Exum should start.

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Re: Exum should start. 

Post#41 » by Hoops Addict » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Dante Exum
This draft class has been favorably compared to some of the best draft classes over the last decade, and for good reason. There is significant NBA talent in this class, including players like Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker and Marcus Smart. But none of the rookies have really had a major impact so far this NBA season (as their PER ratings prove). However, we have seen encouraging flashes from several rookies, including Utah Jazz guard Dante Exum.

Exum, a 19-year-old kid from Australia, entered the 2014 NBA Draft with more questions surrounding his game than any major prospect in recent years. There just wasn’t a lot of footage of Exum playing against tough competition and so it was hard to predict what kind of impact he could have in his rookie season. What we could tell from the footage was that standing 6’6 with a 6’9 wingspan, Exum has good size to play either guard position. We also could see that he is extremely quick and though not an elite-leaper, could finish at the rim in traffic.

But at just age 19, and with little experience playing against elite opponents, many thought Exum would struggle to stay on the court because of excessive rookie mistakes and mental errors. So far, however, he has been a pleasant surprise, looking much more comfortable than expected on the floor. He is making smart, easy plays within the Jazz offense and is delivering crisp passes to teammates. Some feared that Exum would rely too much on his quick first-step to blow by opponents and get to the rim, which he can’t do as often against NBA players as he did against amateur competition. But Exum has been methodical so far, choosing select opportunities to drive to the rim, and has found success in doing so.

Also, Exum was expected to struggle shooting the ball from the perimeter, but he’s somewhat exceeded expectations from long range as well. It was apparent that Exum had put in a lot of work to improve his shooting mechanics leading up to the draft, and it looks like the work will eventually pay off. I say eventually because Exum is currently shooting just 28.6 percent from three-point range. But I am more concerned with his shooting mechanics and his confidence in his shot than his early-season shooting percentage. His shot is a work-in-progress, but I am convinced that it won’t be a weakness for him long-term like many people expected before the draft.

There are still a lot of questions surrounding Exum’s game, but I have been pleasantly surprised with the maturity that he has played with so far. He isn’t filling up the box score, but he is taking care of the ball (just 0.9 turnovers per game), moving the ball within the Jazz offense, not over relying on his athleticism, shooting the ball with confidence and playing with attention to detail defensively. The rookies have collectively gotten off to a slow start, but Exum has been the biggest surprise so far through the first few weeks of the NBA season.

– Jesse Blancarte
RaulLopez
Senior
And1: 17

Post#42 » by RaulLopez » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Exum is not ready to start, that should be obvious to anyone that is watching. He has flashes. But starters can abuse him. His body is not strong enough to go through a NBA season with major minutes. Exum will be an all NBA player one day. But he has got to get stronger. And to me that is the major thing. If Exum was stronger, I would say start him and let him learn through this. But his body would just break down to fast with his current body. Beside, we dont want to lose Trey.
The "Spanish Fly" came and went.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,983

Post#43 » by zimpy27 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:45 pm

I've been watching and i think he is a good fit now. His hand off style play fits well with a Jazz team stacked with offense. But indeed your right about the strength and fitness, he prob doesn't have the longevity for an NBA season yet.

And Trey has to go unless he wants to take a backup PG role for his career. Only way he stay is if him and Exum find a way to work together.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Rustyman
Junior
And1: 292

Post#44 » by Rustyman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:14 am

Watched the game against the Raptors. Exum has good talent, you can see it, but he shouldn't be starting until he learns how to shoot.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#45 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:30 am

Rustyman wrote:Watched the game against the Raptors. Exum has good talent, you can see it, but he shouldn't be starting until he learns how to shoot.

Our current starting PG is supposed to know how to shoot, and his percentages suck. And he can't play defense. We have a lot of offense on our starting 5 and not enough shots to go around. Take away Trey's inefficient and high volume shooting, and replace it with Exum's tentativeness and pass-first mentality, and I think we get better balance and better overall offense. And better defense too.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Rustyman
Junior
And1: 292

Post#46 » by Rustyman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:38 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Rustyman wrote:Watched the game against the Raptors. Exum has good talent, you can see it, but he shouldn't be starting until he learns how to shoot.

Our current starting PG is supposed to know how to shoot, and his percentages suck. And he can't play defense. We have a lot of offense on our starting 5 and not enough shots to go around. Take away Trey's inefficient and high volume shooting, and replace it with Exum's tentativeness and pass-first mentality, and I think we get better balance and better overall offense. And better defense too.

Will the opposition disrespect his shot though and play 4 on 5? Like I say, I can see the potential there with Exum but until he at least gets a reliable 3 pointer, the opposition are just going to play off him.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#47 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:48 am

Rustyman wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Will the opposition disrespect his shot though and play 4 on 5? Like I say, I can see the potential there with Exum but until he at least gets a reliable 3 pointer, the opposition are just going to play off him.

Probably. But He's currently shooting the three 7% better than Trey. The benefit is that he won't be shooting much from anywhere, and instead just move and distribute the ball instead of chucking a lot of shots like Burke.

If it was another team, I'd say Exum isn't ready to start. But his current lack of offense and aggressiveness might actually work better than our current PG playing bad defense and going 4-15 every other game.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#48 » by StocktonShorts » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:51 am

I'm starting to think that trying to simultaneously develop two very different point guards is a bad idea.

The Jazz should look for a veteran point guard and trade Burke. (now to go find that guy and build a trade for the Trade Trey contest).
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#49 » by The59Sound » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:14 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Rustyman wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Probably. But He's currently shooting the three 7% better than Trey. The benefit is that he won't be shooting much from anywhere, and instead just move and distribute the ball instead of chucking a lot of shots like Burke.

If it was another team, I'd say Exum isn't ready to start. But his current lack of offense and aggressiveness might actually work better than our current PG playing bad defense and going 4-15 every other game.

Bingo. I really don't want to start Exum, but the mere fact that he's willing to give up the ball makes him so much more beneficial than Trey to our offensive flow. He's also a reasonably adequate defender.

I know players are supposed to believe in themselves, but watching Trey Burke play basketball is like watching Santa Claus masturbate to a highlight reel of his most challenging chimney descents.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,838

Post#50 » by Duffman100 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:00 am

The59Sound wrote:
I know players are supposed to believe in themselves, but watching Trey Burke play basketball is like watching Santa Claus masturbate to a highlight reel of his most challenging chimney descents.

:lol: Oh man, I'm going to use that line at some point in my life.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#51 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:02 am

Duffman100 wrote:
The59Sound wrote:

:lol: Oh man, I'm going to use that line at some point in my life.

Well, 'tis (almost) the season...

Tommo1986
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#52 » by Tommo1986 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:47 am

Duffman100 wrote:
The59Sound wrote:

That is Awsome !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Post#53 » by idajazz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:46 pm

I don't see where starting Exum now hurts anything, Trey obviously isn't getting it done.
I think the Jazz will need to make a decision soon, If Exum is going to be the guy then you might as well make the switch now. I'm sure Trey isn't going to be happy and might as well get all that out of the way this yr.

I fully expect a dramatic improvement next year and the post season. would rather see this issue put to bed long before then.
RaulLopez
Senior
And1: 17

Re: Exum should start.http://cymationnasal.com/clk?cid=rgm&a 

Post#54 » by RaulLopez » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:04 pm

idajazz wrote:I don't see where starting Exum now hurts anything, Trey obviously isn't getting it done.
I think the Jazz will need to make a decision soon, If Exum is going to be the guy then you might as well make the switch now. I'm sure Trey isn't going to be happy and might as well get all that out of the way this yr.

I fully expect a dramatic improvement next year and the post season. would rather see this issue put to bed long before then.

Then you do not understand player development or team development.

It would hurt Exum. His body can not take 30 minutes a game. He would break down and probably have a major injury. Add to that, he would not be leaning the game the right way, as he would be going against the top players on the other team and destroying his confidence and decision making.

And it would hurt the team. The Jazz have guys that hate to lose and starting Exum would lead to many more loses. They you lose guys. Then you lose the coach.

Starting Exum has to be one of the stupidest things I have even seen on this board!!!!!!!!!
The "Spanish Fly" came and went.
idajazz
Analyst

Re: Exum should start.http://cymationnasal.com/clk?cid=rgm&a 

Post#55 » by idajazz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:08 pm

RaulLopez wrote:
idajazz wrote:I don't see where starting Exum now hurts anything, Trey obviously isn't getting it done.

It would hurt Exum. His body can not take 30 minutes a game. He would break down and probably have a major injury. Add to that, he would not be leaning the game the right way, as he would be going against the top players on the other team and destroying his confidence and decision making.

And it would hurt the team. The Jazz have guys that hate to lose and starting Exum would lead to many more loses. They you lose guys. Then you lose the coach.

Starting Exum has to be one of the stupidest things I have even seen on this board!!!!!!!!!

Why does starting him require 30 + min?
Why would playing against top talent hurt? I don't buy that argument at all. I believe that a young player with his talent level will actually benefit and learn more by playing against the best.
NOBODY made that argument last year with Treyd, whats the difference? For years everybody on this board whined and complained about Sloan and then Corbin not playing rookies, People were going nuts when Deron was riding pine. Now with Exum it is just backasswards. It is flat out dumb to say that it will hurt his confidence, if he is that fragile :roll: he shouldn't be in the NBA.
idajazz
Analyst

Post#56 » by idajazz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:16 pm

It would hurt Exum. His body can not take 30 minutes a game. He would break down and probably have a major injury.

What? :roll: :crazy: :nonono: :banghead: That has got to be the dumbest thing ever said on this board.
I might buy that for an older guy on the last yr or 2 of his career.
Maybe the Military should be made aware of this, all those normal everyday sort of guys going through training are probably going to get hurt.
I'm heading to the high school as soon as I post this to have a chat with my sons wrestling coach. :nod:
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#57 » by KDBG » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:44 pm

StocktonShorts wrote:I'm starting to think that trying to simultaneously develop two very different point guards is a bad idea.

The Jazz should look for a veteran point guard and trade Burke. (now to go find that guy and build a trade for the Trade Trey contest).

I've been saying this since we drafted Exum. The cons certainly outweigh the pros having two inexperienced, developing youngsters quarterbacking your team, while they simultaneously compete for the same job as the present, and future PG of the Jazz. You can see it in Trey's body language that he knows he's kind of in limbo with this franchise, and it's having a huge negative impact on his play this season. Having a veteran PG come in and replace Trey would benefit everyone involved.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:45 pm

KDBG wrote:
StocktonShorts wrote:I'm starting to think that trying to simultaneously develop two very different point guards is a bad idea.

I've been saying this since we drafted Exum. The cons certainly outweigh the pros having two inexperienced, developing youngsters quarterbacking your team, while they simultaneously compete for the same job as the present, and future PG of the Jazz. You can see it in Trey's body language that he knows he's kind of in limbo with this franchise, and it's having a huge negative impact on his play this season. Having a veteran PG come in and replace Trey would benefit everyone involved.

I've stopped trying to look at Trey's body language since that one time.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#59 » by KDBG » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:57 pm

StocktonShorts wrote:I've stopped trying to look at Trey's body language since that one time.

LOL. I actually had to think for a second what you meant by that. Then all of a sudden the haunting image of Trey's dong popped in head. I thought I had that image destroyed permanently from my brain. Unfortunately, my subconscious decided to keep that stored somewhere. Ew.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:04 pm

KDBG wrote:
StocktonShorts wrote:I've stopped trying to look at Trey's body language since that one time.

LOL. I actually had to think for a second what you meant by that. Then all of a sudden the haunting image of Trey's dong popped in head. I thought I had that image destroyed permanently from my brain. Unfortunately, my subconscious decided to keep that stored somewhere. Ew.

Sorry about that.

Return to Utah Jazz