2015 Draft Prospect discussion thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: 2015 Draft Prospect discussion thread 

Post#301 » by KqWIN » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:18 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:There's not a PG available at 12 that has more potential than Dante and there probably isn't one that will be better than him opening day next season. The PG position needs to be upgraded, but drafting a player at #12 won't fix that.

I think a lot of people are looking at a potential Trey replacement, rather than Dante's? But I agree, I don't feel like we need a PG in draft. PGs is the hardest position to learn in the league and it will take time before any young PG is able to contribute to a winning team. If we are going to get a PG I'd prefer we get one with some experience who can back up Dante(Collison/DJ Augustin-type), or one who is ready to start for a couple of years while waiting on Dante to develop(Lawson-type).

Agreed. Free agency/trade would be a better way to improve the position. Right now, the PG position rests on young players getting better. Drafting a PG does nothing to change that. I'd much rather know exactly what we're getting. Like you said, getting a high level backup player like Collison would be great. In a perfect world Trey Burke makes a jump and becomes that player for us, personally I'm not too optimistic and don't want to wait to find out.
mkl2021
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#302 » by mkl2021 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:21 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:There's not a PG available at 12 that has more potential than Dante and there probably isn't one that will be better than him opening day next season. The PG position needs to be upgraded, but drafting a player at #12 won't fix that.

I think a lot of people are looking at a potential Trey replacement, rather than Dante's? But I agree, I don't feel like we need a PG in draft. PGs is the hardest position to learn in the league and it will take time before any young PG is able to contribute to a winning team. If we are going to get a PG I'd prefer we get one with some experience who can back up Dante(Collison/DJ Augustin-type), or one who is ready to start for a couple of years while waiting on Dante to develop(Lawson-type).

The thing about Exum is that we drafted him to be the PG of the future knowing that it would take a few years for him to be ready but based on his size he can also play some 2. I say don't go out of our tier in the draft but if there is a PG we like then I wouldn't be afraid to take him. Maybe we can get rid of Trey for a 2nd round pick or package him with all our expirings for another piece to the puzzle
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#303 » by MHSL82 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:32 pm

Atlanta has the right to swap first round picks with Brooklyn this year, or presumably next year. If you were them, would you exercise it this year or hope for better next year? Part of me says, with Atlanta's record this year, that guarantees you are giving up a low, low pick in swapping, but Brooklyn could be worse. The goal should be where Brooklyn is, not where Atlanta is. I would take it this year because Brooklyn could improve. Also current year picks in the NFL are worth more than future picks, but there's more sudden changes than the NBA.
BasketballKing3
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#304 » by BasketballKing3 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:36 pm

Justise Winslow has been killing it as of late. Would not be mad at all if we got him. He is a top 5 talent in this draft without a doubt
bucephalus
Junior
And1: 51

Post#305 » by bucephalus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:08 pm

MHSL82 wrote:Atlanta has the right to swap first round picks with Brooklyn this year, or presumably next year. If you were them, would you exercise it this year or hope for better next year? Part of me says, with Atlanta's record this year, that guarantees you are giving up a low, low pick in swapping, but Brooklyn could be worse. The goal should be where Brooklyn is, not where Atlanta is. I would take it this year because Brooklyn could improve. Also current year picks in the NFL are worth more than future picks, but there's more sudden changes than the NBA.

I don't know where you would've heard that. The swap is only for this year, next year the Nets are sending their unprotected number 1 to Boston. In theory, if this were the case, I would swap this year if I'm the Hawks because there's no guarantee the Nets will be worse next year and the Hawks would be moving up from the very back of the draft to (presumably) the lottery.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#306 » by MHSL82 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:07 pm

bucephalus wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:Atlanta has the right to swap first round picks with Brooklyn this year, or presumably next year. If you were them, would you exercise it this year or hope for better next year? Part of me says, with Atlanta's record this year, that guarantees you are giving up a low, low pick in swapping, but Brooklyn could be worse. The goal should be where Brooklyn is, not where Atlanta is. I would take it this year because Brooklyn could improve. Also current year picks in the NFL are worth more than future picks, but there's more sudden changes than the NBA.

I don't know where you would've heard that. The swap is only for this year, next year the Nets are sending their unprotected number 1 to Boston. In theory, if this were the case, I would swap this year if I'm the Hawks because there's no guarantee the Nets will be worse next year and the Hawks would be moving up from the very back of the draft to (presumably) the lottery.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

Towards the bottom, it says that Atlanta has the right to swap spots. I was thinking, duh, why wouldn't you? Then, I thought, maybe it extends to next year as an option... But that's after the season went the way it did. Obviously, now thinking about it, if Atlanta had a worse record, they'd decline. I was thinking of the option currently, not when the trade was made.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#307 » by Hoops Addict » Thu Apr 2, 2015 7:44 pm

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/cameron-payne

Shooting up to 13 is Cameron Payne-PG Murray State. Is he any good?

He is listed at 32 on the top 100 nig board.....up 69 spots.......big riser.

http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard

Trey Lyles listed at 12- do you all like him?

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/trey-lyles
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#308 » by No-Man » Fri Apr 3, 2015 11:15 pm

I would probably pick Tyus Jones for Utah at 12, Payne is good too, I see Exum as a SG, and Burke seems to inconsistent so be a starter, I was high on him in the past though.
Devin Booker, Frank Kaminsky, should be options too.
countrybama24
Rookie
And1: 25

Post#309 » by countrybama24 » Sat Apr 4, 2015 6:09 pm

Fischella wrote:I would probably pick Tyus Jones for Utah at 12, Payne is good too, I see Exum as a SG, and Burke seems to inconsistent so be a starter, I was high on him in the past though.
Devin Booker, Frank Kaminsky, should be options too.

Even if Exum plays like a two, I love the idea of drafting a SG who can run the offense like James Harden. Obviously we probably won't find someone of Harden's caliber in all likelihood, but I really want a big, quick defender at the one when we go against Westbrook, Curry, Irving, Lillard etc.

I also think we just draft best player available because you just want to stockpile assets to use in a potential trade. We just have to deal with a potential logjam better that we did with Kanter. Most prospects won't flip out like Kanter did backing up Favors or Gobert for a year or two, and we can fit a wing guy easily into the rotation alongside Hayward. If we do draft a starting 4 or 3, great! We then can package him with a pick, Hood and/or Burks to get the next disgruntled superstar on the market or a top 5 pick. We just have to be proactive.
mkl2021
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#310 » by mkl2021 » Sat Apr 4, 2015 11:08 pm

Hoops Addict wrote:http://www.nbadraft.net/players/cameron-payne

Shooting up to 13 is Cameron Payne-PG Murray State. Is he any good?

He is listed at 32 on the top 100 nig board.....up 69 spots.......big riser.

http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard

Trey Lyles listed at 12- do you all like him?

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/trey-lyles

I really like Payne if we are looking for a point guard. He's smooth and has better vision than Burke or Exum. He will probably end up in the 10-20 range. Lyles is a pass for me.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#311 » by sipclip » Sun Apr 5, 2015 2:31 am

If we are going for a pg in this draft then I want to wait until later in the draft. Andrew Harrison and Gary Payton should both be available at the end of the first or early 2nd and I expect both to be solid players.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#312 » by BudTugly » Sun Apr 5, 2015 5:34 pm

The last thing these guys are gonna do is draft another point.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#313 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 6, 2015 12:23 am

I think the Jazz will end up drafting from the 10th spot, if they can't wiggle up to #9. They have a tough schedule to end the season and seem to have taken their foot off the gas a bit.

I'm sure the Jazz would love Hezonja or Winslow. Failing that, I think they'd love Porzingis. Failing that, I think they'll consider Johnson, Oubre and Looney. Exum is showing some good signs as an orchestrator at PG, and as long as Hayward is on the floor, it will take some pressure off him to produce right away.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#314 » by pickIBL » Mon Apr 6, 2015 12:42 am

The Jazz should decide who their guy is. Who is 1 on their board. Is it Hezonja? Do they think he'll be a generational player? Is the franchise is love with him? What do the scouts think? How does the coaching staff feel? So let's say they gotta have Hezonja and he's slotted to go 4 thru 6. Then you figure out what it takes to trade up. Maybe it's not so bad... Maybe it takes Exum and the 1st to get it done (yikes). But if you feel Mario is Gary Eagle... and he's available... what do you do? Do you have the huevos to trust in your ability as a front office to go get your guy?

One thing is for sure... he's a freak.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9R05d01sRE[/youtube]

4.2.15 vs real madrid

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNoc1RMl4Yo[/youtube]
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Catchall
RealGM

Post#315 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 6, 2015 5:17 am

I'd be willing to move Hood and our pick for Hezonja. I wouldn't move Exum.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#316 » by laika » Mon Apr 6, 2015 5:20 am

pickIBL wrote:The Jazz should decide who their guy is. Who is 1 on their board. Is it Hezonja? Do they think he'll be a generational player? Is the franchise is love with him? What do the scouts think? How does the coaching staff feel? So let's say they gotta have Hezonja and he's slotted to go 4 thru 6. Then you figure out what it takes to trade up. Maybe it's not so bad... Maybe it takes Exum and the 1st to get it done (yikes). But if you feel Mario is Gary Eagle... and he's available... what do you do? Do you have the huevos to trust in your ability as a front office to go get your guy?

He does have some decent highlights, but I'm not convinced. The Jazz are nicely balanced right now. If they did this trade it would once again create a glaring weakness at the 1.

Team A- Exum/Hood/Hayward/Favors/Gobert/#12 pick.
Team B- Burke/Hezonja/Hayward/Favors/Gobert

Hood has been quite good for the Jazz lately in the same role Hezonja would have. How much better can you expect Hezonja to be?
I would pick team A.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#317 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 6, 2015 5:24 am

I like Hood as a shooter off the bench, but I don't think he's athletic or explosive enough to be a high-impact starter. I would flat-out love Hezonja. I still wouldn't trade Exum in the deal. I think he's going to be a game-changer.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#318 » by pickIBL » Mon Apr 6, 2015 5:49 am

laika wrote:
pickIBL wrote:The Jazz should decide who their guy is. Who is 1 on their board. Is it Hezonja? Do they think he'll be a generational player? Is the franchise is love with him? What do the scouts think? How does the coaching staff feel? So let's say they gotta have Hezonja and he's slotted to go 4 thru 6. Then you figure out what it takes to trade up. Maybe it's not so bad... Maybe it takes Exum and the 1st to get it done (yikes). But if you feel Mario is Gary Eagle... and he's available... what do you do? Do you have the huevos to trust in your ability as a front office to go get your guy?

He does have some decent highlights, but I'm not convinced. The Jazz are nicely balanced right now. If they did this trade it would once again create a glaring weakness at the 1.

Team A- Exum/Hood/Hayward/Favors/Gobert/#12 pick.
Team B- Burke/Hezonja/Hayward/Favors/Gobert

Hood has been quite good for the Jazz lately in the same role Hezonja would have. How much better can you expect Hezonja to be?
I would pick team A.

I'm really impressed that the Jazz just invested in the D-League. I think it makes it possible for them to install their system and draft guys like George Lucas with a 2 or 3 year plan to develop them. Exum passed on his opportunity to play in Europe, College, or the D-League. He's a long-term prospect. He needed a year in a real triple A jazz system ideally. He still has a big curve ahead of him.

You say trading Exum creates a glaring weakness at the 1. I seriously wonder if you are just projecting out or if you are watching at all? The glaring hole is already there. Maybe Exum fills it nicely, but he's more than a year out.

As for Hezonja. A 6'8 SG with very deep range and a plus 40 vertical who is a proven Euroleague prospect at 19/20... that's generational.
Amish Mafioso
Banned User
And1: 1,004

Post#319 » by Amish Mafioso » Mon Apr 6, 2015 8:37 am

Not giving up Exum. Shouldn't be a question, IMO.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#320 » by pickIBL » Mon Apr 6, 2015 8:57 am

Amish Mafioso wrote:Not giving up Exum. Shouldn't be a question, IMO.

So to go on the record. If a team picking 4th with Mario on the board and demanded Exum back for Mario... you would turn it down. Meaning you think Exum is the better prospect?

Return to Utah Jazz