Official Utah Jazz Trade Ideas Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Bullet
Junior
And1: 18

Re: Official Utah Jazz Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#341 » by Bullet » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:53 pm

Jazz needs upgrades at the wing, backup PG and backup PF to contend next year.

I'd personally want any of Kevin Martin, Andre Iguodala or Luol Deng.

A. Trey for K-Mart
Cap-friendly contract and Minny needs to free minutes at the wings for Wiggins and Muhammad. Though Flip said they want to keep Martin to mentor young guys, they have KG for that now. They'll have a PG prospect in Trey, who they've seen explode in games against them. Why K-Mart? Good complement to Hayward and Burks; if we can get by with Jingles, then K-Mart is definitely an upgrade.

B. Booker for Iggy
Iguodala's minutes are slipping, with his FGA down to 6 a game. Prime candidate to get moved (along with Lee) because GSW needs cap relief to sign Draymond Green to an extension. Booker's contract is non-guaranteed for next year, iirc.

C. Package for Deng
I don't know what the Heat might want for Deng, especially since their future is murky right now; impending contract extension for Dragic, injuries to Bosh and McRoberts. And Deng has a player option for next year... If he doesn't pick it up, then this all might be moot.

Then sign Gary Neal in FA and see who might be available at PF.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#342 » by pickIBL » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:38 am

With Favors and Gobert, Lee would have to come off the bench. That would make Lee and older disgruntled Kanter.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#343 » by BudTugly » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:39 am

I'm coming around to just standing pat for the most part. Hood and Burks might be good enough that we don't need a wing. I think we're good depth wise with Jingles and lil' Sap. Just need an end of bench center.

If there is still a problem on the roster I'm sorry to say it's probably my boy Trey. I can see them just as easily trying to move him while there is still some mystery or letting him play it out another year. If they do get rid of him they will be looking for a less traditional PG since so many of the wings are ball handlers.

$.02
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#344 » by Wolverine » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:39 am

I'm all for standing. A year more experience, Alec back, Tomic, Neto & our new picks. We have depth everywhere.
Primetime_
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#345 » by Primetime_ » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:59 am

Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#346 » by Tom349 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:36 am

Not sure where to put it but there's some highlights of Neto in this video:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxQu6yxVB_Y[/youtube]

Do fellow Jazz fans think he could be Exum's back up?
Last edited by StocktonShorts on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed to embedded clip
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,983

Post#347 » by zimpy27 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:48 pm

I'd be trading Burke and Burks if I were the Jazz.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#348 » by stitches » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:13 am

zimpy27 wrote:I'd be trading Burke and Burks if I were the Jazz.

Burks was just starting to improve when he got injured, it took some time for some of our players to show improvements, but it seems like Quin is indeed amazing at developing young talent. I would be willing to give Burks one more healthy year under Snyder and see if he improves. At the very least he'd be a great 6th man. Not willing to give up on him, yet... On the contrary, I feel like that would be short-sighted.
millslapper
Senior
And1: 332

Post#349 » by millslapper » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:55 pm

give Burks a chance to improve under Snyder. And NO NO NO to non defending bigs like Lee. Not for 10 Minutes. I hope Tomic is not a bad defender.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#350 » by StocktonShorts » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:17 am

Tom349 wrote:Do fellow Jazz fans think he could be Exum's back up?

It seemed like Neto was keen to come over this year but the Jazz said "not yet." That's my recollection, anyway. I expect we'll see him in a Jazz uniform next year.

I also would not be surprised at all to see Burke traded this off-season.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,983

Post#351 » by zimpy27 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:19 am

stitches wrote:

Burks was just starting to improve when he got injured, it took some time for some of our players to show improvements, but it seems like Quin is indeed amazing at developing young talent. I would be willing to give Burks one more healthy year under Snyder and see if he improves. At the very least he'd be a great 6th man. Not willing to give up on him, yet... On the contrary, I feel like that would be short-sighted.

It's not him that's the problem it's his $10M for 4 years that is the issue.. I think the way he plays is prone to injury and I think while he still has upside it's worth cutting him loose now. Jazz have to re-sign everybody by the time his 4 seasons are up.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
stitches
RealGM

Post#352 » by stitches » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:21 am

zimpy27 wrote:
stitches wrote:

It's not him that's the problem it's his $10M for 4 years that is the issue.. I think the way he plays is prone to injury and I think while he still has upside it's worth cutting him loose now. Jazz have to re-sign everybody by the time his 4 seasons are up.

Why not see what we have in him before we decide to get rid off him? The salary cap is a non issue with keeping players since we can go over it for resigning our own players. BTW his value after a season-ending injury is definitely on the low right now.

DL has said that the Millers have given permission for the team to spend anything up to the luxury tax. I think if we are contending they'd bite the bullet for a season and two and would allow them to go over if need be. That said, the projected salary cap for 2017-2018 under the new CBA is projected to be around 94M and the projected luxury tax limit at about 110M. The numbers are 99M and 115M for 2018-2019. We can sign Gobert, Favors, Exum and Hayward to 20-25M deals and still be under the luxury limit with Burks still on the books. His contract is not a big deal... in the last year of it, it will be 11.5% of the salary cap and less than 10% of the luxury tax limit. That's the equivalent of a 7.2M contract right now.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#353 » by Tom349 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:24 pm

First round pick to Chicago for Tony Snell and their first round picks which turns into say Tyus Jones or Delon Wright.

Who says no?
jvovk22
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#354 » by jvovk22 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Tom349 wrote:First round pick to Chicago for Tony Snell and their first round picks which turns into say Tyus Jones or Delon Wright.

Who says no?

If it's our own pick - I would say no from Utah. Snell would be a backup wing in the Hood/Burks/Hayward rotation. Moving down in the draft for a backup wing just doesn't seem worth it.

That being said - there has been some fascination with Snell in Utah's fanbase lately which I simply don't get. He really isn't that good imo. So I might be biased here

EDIT: Try to get Tomic as the backup 5, see what PG's are available for a combination of Burke/GSW 1st/OKC 1st and pull the trigger if anyone good is attainable, draft Oubre who is projected to go right around where our pick will end up.

Unless any great opportunities come up - that would be a decent, if unspectacular offseason
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#355 » by sipclip » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Tom349 wrote:First round pick to Chicago for Tony Snell and their first round picks which turns into say Tyus Jones or Delon Wright.

Who says no?

From a value standpoint I think it is a good trade for us but the problem is that with Hayward, Burks and Hood there isn't a big need for Snell. There is also a big drop off in this draft from the lottery to around 20 where the bulls pick would be. I would rather get a rookie on a new 4yr contract that may not contribute right away but will step in to the rotation in the next year or 2 when this team is ready to really compete in the west. Right now I am hoping that Cauley Stein or Oubre are there when we pick.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#356 » by DanTown8587 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:07 pm

Hey guys, I'm not coming here to trash anything, just get an accurate judge of what the Jazz feel is their need. Under these assumptions

- Jazz finish 12th pick
- Bulls have the 19-21st pick

Taj Gibson
Bulls pick

for

Trevor Booker
Trey Burke
Jazz pick

Thoughts? Thanks guys, trying to not be too "homerish" so if Burke or Booker means more to the Jazz than that (or they have a huge affinity for their own pick this year) I can understand, I just figured Utah would rather have a rotation quality player over another young body considering how many guys under 25 they already have.

Thanks.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#357 » by DanTown8587 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Who says no?

Gar Foreman isn't going to trade Tony Snell (who he personally values quite highly) to move up 7 or 8 spots. It's not bad value, just not something Chicago would probably entertain.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#358 » by reapaman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:57 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:Hey guys, I'm not coming here to trash anything, just get an accurate judge of what the Jazz feel is their need. Under these assumptions

- Jazz finish 12th pick

Taj Gibson
Bulls pick

for

Trevor Booker
Trey Burke
Jazz pick

Thoughts? Thanks guys, trying to not be too "homerish" so if Burke or Booker means more to the Jazz than that (or they have a huge affinity for their own pick this year) I can understand, I just figured Utah would rather have a rotation quality player over another young body considering how many guys under 25 they already have.

Thanks.

Well our #1 priority is to improve our shooting. Walt Perrin (Jazz Vice president of Player personnel) recently stated that the Jazz have some guys in this NBA draft that they have targeted to bring in as a shooter and are prepared to move up in the draft if they have to. So the Jazz seem to be fine with bringing in more young guys which is the right move.

For that reasoning, I would say Taj is not what were looking for. He will be 30 in June and we are still a ways off from being a legit title contender despite all the excitement over our future. We need to take things slowly and not rush anything, we can fill out the rotation with experienced vets later.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
stitches
RealGM

Post#359 » by stitches » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:05 am

DanTown8587 wrote:Hey guys, I'm not coming here to trash anything, just get an accurate judge of what the Jazz feel is their need. Under these assumptions

- Jazz finish 12th pick

Taj Gibson
Bulls pick

for

Trevor Booker
Trey Burke
Jazz pick

Thanks.

Booker is a cheaper Taj Gibson, who seems to be content with his role. Would Gibson be content with playing 15-18 minutes a game? I kind of don't see the point of getting a slightly better version of what we already have and paying more for it, and the price for it being 2 real assets. Trey Burke is actually an asset because of his contract.

So in theory this trade doesn't do anything for us but marginally improve our bigs-rotation, while giving away 10 spots in the draft and wasting another asset in Burke.

Gibson is not worth that to us, especially if we are going to play him less than 20 minutes a game next season.

As somebody else pointed out, the indications from our FO and player personnel guys are that we will be looking for shooting and offence-creation in the draft or in trade/free agency.
Knickjames
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#360 » by Knickjames » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:20 am

New York knicks #1 pick, Tim Hardway jr, cleanthanony early,

For

Gordon Hayward and Derrick favors?

Return to Utah Jazz