defense outweigh this problem?

A lot of different questions, a lot of team examples in the NBA today that provide partial answers to these questions, and one GM that has to sift through everything and decypher our true problem.

If you're BC, What is the path to take to secure yourself a true big to play the 5 spot?

Please do not post in purple.
Stun704
Lead Assistant
And1: 226

Re: The path to securing a true big? 

Post#2 » by Stun704 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Don't draft soft euros as your center
Pimpwerx wrote:I was a fan of the Lakers...Yankees... It took me almost a decade to become a fan of the Miami teams...I know it's frowned upon, but if you can look at it as an outsider, it's easier to understand why it happens. PEACE.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#3 » by dagger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:36 pm

Lawnmower Man wrote:Considering where we are right now, many would agree that a true 5 would solve the majority of our problems.

Yet, teams such as Memphis and Milwaukee (both of whom have true defensive anchors) and Dallas (a team that has a centre "on paper") have brought about some interesting questions on "what" and "how" a team acquires this anchor on defense.

- Is it truly the player who plays the five that matters? If so, how does a team like the Raps acquire one when you consider the position that they are in?

- Is it the system that a team plays in the real reason for defense in the paint? Or is a coach limited to the players he has playing the 5 spot?

- Is it really even the 5 spot that is our no.1 issue? Does perimeter defense outweigh this problem?

A lot of different questions, a lot of team examples in the NBA today that provide partial answers to these questions, and one GM that has to sift through everything and decypher our true problem.

If you're BC, What is the path to take to secure yourself a true big to play the 5 spot?

Yes, a true five - any names? - would have been out on the perimetre stopping Deron Williams last night and chucking 0-4 from beyond the arc in the first half of the first quarter.

Really man, there is no way resolving just one issue solves "most of our problems".
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#4 » by StopitLeo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:37 pm

Our number one issue is a top-flight wing player. You simply cannot contend without one.

Next we need a defensive/rebounding/shot blocking focussed centre who can play good help defense. Amir is okay but he'll get pushed around by bigger guys. That's why you need a Rasho. I'm really not so concerned with our current 5 spot situation. My bigger issue is that BC thinks you can win with Bargs there. Never going to happen.
alpha
Starter
And1: 179

Post#5 » by alpha » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Stun704 wrote:Don't draft soft euros as your center

Funny how the finger keeps getting pointed at Bargs.. What about the time Bargs was on the bench..did any of our hardened Americans step up to the challenge of "the open runway" created by Jose and Jack
Boshs help D was also poor but he's a tough American so it doen't count
Fact is we could have Shaq in the middle and with the amount of penetration opposing guards get against us.... all Shaq would do is foul out eventually.

Take your anti- Euro biased brain for a walk
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#6 » by dillio » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:44 pm

alpha wrote:

Funny how the finger keeps getting pointed at Bargs.. What about the time Bargs was on the bench..did any of our hardened Americans step up to the challenge of "the open runway" created by Jose and Jack
Fact is we could have Shaq in the middle and with the amount of penetration opposing guards get against us.... all Shaq would do is foul out eventually.

Your premise is flawed in that you're implying that we have a "hardened American" centre on the team. Our only two centres (and I use the term liberally) are Bargs and Rasho.
alpha
Starter
And1: 179

Post#7 » by alpha » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:00 pm

dillio wrote:
alpha wrote:

Your premise is flawed in that you're implying that we have a "hardened American" centre on the team. Our only two centres (and I use the term liberally) are Bargs and Rasho.

While your statment is correct ..that doesn't give Bosh an out as he is often covering the opposing centre when Bargs is out.
And does he stop the penetration????
Vandal Savage
Suspended
And1: 1,123

Post#8 » by Vandal Savage » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:01 pm

Should probably just trade the only trade asset you have and the biggest expiring you have for an aging, past his prime center. While you are at it, throw in a first rounder.
Throwback24 wrote:I want to see Andrea Bargnani naked
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#9 » by Too Late Crew » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Lawnmower Man wrote:

If you're BC, What is the path to take to secure yourself a true big to play the 5 spot?[/color]
If I'm BC I don't take any path. My vision is that you simply don't need a true big playing the 5. I'm playing a mobile 3 point shooting 7 footer at the 5. I don't NEED a guy standing under the basket. I belive I can win without a true big.

BC simply does not belive he needs a true 5. He's comitted to Bargs.

If Bosh stays then he will get close to 40 MPG at the 4 so I need to play Bargs 35 minutes at the 5. In BCs vision therte simply sin't room for more than 10MPG for a true 5. Why get one if he's not going to see the floor.

Now if Bosh is leaving and I can shift Bargs to the 4 to get his 35 to 40 mpg then we need to look at getting a 5.

Return to Toronto Raptors