The Official 2023-2024 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,589

Re: The Official 2023-2024 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#141 » by babyjax13 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:48 am

Love the Josh Cristopher signing, I think he has real talent.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#142 » by babyjax13 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:50 am

Oh, I also really like Mike Devoe on the exhibit 10!

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,492

Post#143 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:01 pm

I don't know much about any of them. Do they have a shot at being significant contributors?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,362

Post#144 » by Catchall » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:54 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I don't know much about any of them. Do they have a shot at being significant contributors?

Josh Christopher is rotational, I think, if he improves his shooting. He's a 1st-round talent. I wouldn't expect him to be a significant contributor though. I don't know Devoe.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#145 » by babyjax13 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:17 pm

Devoe was pretty fantastic defensively in college. No idea if he has a shot of making the roster, probably not.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,032

Post#146 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:26 pm

Am I the only one concerned that Markk is a Robin and we still need our Batman?

Now, I think Markkanen is great, who doesn't love a 7ft player who can shoot 3s and is agile? However, I have been paying attention to him, and he just doesn't seem capable of self-creation. Case in point against the Blazers, he had 6'3" Simons on the block (with a Blazer big behind him) and instead of taking it to him by going to the rim or making a move and shooting over him, Markk passed the ball out to the perimeter after failing to back him down. I don't think he has the handle to create from the perimeter either. He does what he does well, and is the best player on the team, but without Clarkson, this team would be in big trouble.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#147 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:22 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Am I the only one concerned that Markk is a Robin and we still need our Batman?

Now, I think Markkanen is great, who doesn't love a 7ft player who can shoot 3s and is agile? However, I have been paying attention to him, and he just doesn't seem capable of self-creation. Case in point against the Blazers, he had 6'3" Simons on the block (with a Blazer big behind him) and instead of taking it to him by going to the rim or making a move and shooting over him, Markk passed the ball out to the perimeter after failing to back him down. I don't think he has the handle to create from the perimeter either. He does what he does well, and is the best player on the team, but without Clarkson, this team would be in big trouble.

Yep, that is correct. We still don't have that #1 guy which is the problem with not bottoming out. Hopefully Ainge will be able to pull off a trade and use some of the Jazz's expiring contracts, cap space (at the end of the season), existing talent, and picks to land a #1 guy, or at least another #2 guy in a position of need.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#148 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:57 pm

Am I the only one who still cares about how lame our jersey are? Weren't they going to change them?

mg
General Manager
And1: 4,090

Post#149 » by mg » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:22 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Am I the only one concerned that Markk is a Robin and we still need our Batman?

Yep, that is correct. We still don't have that #1 guy which is the problem with not bottoming out. Hopefully Ainge will be able to pull off a trade and use some of the Jazz's expiring contracts, cap space (at the end of the season), existing talent, and picks to land a #1 guy, or at least another #2 guy in a position of need.

Agreed I've heard alot of concerns about this coming season (Collins might not fit next to Kessler, too many combo guards and no pure PG, lack of 2 way big 6'-8" development wings on the roster, etc, etc). All valid concerns for this coming season but Ainge is looking big picture which means 2025 and out. They have Markkanen right now in his prime for 2 more seasons on a value contract and then he's getting paid. Lauri is great and a potential top 20ish type guy but his lack of playmaking will likely keep him from entering the top 10 Doncic/Jokic tier. Jazz will eventually need to make a trade or draft a #1. Teams such as the Spurs and Blazers might be worse this coming season but they both just drafted potential franchise players. Jazz right now don't have a FRP in '24. Maybe they get lucky with one of the picks and draft a potential superstar in '25 but Lauri will be 28 by that point.

Bottomline I think the Jazz are in a good spot after the big trades last year. This coming season should be fun. Ainge will likely need to pounce at some point to land a big fish top 10 type player with his warchest of picks and talent on the roster.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 557

Post#150 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:21 pm

wasn't last year a very deep draft and jazz got 9th pick and landed T Hens? could he become Batman in a year or two? I think we're going to struggle getting wins this year but will play our butts off trying to get wins. 30 to 35 wins.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,764

Post#151 » by AingesBurner » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:09 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Am I the only one who still cares about how lame our jersey are? Weren't they going to change them?

They can’t because of their agreement with Nike. Next summer I think they can.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#152 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:08 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Am I the only one who still cares about how lame our jersey are? Weren't they going to change them?

Can't they have the Nike logo on a jersey with a different design?

TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 434

Post#153 » by TNJazz » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:08 pm

AingesBurner wrote:

Boooooo! to that, I wish they would reincorporate the Southwest black orange yellow red combo and rid themselves of that hideous yellow jersey.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,362

Post#154 » by Catchall » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:40 pm

Jazz could try to win games this year, finish 38-44, beat their Vegas Over/Under by a few games, and end up giving OKC the #12 pick in the draft. Unless the Jazz magically figure things out in the first 25 games or so, I think they should try to keep their pick this year and use it to draft or trade. Right now, the Jazz are in the business of drafting for, or trading for, star players, and all they've done so far is tear down. In a vacuum, adding a top 8 pick this year makes a lot of sense. If the Jazz want to try to trade for a star like Luka, they'll need to offer a top-5 pick as a centerpiece, along with future picks.

I think the Jazz are starting the season "trying to make the play-in/playoffs," but when it becomes clear that it's going to be a stretch they'll trade out Olynyk, THT and maybe Clarkson. In terms of longterm pieces, the Jazz only have Lauri and a few first and second-year players. In other words, this roster is built to tank. Picking up guys like Fontecchio and Samanic was a tank move, if we're being honest.

The Jazz were in this position before in 2014/15. They were a young team with a few vets that don't particularly fit well together--e.g., Exum, Burke, Burks, Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Trevor Booker, etc. They finished with 38 wins and drafted Trey Lyles. It wasn't a great pick, but it factored into trading for Donovan Mitchell.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
vtime
Rookie
And1: 252

Post#155 » by vtime » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:58 pm

I still thinking moving a 1st for a pg like Nembhard would’ve been a great move.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#156 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:00 pm

vtime wrote:I still thinking moving a 1st for a pg like Nembhard would’ve been a great move.

I disagreed with you at the time but it may well prove to be the right move.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#157 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:03 pm

For anyone who wants to know which Jazz games to avoid due to their ugly jerseys, here is a schedule of which Jersey will be worn for each game:

https://kslsports.com/506531/utah-jazz-2023-24-jersey-schedule/

Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#158 » by Rauxcee » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:48 am

Oh I care. They are absolutely hideous and the worst the Franchise has ever had. One of the worst the league has ever had.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#159 » by vryadli » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:47 pm

Let's not forget that it was a brutal start for a young unsettled team. Of four opponents 3 are mature contenders with strong ambitions and SK is a solid play-off team fully intended to go up in pecking order. 3-1 is not a disappointment at this conditions.

Of course, we (those who prefer Jazz to fight on court, not in sophisticated trading/drafting activities (which, of course is kind, of reputable sport on its own right in modern professional sports)) still can get be disappointed, but it is not here yet.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,720

Post#160 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 1:11 pm

At the risk of jinxing Olynyk :-o , I am going to point out that he is killing it on the early season, small 5 game sample. At Real GM advanced stats, he is either number one or two for the Jazz in five out of six categories. In addition, Olynyk and Kris Dunn are the only Jazz rotation players with a positive plus minus per game.

Return to Utah Jazz