Kanter vs Gobert

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Who do you think will be the better player for our organization?

Gobert
77%
Kanter
23%

Total votes: 78

Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,842

Kanter vs Gobert 

Post#1 » by Joao Saraiva » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:55 am

I'd like to know who do you think will be the better player for our organization.

I'm not really high on Kanter, and I believe Gobert can be really useful in terms of rebounding, blocking and defending. With the right playmakers and with his size I believe he can finish a lot of plays at the rim.

Who would you like to see starting?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,985

Re: Kanter vs Gobert 

Post#2 » by zimpy27 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:00 am

I already mentioned this in another thread and got flamed, people frothing on Kanter for his shooting but I believe if he hasn't improved this year then Gobert will take his spot by the end of the season.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
HolyToledo12
Rookie
And1: 154

Post#3 » by HolyToledo12 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:52 am

I have always loved big tall guys that change the game defensively but Favors/Kanter/Gobert/Booker make a great bigs combo.
Play with the Pass, Play with a Purpose, and Play with Pace along with Obvious Unselfishness....Coach Snyder says the sky is purple than Jazz players say nice purple sky! LONG LIVE THE MAD SCIENTIST!!!!
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#4 » by BarneyGumble » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:55 pm

They are different players. Kanter is an ox, he is one of the best offensive rebounders in the league... if he hustles he can get lots of put backs and also step outside and hit jumpers. He's not a great passer, defender, or shot blocker. He can be an okay help defender.

Gobert is a wirey guy with lots of upside. He can grab defensive rebounds in bulk and can score nicely around the rim. he is not any sort of outside threat and he needs to develop 1 or 2 post moves. He is a better defender and shot blocker than Kanter.

They are completely different players. Whichever one steps up and improves his weaknesses will be the better player...but Kanter is clearly the better player at the moment. If Gobert gets more consistent, puts on some muscle, and improves on offense, he can be the better player.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#5 » by sipclip » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Plenty of minutes for both guys so it doesn't matter.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#6 » by tleikheen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Jazz won 20 something games ,,,,,,Ive said over and over and over ,,,,rebounding will be the 1st big improvement for the Jazz You hear Locke always saying talent wise we cant always match up with the elite teams ......but rebounding pounds elite teams and is a great equalizer ....Jazz can be top 2/3 in the NBA in rebounding ....There's no VS keep all three and pound all game
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#7 » by BudTugly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:16 pm

If Booker can play defense in space we are creating the wrong fake controversy.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#8 » by AK47MVP » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Gobert and it is not even close. Kanter will always be limited due to his limited explosiveness and size. Gobert on the other hand has no limits. It is only matter of time before Gobert is starting.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#9 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:20 pm

With the new emphasis on transition defense, I believe that Kanter's offensive rebound numbers will actually go down. He is shooting ok from range, but it isn't pretty as he looks pretty awkward as he sets up for his shot from distance beyond about 17 feet. I am not sure if the new offense will allow Kanter to use his muscle or interior moves that much.

Gobert needs to gain about 20 lbs, develop a couple offensive go to moves and a shot within 8-15 feet, and he will be a very good starting center. He has good athleticism, decent hands, and completely alters the paint with his defense and rebounding ability when he is in.

In fact, if Gobert continues to improve as he has, I have to wonder if the Jazz wouldn't be better off with either Favors at PF or trade for a better stretch type PF and start Gobert at C.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#10 » by erudite23 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:56 pm

If it comes down to an either/or, it will be Favors or Gobert. You can't play those two together as presently constituted and have a productive offense. Kanter can play alongside either with his shooting range and versatile skillset--assuming he ever figures out the nuances of the game.

I don't think there's any reason to compare these two.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#11 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:44 pm

erudite23 wrote:If it comes down to an either/or, it will be Favors or Gobert. You can't play those two together as presently constituted and have a productive offense. Kanter can play alongside either with his shooting range and versatile skillset--assuming he ever figures out the nuances of the game.

Right on the money, and very well put.

Playing Gobert+Favors hurts spacing considerably, while also leaves the Jazz with no real low post scorer, or a floor spacing big. Kanter is the closest thing the Jazz have to a scoring big.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#12 » by pickIBL » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:36 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
erudite23 wrote:If it comes down to an either/or, it will be Favors or Gobert. You can't play those two together as presently constituted and have a productive offense. Kanter can play alongside either with his shooting range and versatile skillset--assuming he ever figures out the nuances of the game.

Playing Gobert+Favors hurts spacing considerably, while also leaves the Jazz with no real low post scorer, or a floor spacing big. Kanter is the closest thing the Jazz have to a scoring big.

Rudy Gobert snagged 20 boards in 22 minutes. He's on a path to be either a first off the bench rim protector or a starting center someday. He does not fit well staring with favors, agreed. I'd be highly disappointed if he gets moved. In a couple years if he is playing 35 minutes a night somewhere he could put up monster numbers defensively. This makes me want to dig up all the nice things I said about him while everyone was dumping on him lol. He was a good selection by the Jazz. They got that one right in 2013 no less!
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#13 » by StocktonShorts » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:13 am

For what it's worth Snyder did play Gobert and Favors together briefly against the Clippers.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#14 » by Winglish » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:06 am

Gobert and Favors looked magnificent together when paired with three 3 point threats. This offense is not the old post up crap.

Kanter got bullied by Blake Griffin, including dunks on four consecutive trips down the court. Gobert actually fought back and made a nuisance of himself defensively.

This is Gobert by a mile.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#15 » by Luigi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:19 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:

I think we're too crappy/early in the rebuild to make decisions based on positions. We need to get and keep the best players available until we find someone worth building around. No reason to hold onto Kanter because he can stretch the floor, Favors because he can protect the rim, or Gobert because he can rebound. At least not until someone shows they can do it like an all star. Until then, I think anyone could go.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#16 » by BudTugly » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:34 am

StocktonShorts wrote:For what it's worth Snyder did play Gobert and Favors together briefly against the Clippers.

It's overblown what players can and can't do IMO. If they are willing to commit to scheme and do the little things it's not necessary for at least one of your bigs to be a reliable mid range shooter really. What is necessary is that they learn how to get out and defend away from the rim without getting owned.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#17 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:49 pm

Winglish wrote:Gobert and Favors looked magnificent together when paired with three 3 point threats. This offense is not the old post up crap.

Kanter got bullied by Blake Griffin, including dunks on four consecutive trips down the court. Gobert actually fought back and made a nuisance of himself defensively.

This is Gobert by a mile.

It's not like the universe will implode if they are both on the court at the same time. I'm sure it could work, but mostly on a situational basis and not as a duo that share the bulk of the minutes together every game. With all due respect to how "magnificent" they looked together - this is pre-season. Also, what do you think will happen when teams take notice of the Jazz's system and how they play? They'll adjust and apply more pressure on the back-court while giving more freedom to Favors+Gobert to play 1-1, knowing they are both limited at that aspect of the game. No, I don't see long-term thinking here.

Also, Kanter wasn't bullied by Griffin. If anything, he did a good job at keeping him out of the paint in the 1st quarter and forced him to take long range shots. When Griffin did get to the paint later on in the game, it wasn't by bullying Kanter, but by using his speed and quickness and putting the ball on the floor (and he got in a groove while Kanter was on the bench and before he checked in). He did out-muscle Favors and Gobert though. And it's not like ANY of the Jazz's players managed to stop him.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#18 » by Winglish » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:57 am

Also, Kanter wasn't bullied by Griffin. If anything, he did a good job at keeping him out of the paint in the 1st quarter and forced him to take long range shots. When Griffin did get to the paint later on in the game, it wasn't by bullying Kanter, but by using his speed and quickness and putting the ball on the floor (and he got in a groove while Kanter was on the bench and before he checked in). He did out-muscle Favors and Gobert though. And it's not like ANY of the Jazz's players managed to stop him.

Nope. Griffin got extra deep position on Kanter and dunked on him four straight frips down the court. It was a straight up bully job once Griffin decided to take the low post. Then after several more ugly Kanter defensive possessions Kanter got pulled and Rudy harassed Griffin pretty good.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#19 » by babyjax13 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:47 am

I think Favors and Gobert can work together as long as their is a lot of P&R action and off-ball screens. If they can manage even 8 minutes a game together well, that would mean a lot for our roster flexibility moving forward.

If Gobert outplayed Kanter and Booker we might be looking at something like this:
Gobert 24/Favors 10/Kanter 14
Favors 20/Kanter 12/Booker 16

But it all depends on finding that offensive scheme where those two aren't liabilities.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#20 » by Reckless » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:15 am

I voted for kanter just because I felt bad for him

Return to Utah Jazz