Biggest Trade in Utah Jazz History!!

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

HolyToledo
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Biggest Trade in Utah Jazz History!! 

Post#1 » by HolyToledo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:25 pm

What is the Utah Jazz's biggest trade in their history?

1) Dominque Wilkins for Larry Drew, Freeman Williams, and $1 mil;

2) Jeff Hornacek from Philly to Utah to help them make a couple of championship runs;

3) Al Jefferson to Utah for future picks;

4) Adrian Dantley to Detroit for Kelly Tripuka;

5) Jazz trading up a couple of picks to draft DWill; and

6) Ben Hadlogten and others to Suns for the NYK pick (Hayward).

These are the biggest trades in Utah Jazz history that I can remember. As you can see there has not been too many. Wilkins trade was a killer but kept the franchise viable. Horneck and now Jefferson were both great bargains and moves at necessary times. Dantley trade had little impact. DWILL trade worked out greatly for the Utah Jazz. Getting the NYK pick ended up a little disappointing but may work out because Hayward may end up being a top 3 player of this draft.
Top 4 seed in the West!!! Guaranteed!!!
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Re: Biggest Trade in Utah Jazz History!! 

Post#2 » by DelaneyRudd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:27 pm

3 picks for Deron Williams
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,109

Post#3 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:35 pm

DelaneyRudd wrote:3 picks for Deron Williams

+1

But, KOC has the 2 of the 3 top deals now. The Horny deal has to be #2 and Jefferson #3 at this point.

Jefferson has about 10 years to move up the list though.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#4 » by edfmx86 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:42 pm

at this moment, nothing can top the trade that got us Deron Williams
JockRider
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#5 » by JockRider » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:50 pm

AJ has to do something before he can be considered for this type of list.
stevebozell
Starter

Post#6 » by stevebozell » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:52 pm

The Hornacek trade, easily. That move made them an elite team. Go look at their success both in the regular season and playoffs (especially on the road) after they got him.
The Sheik
General Manager

Post#7 » by The Sheik » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:56 pm

I think the Hornacek deal made a franchise and the Deron deal saved a franchise. Without Hornacek we wouldn't have made the finals twice, without Williams we would be the Clippers.
stevebozell
Starter

Post#8 » by stevebozell » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:57 pm

The Sheik wrote:I think the Hornacek deal made a franchise and the Deron deal saved a franchise. Without Hornacek we wouldn't have made the finals twice, without Williams we would be the Clippers.

We werent the without him when Stockton and Maloen first left.....I like Williams but he hasnt won anything yet.
ColdBlue wrote:I think NJN should go to the cave and whip up a Sloan + NJN + anal lube = Championship sig.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#9 » by DelaneyRudd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

And what did Hornacek win?

To quote Prof. Farnsworth in the episode The Sting, "I just made myself sad." :(
stevebozell
Starter

Post#10 » by stevebozell » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:01 pm

DelaneyRudd wrote:And what did Hornacek win?

To quote Prof. Farnsworth in the episode The Sting, "I just made myself sad." :(

They won ALOT of games with him...60 wins a few times, something Deron hasnt reached yet, as well as numerous deep playoff runs. Maybe in a few years I will change my mind, but the Hornacek trade was so obvious in bumping us to elite status I say thats #1.
ColdBlue wrote:I think NJN should go to the cave and whip up a Sloan + NJN + anal lube = Championship sig.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#11 » by erudite23 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:21 pm

I hate to agree with Steve, but this is a no brainer. The Jazz' claim to fame is that we are the best team to never win a championship, and also MJ's self-professed toughest out. That might not be the same as winning a 'chip, but its more than a ton of franchises can say. Without Hornacek, we never would have gotten to that next level, and the Stockton/Malone teams wouldn't have ever been anything measurably better than the Deron/Boozer ones. Horny wins.
sendai91
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#12 » by sendai91 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:44 pm

If I know my facts correctly, the Dominique trade allowed the Jazz to stay financially afloat and viable as a franchise, which in turn allowed it to be bought by Larry Miller a few years later. If those assumptions are actually facts, then that's the biggest or most important trade in the franchise history in a walk.

My list:

1. Dominique
2. Horny
3. DWill ( far superior player to Horny, but Horny meant more to the team's climb to success at that time. In other words, if DWill gets us to the Finals or even the conference finals a few times, I swap the two in a hearbeat.
4. I might get skinned for this one, but I think that the Fisher trade ( for Owens, McLeod, Devin Brown) has been more meaningful in terms of the impact (WCF appearance) than the speculative impact of Hayward and Jefferson.
5. Korver for Giricek is the next trade that's had any other real impact in the last 15 years.
6. Speculative trades - Jefferson, Hayward - let's see what happens first...
7. Lots of other meaningless trades ( Keefe / Corbin, Donyell Marshall, Bailey / Brown, Hoffa / Humps, Murdock / Edwards for Humphries / Krsytowiak, lots of draft night deals - Muresepp, Podkolzine, Borchardt, Mohammed, etc..
Cavskilla431
Ballboy

Post#13 » by Cavskilla431 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Deron Williams is the best point guard in the league arguably...that was the jazz's best deal
McNutty
Ballboy

Post#14 » by McNutty » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong (shouldn't be a problem in this forum), but didn't the Jazz trade a pick that ended up being Magic Johnson? That's a pretty big trade.

As far as players that the Jazz traded for, my vote is for the DWill trade. Huge transition for the franchise.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#15 » by StocktonShorts » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:03 pm

McNutty wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (shouldn't be a problem in this forum), but didn't the Jazz trade a pick that ended up being Magic Johnson. That's a pretty big trade.

As far as players that the Jazz traded for, my vote is for the DWill trade. Huge transition for the franchise.

(This is from memory so it may be slightly off) The Jazz signed Gail Goodrich as a FA away from the Lakers. Back in those days if you signed away a team's FA the league could award compensation to the player's former team. In this case that compensation was a draft pick that turned into the No. 1 overall, which turned into Magic Johnson.
McNutty
Ballboy

Post#16 » by McNutty » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:06 pm

HappyProle wrote:
McNutty wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (shouldn't be a problem in this forum), but didn't the Jazz trade a pick that ended up being Magic Johnson. That's a pretty big trade.

(This is from memory so it may be slightly off) The Jazz signed Gail Goodrich as a FA away from the Lakers. Back in those days if you signed away a team's FA the league could award compensation to the player's former team. In this case that compensation was a draft pick that turned into the No. 1 overall, which turned into Magic Johnson.

That would make a lot more sense.
HammerDunk
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by HammerDunk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:15 pm

Yup, but I don't think it would have been possible for the Jazz to pick up Magic, so it's not like the Jazz missed a huge opportunity, not like Dominique. I still envision to this day, Malone, Stock, and Dominique destroying Jordan. Oh well...
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#18 » by erudite23 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Why wouldn't it have been possible, again? He was the consensus #1 and we would have had the pick. This was way before the days in which a player could leverage a team out of picking him. Magic would have and should have been a Jazz man. I have no idea how this doesn't get more play. Its a massive swing in fortunes, and it always seems to happen for the Lakers. They had a similar deal that allowed them to get James Worthy with the #1 overall pick a couple years later.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#19 » by The59Sound » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:35 pm

HammerDunk wrote:Yup, but I don't think it would have been possible for the Jazz to pick up Magic, so it's not like the Jazz missed a huge opportunity, not like Dominique. I still envision to this day, Malone, Stock, and Dominique destroying Jordan. Oh well...

The organization may not have existed (or remained in Utah, at least) without the cash from the Dominique. I recall that things were so tight, they were having employees bring in their own office supplies and, in some cases, office furniture.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
rednecksbasketball
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#20 » by rednecksbasketball » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:19 pm

I have always thought the Marshall trade to be a very good one. Jazz gave up very little and got a very good player. If I recall they gave up Eisley who was leaving, Keefe who was useless, and a late first.

Another good trade was Leckner and Hasen for Jeff Malone.

But the Williams trade was the best. 3 firsts which Portland blew for a top 20 player was great.
http://www.nbahoopsonline.com/ NBA History supersite.

Return to Utah Jazz