Kanter vs Gobert

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Who do you think will be the better player for our organization?

Gobert
77%
Kanter
23%

Total votes: 78

JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Re: Kanter vs Gobert 

Post#201 » by JazzMatt13 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:23 am

Kanter's numbers are similar to over 30 players. So to crunch more, I can add ppg. If I add Kanter's 14 points a game, it cuts list in half. Actually the list is filled with great players, from Griffin, Vucevice, Aldridge, Love, and Millsap, not to mention Favors, so Kanter is up there with Favors as good front court player, which leaves me to believe, we should be asking Frontcourt vs Backcourt, or Our Backcourt vs Other Backcourts. Kanter and Gobert are both doing above average work, definitely not failing.

Hayward, Kanter, Favors and Gobert, are all up there among their peers, aka whole league. They are similar to the best at their positions, id say great players, just not greatest. They all have 1 short coming, usually just PPG and shooting percentages. Ive compared our back court before, and every single guard isn't even top at pg or sg, while our front court guys are just as good/good enough as top 20 of all bigs.

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/? ... CAST*GE*.5" target="_blank

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/s ... CPTS*GE*14" target="_blank
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,844

Re: Kanter vs Gobert 

Post#202 » by Joao Saraiva » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Viktor Vaughn wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:He can be a competent coach and make mistakes. If every coach, even the competent ones, made all the right moves then coaching would have 0 impact on the game because all the coaches would do the right moves.

I hate when people bring this kind of comment. It's like: Kobe said this so it must be right because he plays basketball and you don't. If that's the case why is MJ, the GOAT, such a bad GM?

I used bad wording. I'm not one to say that the coach is infallible because he is the coach. You're right, it's a bad way to think. I didn't mean to come off that way.

What I meant to say, was that I don't think it's appropriate to talk about what motivates Rudy Gobert, because we don't know Rudy Gobert. But Quin Snyder does. Obviously what I said about Q keeping Rudy on the bench, as a way to push him into development, was speculation. So I'm guilty of a double-standard.

But in the instance of the Clipper's game, Kanter and Favors were both killing it, and Trevor wasn't bad either. Rudy got into foul trouble a bit early on, and he really just wasn't as effective as we're used to seeing him. That instance of Rudy's minutes going down didn't feel like a coach blunder to me. It felt like a coach doing what he's supposed to do. Let the guys who are playing well play, and if a guy just isn't having his night, bench him. Q's done the same to Kanter, he's done the same to Favors, and he's put Trey into the second unit.

I don't know, I just don't think the "Rudy isn't getting the minutes he deserves" line has much basis, at all. This month of January he's had more games above 25 minutes than below. I think when it comes to Rudy, Q knows what he's doing.

Fair enough. I'll admit Gobert is the guy I want to see more and more minutes in, I think he has a bright future ahead of him.

But yes your logic makes sense.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan

Return to Utah Jazz