Extension Predictions

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Extension Predictions 

Post#1 » by pickIBL » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:25 pm

What will happen with Alec Burks and Enes Kanter as they approach the deadline. What are they asking for? What will they get? Will a deal get done now, over the summer, or does a trade go down.

Your predictions here...
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Re: Extension Predictions 

Post#2 » by DiscoLives4ever » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:49 pm

I don't know what will happen, but taking into account the future cap increases: I will be happy if the pair are signed for a combined $20/yr or less, and could accept a combined $25
HolyToledo12
Rookie
And1: 154

Post#3 » by HolyToledo12 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:58 pm

No extensions for either one and the Jazz match in the off season. Best the Jazz would pay Alec is 6-8 mil a year and Kanter 8-10 mil a year and I don't think either will take those deals. Alec prolly looking for 10-12 per year and Kanter 12-14 Mil per year and Jazz are not going to pay them that unless they earn it this year.
Play with the Pass, Play with a Purpose, and Play with Pace along with Obvious Unselfishness....Coach Snyder says the sky is purple than Jazz players say nice purple sky! LONG LIVE THE MAD SCIENTIST!!!!
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#4 » by pickIBL » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:59 pm

What exactly has Alec "proven" yet. I get the Kanter I'm tall so pay me argument. We shall see on that one, but Alec is a guard. Personally I'd offer 28m and try to meet in the middle with a low 30s deal. If you are a hot commodity now as a guard take what you can get... especially if you are on a losing team. The worst case scenario in Evan Turner just played out.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#5 » by BudTugly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:25 pm

There aren't a lot of great 2s and we have one that's pretty good in Burks IMO. I think the FO will try a lot harder to get him extended than Kanter.

The quicker they sign Burks the better, he's a good player and fills a role this team needs desperately. A lot of people expect big things from him this season, I really like Burke/Burks/Hayward as a combination.

I don't see how Kanter gets signed. I think Enes sees himself as a much more valuable player than he has shown to this point. My guess is they just let the season play out unless somebody makes a nice offer.
Viktor Vaughn
Junior
And1: 37

Post#6 » by Viktor Vaughn » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:48 am

yeah I don't see why we'd let Burks try his hand in the market. He needs to get extended cause he's going to have a lot of attention this year I think. I mean his crossover on Kobe was trending nationally for ages, and that was just preseason. He's going to have a lot of moments where people go "oh so that's Burks?" Get him signed now before his price goes up.

Kanter I'm not too bothered about. More and more, as much as I like him, I feel like he isn't essential. If he does get his 3pt range down, his price will go up a lot, and if he gets that down with average defence, he'll be worth almost anything, but we'll have the cash so why not.

I see $28 being the most we'll spend on them, more money on Kanter cause the big man market etc.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#7 » by BudTugly » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:48 am

pickIBL wrote:What exactly has Alec "proven" yet. I get the Kanter I'm tall so pay me argument. We shall see on that one, but Alec is a guard. Personally I'd offer 28m and try to meet in the middle with a low 30s deal. If you are a hot commodity now as a guard take what you can get... especially if you are on a losing team. The worst case scenario in Evan Turner just played out.

Young players don't really have to prove anything to get paid, they just have to demonstrate talent. Burks has done that.

To my mind it's more of a gamble to allow him a season to showcase himself than to commit to whatever you think he'll accept now. Depending on what that number is of course.

My ceiling is 10m per.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Extension Predictions 

Post#8 » by StocktonShorts » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:55 am

Is like to see Alec Burks make a three pointer before even discussing an extension with him

That seems like an important skill for a shooting guard in today's NBA.
Doc Cherno
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#9 » by Doc Cherno » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:05 am

I them to both be signed for a bazillion dollars. A) Not my money and B) I want to see all the folks making huge pee pees for big contracts for either.

I think they'll both wait, actually, and likely get less than they're assuming...
House Call
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#10 » by BarneyGumble » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Alec Burks has a long ways to go if he thinks he's getting $10-$12m per year, and if there is a team out there desperate enough to actually pay him that right now....then I've got a sack of magic beans I can also send them in a trade.....
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#11 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:25 pm

It wouldn't surprise me at all if neither are extended. As a GM it is much easier to give the player and his agent a low ball, or at least Jazz friendly, offer and see if they bite (Favors did, Hayward did not). If they don't, then you have options as far as trades until the trade deadline and even get to see who you draft and the state of free agents before matching an offer from another team. Moreover, you can blame their contract on the free market, instead of you giving them too much up front in the future if it becomes an issue.

We also have to keep in mind that with the new TV contract, salaries are going to go up at least 20%-30%. So, a guy that in our mind is worth $8M per is now worth $10M, and a guy at $12M is now worth $15M. Favors' contract was reasonable to begin with, but will look like a bargain as time passes.
kebutah
Analyst
And1: 99

Post#12 » by kebutah » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:31 pm

No extension for Kanter: team and agent agree.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#13 » by AK47MVP » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Kanter again making dumb mistake. So many bad choices in his career already, when he will ever learn? He should have accepted whatever money Jazz where offering. Now he is at risk of injury, poor season, you name it. Very very doubtful that he will go Haywards way and get massive overpayment from some idiots.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#14 » by Luigi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:37 pm

I would love to get Alec Burks signed to an extension by Friday. Before he can show everyone how much he is really worth. He's good. We know it. Not a lot of other people do.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Matt007b
Sixth Man
And1: 161

Post#15 » by Matt007b » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 pm

Bad move by Kanter.. course we don't know the number he was offered but I think you take the long term contract. Huge risk if the 3's don't fall and Booker takes his minutes... :S

(not to mention injury.. )
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#16 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:24 pm

This doesn't surprise me at all.

I can't imagine that the Jazz offered him too much. Kanter has a lot to prove (can he reliably hit the outside shot, can he defend in space, can he be a net positive while on the floor- particularly as a PF) before the Jazz are willing to give him anywhere near what I imagine he is asking for. If he does show these aspects, then the Jazz will be happy to match even a large contract offer, assuming he fits within their future plans. However, if he doesn't, he will most likely be traded by the deadline as he could be useful to a team where he could play a more traditional role for his skillset.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#17 » by Paper Face » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:40 pm

Injury or benched for Gobert by December.

Not a good year to take a risk on an injury.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#18 » by pickIBL » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:54 pm

What NBA team would rebound better than Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Hamilton, and PG per minute? Talk about controlling the boards...
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#19 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:35 am

StocktonShorts wrote:Is like to see Alec Burks make a three pointer before even discussing an extension with him

That seems like an important skill for a shooting guard in today's NBA.

Burks made a three tonight. Where's his extension?
3960HOOD
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Post#20 » by 3960HOOD » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:22 pm

We paid Hayward $63 Million and IMO Burks is a better player. Burks will test the market and be offered big money, the question is do we match?

Return to Utah Jazz