I'm looking for a little info on the team

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

I'm looking for a little info on the team 

Post#1 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:47 pm

I'm starting up my offseason preview and wanted to get some info and feedback from you guys before I got going.

How do you see the depth chart breaking down?
What are the major story lines to the team this year?
How do you think we will finish record wise in the league? (what place? 1-30)
Tell me a little about the coaching situation.

Thanks in advance.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Re: I'm looking for a little info on the team 

Post#2 » by Jazzfan12 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Depth:

PG: Burke (32)/Exum (16)
SG: Burks (32)/Exum (16)
SF: Hayward (32)/Hood (12)/Novak (4)
PF: Kanter (24)/Novak (12)/Booker (12)
C: Favors (32)/Kanter (8)/Gobert (8)

Story lines:

Is Dante Exum talented enough to be a future superstar?
Will Enes Kanter learn how to be good player this year via learning how to defend, pass, and shoot threes?
Will Snyder be good and be able to keep his cool as a full-time NBA head coach? Missouri fell apart and looked out of control at the end of his coaching career there.

Record:

Between 22-27 wins, 2nd to 4th worst team in the NBA.

Coaching situation:

Snyder seems super smart and humble, but struggled with personal issues earlier in his life (drugs, partying, adultery, etc). I don't think those issues seem concerning at all for his future though.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#3 » by BarneyGumble » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:55 pm

If Gobert only gets 8 mpg we are doing something wrong....I also think Hood is better than a 12 mpg guy. Guess it remains to be seen.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#4 » by JazzyPhinz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:25 pm

I believe in Snyder. I love his developmental background and think he will make us relieved we didn't hire Hornacek over him.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#5 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:34 pm

I am going to break it down into subcategories since Snyder seems to think positions don't mater and I suspect we will see a ton of different lineups. While I can't wait to see the Exum, Burks, Hayward lineup because I believe that to be the future, I also really look forward to seeing a lineup of Hayward, Burks, and Hood. I think right now that lineup would give opponents the most issues. I also predicted Hood would have a better year than Dante but if my hope for how minutes is subdivided comes to fruition then Hood will not get the minutes he needs to shine. I have been anti trading Burke because Exum is so young, but as soon as he shows he can start we need to move Burke to allow Hood to get more minutes. Exum taking minutes when he shares the court with Burke means less minutes for Hood to play in other scenarios. I do not like that as I think Hood can be a very good player. I believe he will be more valuable than Burkes.

I think it looks something like this......

Guard Minutes- 48 * 3 = 144

Hayward (35), Burks (32), Burke (28), Exum (28), Hood (13), Carrick Felix (8)

The "BIGS" Minutes- 48 * 2 = 96

Favors (32), Kanter (30), Gobert (16), Novak (10), Booker (8),

Storyline will be all about Exum with dashes of Quinn thrown in there. Especially if the Jazz exceed expectations. I think the Jazz could be anywhere from 25-35 wins. All depending on how quick they learn the new system. There only chance is to outrun their opponents. If they can play with a fast pace and get a little confidence they might have a little run in the middle of the season when teams are getting tired. Other than that I see a lot of fun games to watch but not a lot of wins.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#6 » by laika » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 pm

This is more what I want to see rather than what I think it will be-

PG: Burke (24)/Exum (24)
SG: Burks (32)/Hayward (16)
SF: Hayward (16)/Hood (24)/Novak (8)
PF: Kanter (24)/Favors(8)/Evans (8)/Booker (8)
C: Favors (24)/Gobert (24)

Will Burke accept being the backup PG or does he need to be traded?
How many minutes can Exum handle?
Is Burks ready to become a full time starter?
Will Hayward come close to justifying his contract?
Can Kanter improve on last year's terrible play?
Can Kanter/Favors play together?
Can Gobert/Favors play together?

I don't have a reasonable guess on how good of a coach Snyder will be. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I'll predict 35 wins.
MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Post#7 » by MeestR » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:19 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I'm starting up my offseason preview and wanted to get some info and feedback from you guys before I got going.

Thanks in advance.

Jazz have 13 players right now. most good teams tighten their rotation to 8 players. the jazz are not a good team. i can see tightening it to maybe 9, but probably 10. felix, clark, evans, and maybe gobert or hood will be fighting for garbage time.

major story lines: why is booker getting so many minutes? hayward is severely underperforming again! Favors needs to be more tenacious. Why cant kanter stay in front of his man? #FreeRodneyHood

i can see the jazz finishing at around 30 wins. the tank-iness of the league wont be so obvious this year. so the fringe playoff teams from last year will regress, but the top of the league will also regress. so i can see this jazz team with minor improvement record wise. probably 5th or 6th from the bottom again.

it will be pretty exciting to see how snyder implements his vision. but if kanter, trey, exum, hayward, and favors dont make noticeable improvements, he will get some criticisms. especially if our new vets are outplaying our "core."
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#8 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:49 pm

laika wrote:This is more what I want to see rather than what I think it will be-

PG: Burke (24)/Exum (24)
SG: Burks (32)/Hayward (16)
SF: Hayward (16)/Hood (24)/Novak (8)
PF: Kanter (24)/Favors(8)/Evans (8)/Booker (8)
C: Favors (24)/Gobert (24)

I'd be happy with that. Maybe I am being a homer, but I swear Hood is going to excel. His skill set is perfect for the way the league is moving.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#9 » by stitches » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:13 am

Depth:

PG: Burke (28)/Exum (16)/Clarke(4)(or whoever they sign for 3d pg)
SG: Burks (30)/Exum(10)/Hayward(4)/Felix(4)
SF: Hayward (28)/Hood (18)/Novak (2)
PF: Kanter (22)/Booker (14)/Novak(8)/Evans(4
C: Favors (32)/Gobert (16)

Story lines:

Can Exum and Burke co-exist?
Will Exum's skills translate to NBA and if so(and if the answer to the first question is 'no') can he oust Burke from the starting PG spot by the end of the year?
Will Enes Kanter play defense, and if not, will the coaching staff have the strength of will to bench him whenever he doesn't apply himself on the defensive end?
Many people say Favors is on the verge of having a true breakthrough year with all-star type of numbers. Will this happen? Can he make this step forward?
Will Hayward be anywhere close to justifying his new max-price-tag?

Record:

25-30 wins(22-27th place)
Coaching situation:
Will Quin Snyder be able to implement his ideas with the team? Again - will he demand defensive effort for playing time and will he bench players for not applying themselves on the defensive end? Will the new offense run smoothly? ... in general, this last part would be more about the eye-test than the results, I think...
He seems like a breath of fresh air to be honest. I love his attitude, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the team would flourish under his reign.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#10 » by BudTugly » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:03 pm

Assuming the roster remains the same,

Favors, Hayward and Burke will play the heaviest minute load, with Exum possibly taking over if Burke can't do it. Hayward will be a full time 3. Unless he takes over starting point, Exum will split guard positions. Gobert is going to make a very strong push for starting 5 especially if he runs and passes well. Burks and Kanter will have to battle younger players for serious roles.

Storylines will revolve around Snyder and his player usage vs. fan expectations compared to the previous coach. Burke, Exum, Burks, Kanter, and Gobert will not all get major minutes without injuries. Favors, Hayward and Burke will be under a lot of pressure to prove themselves worthy of their contract and or role.

This team probably won't win as is. It's not likely the roster will remain unchanged through the season. The FO will be biding their time looking for an opportunity to turn one of our question marks into an exclamation point. That opportunity might not come, and if it does might not be a move fans like.

Snyder is in a better spot than Corbs was but several players will have to make major leaps or be replaced with better guys if he's going to look real good. Of course he says defense. Nobody has ever claimed to have a plan to play crap D. Emphasizing pace is not really a mind blowing revelation with a young team. Probably around 35 wins but could be better if a couple things go just right or our emphasized players all improve.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#11 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:59 am

Thanks for the help!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1341821
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
JDubJazz
Analyst
And1: 4

Post#12 » by JDubJazz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:24 pm

I'm starting up my offseason preview and wanted to get some info and feedback from you guys before I got going.

Thanks in advance.

1. Depth Chart to start the season:
PG: Burke, Exum, Burks, Misc DLeaguer - Burke's job to lose, but Exum may be future at position. Burks is more than capable for spot off the bench minutes, making 3rd stringer functionally irrelevant.
SG: Burks, Exum, Hood, Clark - Alec may well be the go-to scorer this season if the Jazz don't turn him into our Ginobili/6th man.
SF: Hayward, Hood, Felix - I know Hayward signed the big contract, but if Hood can consistently hit the three, he will challenge Gordon for minutes.
PF: Kanter, Booker, Novak, Evans: Kanter has to prove he can be a stretch four at times, or he's gonna be trade bait.
C: Favors, Gobert, Kanter: Should be defensively monstrous at the pivot this season

2. Storylines
- who is Quin Snyder as a coach
- Can Hayward live up to the contract (sideline: will Hood be better?)
- Dante Exum's progression
- Can Kanter make the leap to offensive option #1 or #2
- Do the Jazz trade some of their youth to speed up the rebuild (prime candidates: Burks, Kanter, Evans)
- Does Jeremy Evans even get on the floor this year, despite his ridiculous +/-?

3. Record
- my best guess is 28-32 wins
- second or third to last in the West
- teams probably worse than Utah: Philly, Boston, Orlando
- other lottery contenders: LAL, Minny, Phx (due for a fall),

4. Coaching
This is the biggest question mark for the season. Snyder is, by all reports, a pretty brilliant guy. Does that translate to the court? With this roster does it even matter? I think its pretty interesting that DL learned his lesson from Ty and is giving Quin no older veterans at all, so he can't even be tempted by playing them ahead of the youth.I'm most intrigued to see what Snyder means to the development of Kanter, who is probably the most offensively skilled player on the roster, but if he can't make it happen now, its probably time to cut ties.

Good luck with your preview!
--J-Dub--

Return to Utah Jazz