Official Utah Jazz Trade Ideas Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#701 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:57 pm

He should be the sixth man and destroy second units and allow Harden to get a little rest.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: Official Utah Jazz Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#702 » by pickIBL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:56 am

You don't want Lawson around Exum. Okay, I get it. But what about Huertas? He's a much better floor general than Neto. What's the matter with him?
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#703 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:03 am

Hate to break it to you, but the Jazz aren't signing anyone else. You can only have a maximum of 15 players.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#704 » by pickIBL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:06 am

KqWIN wrote:Hate to break it to you, but the Jazz aren't signing anyone else. You can only have a maximum of 15 players.

I count 12 guys with a 100% chance of making the roster right now.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#705 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:30 am

Yeah, the Jazz have a lot of guys on partially-guaranteed and non-guaranteed deals. That's hardly the same thing as having a full roster of committed money.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#706 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:38 am

pickIBL wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Hate to break it to you, but the Jazz aren't signing anyone else. You can only have a maximum of 15 players.

I count 12 guys with a 100% chance of making the roster right now.

12 with 100% chance, Millsap with 95% chance. Most teams carry 14. Cotton, Johnson, and Cooley are going to compete for that last spot. At this point, the Jazz cannot promise playing time to anyone else. You're asking an established overseas player to go to camp without a role or a roster spot.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#707 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:00 am

That being said, you can also trade someone for an asset an open up a spot. I just don't see that happening either. Internal development counts for Trey too.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#708 » by pickIBL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:45 pm

KqWIN wrote:That being said, you can also trade someone for an asset an open up a spot. I just don't see that happening either. Internal development counts for Trey too.

treyding him would be internal development
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#709 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:00 pm

pickIBL wrote:
KqWIN wrote:That being said, you can also trade someone for an asset an open up a spot. I just don't see that happening either. Internal development counts for Trey too.

treyding him would be internal development

I don't think Trey is going to be in the league after his rookie contract, but the FO is going to give him a shot. One of two things needs to happen: 1) the Jazz give him away for nothing or 2) a team gives up something. Neither are realistic possibilities.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#710 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:35 pm

For the record, I do think Trey Burke is a sunk cost and that the Jazz have not and will not get a fair return on all the effort and playing time invested into his development. I just can't see DL giving him away for nothing. There's a big difference between what I think they should do and what they'll actually do. If it were up to me, I would have paid Jeremy Lin and then do my best to give Trey away. The Jazz had plenty of opportunities to upgrade the PG and have chosen to do nothing done nothing. That demonstrates a commitment to Dante and Trey loud and clear.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#711 » by pickIBL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:48 am

KqWIN wrote:For the record, I do think Trey Burke is a sunk cost and that the Jazz have not and will not get a fair return on all the effort and playing time invested into his development. I just can't see DL giving him away for nothing. There's a big difference between what I think they should do and what they'll actually do. If it were up to me, I would have paid Jeremy Lin and then do my best to give Trey away. The Jazz had plenty of opportunities to upgrade the PG and have chosen to do nothing done nothing. That demonstrates a commitment to Dante and Trey loud and clear.

Better to swallow your pride and open a spot up for a stabilizer that can actually run a team.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#712 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:53 am

pickIBL wrote:
KqWIN wrote:For the record, I do think Trey Burke is a sunk cost and that the Jazz have not and will not get a fair return on all the effort and playing time invested into his development. I just can't see DL giving him away for nothing. There's a big difference between what I think they should do and what they'll actually do. If it were up to me, I would have paid Jeremy Lin and then do my best to give Trey away. The Jazz had plenty of opportunities to upgrade the PG and have chosen to do nothing done nothing. That demonstrates a commitment to Dante and Trey loud and clear.

Better to swallow your pride and open a spot up for a stabilizer that can actually run a team.

I agree. While it shouldn't, pride is always a factor. Trading two first round picks for a guy and then proceeding to trade him for two second round picks (at best) just two years later is embarrassing. Lindsey doesn't want to do it even if he should. That being said, he was the one that drafted him. I know that Ty Corbin factored into the decision but it's naive to think that other members, especially Lindsey, were not ecstatic about drafting Trey. They saw something in him then, so they probably still see something in him today. If anyone were to have faith in Trey it would be the people who invested so much into him.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#713 » by pickIBL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:57 am

KqWIN wrote:
pickIBL wrote:

I agree. While it shouldn't, pride is always a factor. Trading two first round picks for a guy and then proceeding to trade him for two second round picks (at best) just two years later is embarrassing. Lindsey doesn't want to do it even if he should. That being said, he was the one that drafted him. I know that Ty Corbin factored into the decision but it's naive to think that other members, especially Lindsey, were not ecstatic about drafting Trey. They saw something in him then, so they probably still see something in him today. If anyone were to have faith in Trey it would be the people who invested so much into him.

If I **** up or the management team Fs (myself, someone else, or the group) up at work we cut our losses asap and move on. Money is more important than ego. winning is also more important than ego.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#714 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:12 am

pickIBL wrote:If I **** up or the management team Fs (myself, someone else, or the group) up at work we cut our losses asap and move on. Money is more important than ego. winning is also more important than ego.

I don't think it's any secret that I've been critical of how much of a leash Trey has had. It's one of the few gripes I had with Quin last year. He put too much faith in Trey and not enough accountability. Trey had a historically bad season last year. That should matter more than him being a top 10 pick, but it's clear that it does not. Draft position shouldn't matter but Trey wears it like armor. I really hope I'm wrong, but there's not much to suggest I am.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#715 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:28 am

KqWIN wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
That being said, he was the one that drafted him. I know that Ty Corbin factored into the decision but it's naive to think that other members, especially Lindsey, were not ecstatic about drafting Trey. They saw something in him then, so they probably still see something in him today. If anyone were to have faith in Trey it would be the people who invested so much into him.

This part I have to respectfully disagree with. If you go back and watch the interview where Trey was introduced to the team DL said several times how this was Ty's pick. And I clear as day remember thinking while the interview was going on that it was obvious that DL was passive in this acquisition. You could just see it on his face. I'm willing to bet that was a time where he let members in the room (TY and others) have more say than usual. I felt then, and it's even clearer now, that DL probably made a very calculated decision to let other people sorta make a pick with the thought that he knew Trey might not be good, but people would not question him after it was obvious he
was right. Those were the feelings I had when I watched it back then, and I didn't expect Trey to bust. I was hoping for 80% Chris Paul. So, his demeanor and way he talked stood out to me. It just seemed obvious he wasn't all that pumped on Trey and was deflecting the pick on Ty. Couple years later and it seems obvious to me that he knew what he was doing then as well.

Yes I realize that's a lot to take away from one player introduction. But it stood out in my mind. It was really strange and seemed very obvious to me. Maybe I'm wrong though. But I'm usually pretty good at picking up subtle things like that.

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#716 » by pickIBL » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:29 am

If the FO let Ty make the decision (he's coaching pro ball not scouting NCAA and Europe) then that's a boneheaded move as well.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#717 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:45 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
pickIBL wrote:

This part I have to respectfully disagree with. If you go back and watch the interview where Trey was introduced to the team DL said several times how this was Ty's pick. And I clear as day remember thinking while the interview was going on that it was obvious that DL was passive in this acquisition. You could just see it on his face. I'm willing to bet that was a time where he let members in the room (TY and others) have more say than usual. I felt then, and it's even clearer now, that DL probably made a very calculated decision to let other people sorta make a pick with the thought that he knew Trey might not be good, but people would not question him after it was obvious he
was right. Those were the feelings I had when I watched it back then, and I didn't expect Trey to bust. I was hoping for 80% Chris Paul. So, his demeanor and way he talked stood out to me. It just seemed obvious he wasn't all that pumped on Trey and was deflecting the pick on Ty. Couple years later and it seems obvious to me that he knew what he was doing then as well.

Yes I realize that's a lot to take away from one player introduction. But it stood out in my mind. It was really strange and seemed very obvious to me. Maybe I'm wrong though. But I'm usually pretty good at picking up subtle things like that.

Ty Corbin pushed for that move, but Dennis Lindsey made the move. If we know anything about Lindsey, it's that he leaves no stone unturned. Ty was part of the decision, but it was not the only factor. Lindsey considers everything. He and the scouting staff did extensive research on Trey just like every other prospect.

It's not like it came out of left field. Trey was the consensus top PG in that draft and he was expected to go much higher. I would have done the exact same thing. Hindsight is 20/20.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#718 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:51 am

pickIBL wrote:If the FO let Ty make the decision (he's coaching pro ball not scouting NCAA and Europe) then that's a boneheaded move as well.

I don't disagree. DL has said at times how he listens to everyone, and uses all inputs. It was Ty's last year. I just think he saw the long game and probably used this as his "don't question me move". If Trey panned out, so what, he knew Ty would be gone. If he doesn't, he looks like he knows what he was talking about. Plus they were targeting Gobert and got him.

Again, maybe I'm wrong. But that's the impression I got when I watched his introduction. And in retrospect if im accurate in what I think happened, it was a very calculated smart move for DL (not necessarily the organization).

It probably makes all the moves he wants to do that much easier now.

Again, I could be wrong. Id love for others to watch and see if they get the same vibe.

reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#719 » by reapaman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:22 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Ty Corbin pushed for that move, but Dennis Lindsey made the move. If we know anything about Lindsey, it's that he leaves no stone unturned. Ty was part of the decision, but it was not the only factor. Lindsey considers everything. He and the scouting staff did extensive research on Trey just like every other prospect.

It's not like it came out of left field. Trey was the consensus top PG in that draft and he was expected to go much higher. I would have done the exact same thing. Hindsight is 20/20.

Like I said before, I can definitely tell that Lindsey and the FO did their due diligence and extensive research on Gobert, but I'm pretty sure they didn't with Burke. I firmly believe the FO got swooped up in the hype around Burke and just went with the notion that whole we "needed" a pg thing and since that draft was deemed to be terrible, we minus well just settle on getting whoever is the top rated pg if we can get him which was possible since other teams didn't highly value that draft. I mean just listen to Lindsey talk about Burke after they picked him ... it was like he was talking about a completely different player and he was just quoting what everyone else was saying about him based on his tournament play. A matter of fact in the interviews he did with Corbin, Corbin did most of the talking about Burke and Lindsey went on and on about Gobert ... which should tell you all you need to know. It shouldn't take anyone more than one game to realize Burke was destined to be a inefficient chucker that can't play defense.

Like I said before that draft, the FO appeared to be winging it and clearly didn't have a plan. The Burke pick was always idiotic and Lindsey and company should never live that down. With that said, Exum appeared a pick he was all in on and his way of righting the wrong that was drafting Burke although it never will.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#720 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:02 pm

If Lindsey did not do extensive research on a guy he traded up for that is absolutely pathetic. To me it's completely unreasonable to think that Lindsey, especially given his background, would not do extensive research on a player he traded up for. Dennis Lindsey does more extensive research players than just about anyone else in the NBA. That characteristic defines Lindsey as a GM. He does extensive research on hundreds of prospects each draft, yet somehow he doesn't research Trey Burke? That doesn't add up.

Ty Corbin helped make the decision, that's a fact, but the notion that Dennis Lindsey had no idea what he was doing or that he did not do extensive research on Trey Burke is just ridiculous. Ty Corbin does not have the power of Vivek.

Return to Utah Jazz