Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Re: Pau Gasol for Millsap, Marvin, Raja 

Post#21 » by Hoops Addict » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 am

2 MORE years at $19M.
No way......

Lakers will AMNESTY Gasol next year to avoid a $60M penalty.

It would be better to offer Chris Paul the Max.

Gasol is too expensive, declining.....nobody wants him.
blackham9258
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#22 » by blackham9258 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:08 am

people want gasol! you're deluding yourself.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#23 » by StocktonShorts » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:00 am

Pau can't hit clutch threes like Jefferson.
roll
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#24 » by roll » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:11 pm

StocktonShorts wrote:Is Big Al a huge upgrade over Asik? I'm not so sure. I don't think you'd get a consensus on that if you surveyed all the GMs.

He is. Houston plays with no interior offence.
It's time to jazz with Hayward and Favors!
blackham9258
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by blackham9258 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:57 pm

To me now is not the time to be tepid. We were tepid at the draft and missed out on a franchise PG. I still think had we packed Millsap and the GSW pick we could have moved up with Sacramento. That was the assertive thing to do.... just think of how we would be sitting right now had we done that. I would have even taken on Fransisco Garcia's contract to get that done.

If we re up Millsap or Jefferson we are giving in to mediocrity. Go for the All Star and then resign Millsap or some other decent 3rd big in the off season. If Jefferson is back next year we will have given in to mediocrity.

My trades:

Millsap, GSW pick for Garcia, Lillard

Jefferson, Marvin, Watson for Pau Gasol, Duhon

Jazz Lineup for next two years:

Williams, Lillard, Duhon
Burks, Hayward, Mo WIlliams,
Hayward, Garcia, Carrol
Favors, Kanter, Evans
Gasol, Favors, Kanter

2 years out:
Lillard
Burks
Hayward
Favors/Kanter
Gasol/Kanter

That team contends.
habibadobe
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#26 » by habibadobe » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:48 am

Not really sure Sacramento was looking to off load that pick for Millsap and possible future first. Hard to judge the Jazz for trades that never happened. Now if you want to talk should or could the Jazz have made a move for someone like Harden who did get traded then at least you know the value attached.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by StocktonShorts » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:56 pm

I apologize for the necro-post, but I was just throwing around trade ideas and independently came up with this same deal; so before I posted it I thought I'd search the forums for a similar deal and... voila!

I've warmed back up to Pau because I just don't see a better way for the Jazz to use their cap space next year.

So I'd do Millsap/Marvin/Raja for Pau assuming the Jazz can also move Jefferson for someone like Calderon. This sets the Jazz up to still contend for a playoff spot this year and next (the front office's mandate) while not tying up the salary cap beyond next year.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#28 » by Wolverine » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:01 am

I'd do that package for Rudy Gay
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#29 » by dr0welf » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:18 am

I don't want Pau's whiney ass face anywhere near our team
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by StocktonShorts » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:53 am

Wolverine wrote:I'd do that package for Rudy Gay

I think I'd rather commit to Pau for one more year beyond this one at $19M than Rudy Gay at $17M for one more beyond this one plus a $19M player option. I think Gay is tragically overrated.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#31 » by eLo » Sat Jan 5, 2013 5:31 am

Gay is overrated and Gasol is basically done in NBA i dont know if any one who is putting Al or Sap/Marv name in deal for Gasol seas how badly he is playing lately, and is not because Bryant is his teammate or D'antoni is his coach, is because he got health issues.
Xsy
Analyst
And1: 2,237

Post#32 » by Xsy » Sat Jan 5, 2013 8:21 am

Gasol is basically untradeable at this point. I laugh at whichever team ends up with Pau Gasol.
Jazz on your face.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#33 » by Luigi » Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:31 am

LA could include a first and a second. Then I'd do it. Otherwise that salary isn't going to be worth it.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#34 » by branny » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:30 pm

MacheteConfetti wrote:Gasol is basically untradeable at this point. I laugh at whichever team ends up with Pau Gasol.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by StocktonShorts » Sat Jan 5, 2013 5:24 pm

How considerate of Pau to lay an egg right after I revive this thread.
blackham9258
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by blackham9258 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 7:29 pm

I am telling you that Gasol will return to form with the Jazz.

Let me add another reason that is a litte more thought provoking:

Danny Ainge was known to a few years ago perform psychological studies or fingerprints of prospective players (I can't remember what it was exactly) but what it basically tried to do was to find the make up a players psyche. Was a player wired to push himself harder when times get tough or not. Did a player want to be great or just get paid etc.

Pau Gasol has been in what I would call the most disfunctional relationship in the League. He's like a married man whose wife won't put out anymore. He's tired, frustrated, and unsexed he has lost his man card. That is what happens when you take the ball out of the hands of the best passing big man in the league and one of the most talented offensive players. Everything atrophies. Things all seem discouraging, and hey my feet and knees are bugging me etc.

2 years ago he was considered a top 5-8 player in the world, and the most skilled big man in the world. Which is amazing considering that during their last championship run he was still getting way too few touches for a player of his caliber.

And thats my main point: Kobe Bryant is a insainly egomaniacal person to be around, play with, and coexist with. I think Pau has benefitted from his time in LA because it established him as a recognizeable great of the game, and all his talents and skills were on display and very well noticed because he was on the most recognizeable team (Kind of like I always wished Malone and Stockton had a chance to get the acclaim that comes to players in large media markets). But now that that is gone somewhat because of 2 coaching changes, and Kobe Bryant who is doubling down "ME BALL" it has been a tough couple years psycologically on him.

Also consider that there is no Phil Jackson to pull Kobe aside and say, "hey you prick... you're great and all but even Michael Jordan knew when to defer to other players." That comparison to Michael that only Phil Jackson could provide Kobe is what I believe kept Kobe in check and kept Pau sain.

Pau I think will quickly revitalize once he is given the ball in a position to succeed. I think injuries could be a problem, but I also feel like when he is back to prominence and respect in the league because everyone is once again saying great things and he is playing well and a feature presence not just scoring but distributing and running our passing offense through him... he will take better care to revitalize himself like T Duncan.

Remember Pau is only 32. I think he has 5-6 good years left and he just needs a reboot.

I really think psychology is playing a big part of his decline. He is still the best passing big man in the league, and athletecism was never why he was great... so the climb back to solid all star or even all world won't be too great.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by StocktonShorts » Sun Jan 6, 2013 12:52 am

I also think he would be good with Utah. The guy desperately needs a change of scenery. If the Jazz traded for him they may also shut him down for the rest of the year to heal his various nagging injuries.

If his stock drops so low that the Jazz can get him for Marvin/Foye/Bell or Millsap/Bell then that would be fantastic.
Bullet
Junior
And1: 18

Post#38 » by Bullet » Sun Jan 6, 2013 2:09 am

For me, the only logical reason for trades for UTAH at this point is if it helps our young guys.

This trade is one of those.
1. Pau is an unselfish player, with a great passing game out of the high post.
2. Can score when needed as our young bigs develop their offensive games.
3. Fits alongside either Kanter or Favors.
4. Because of high post skills (shooting and passing), can work within the flex.
5. Pau expires when Kanter and Burks' extensions kick in.

Then work out a separate deal involving Big Al for Andrei Miller and a complimentary wing (Gallo/Chandler?) to free minutes for Favors and Kanter.
ferk
Starter
And1: 689

Post#39 » by ferk » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:58 am

Memphis fan here.
What would zbo get the grizz?
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340