Game 47: Golden State Warriors ( 36-7 ) @ Utah Jazz ( 16-30 )

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: Game 47: Golden State Warriors ( 36-7 ) @ Utah Jazz ( 16-30 ) 

Post#21 » by pickIBL » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:02 pm

Tom349 wrote:
Would I be around the mark with opinion on the players? Also if we were to draft Hezonja and brought over Tomic what compensation would we be looking at?

Also I wonder if Ingles would help in getting the barca players to commit seeing as he spent a few seasons there (not sure if much of their current players were there though).

Sorry for all the questions. Relatively knew to the whole NBA and how international transactions work.

Tomic's body is night and day compared to when he is drafted. He was a stick. He now holds his own at 7'2 265 (wait til Gobert gets there). His rebounding per minute is rather impressive and drastically improved. He also alters and blocks shots on the defensive end now. He's doing a rather good job of that in Euroleague of using his length on a per minute basis. A Tomic/Gobert rotation kinda just makes sense. Like Mirotic we are talking MLE money with no buyout at all this summer.

Satoransky has better tools on both sides of the ball than Trey obviously. You can call him a combo in the good sense of the word, because he can guard both slots, but has the passing and handling to run the show (which he prefers to do). He finishes his 2s at a 65 percent rate, so he is looking to get to the rim.

With Teo you want him on guards not long players. For a PG Milos has good size and actually moves pretty well laterally. His problem is what you hear about with a lot of guys... defending the pick. He can hold his own, but you definitely would want a lot of communication out on the floor. If I was a big I'd be screaming at him to protect him and keep him in the play personally. But that's true with any guard.

I like Abrines as a future NBA role player, and I like Thomas too for a rotation role off the bench.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
HawaiianJazzFan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#22 » by HawaiianJazzFan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:03 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Kinda OT, but Whiteside has 21 rebounds in 22 minutes (also 16 points) and the game isn't over yet. Whit-sanity. Or something. Crazy.

Whiteside is no doubt a good rebounder, but he is on the WORST rebounding team in the NBA. The Heat are terrible so it is much easier for him to get a ton of rebounds (actually since he has been playing they have moved up a few spots). If you put Rudy, Favors or Kanter on that Heat team, they'd have a TON of rebounds too. Utah, is a top 2 rebounding team in the NBA, there is no way he is grabbing that many boards on this team. I have definitely been impressed with his ability to score though.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,470

Post#23 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:08 pm

HawaiianJazzFan wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Kinda OT, but Whiteside has 21 rebounds in 22 minutes (also 16 points) and the game isn't over yet. Whit-sanity. Or something. Crazy.

Whiteside is no doubt a good rebounder, but he is on the WORST rebounding team in the NBA. The Heat are terrible so it is much easier for him to get a ton of rebounds (actually since he has been playing they have moved up a few spots). If you put Rudy, Favors or Kanter on that Heat team, they'd have a TON of rebounds too. Utah, is a top 2 rebounding team in the NBA, there is no way he is grabbing that many boards on this team. I have definitely been impressed with his ability to score though.

And block shots too... Triple-double with blocks. That's redonk.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#24 » by pickIBL » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:09 pm

HawaiianJazzFan wrote: Utah, is a top 2 rebounding team in the NBA.

Shumpert can provide some perimeter defense and rebounds well per minute at the 2 guard spot. 6'5.5 with a 6'9.5 wingspan (42 inch max vert). He could find a role in Utah next year. An alternative to Lance... cheaper... more of a role player mentality.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#25 » by stitches » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:26 pm

pickIBL wrote:
Tom349 wrote:
Would I be around the mark with opinion on the players? Also if we were to draft Hezonja and brought over Tomic what compensation would we be looking at?

Also I wonder if Ingles would help in getting the barca players to commit seeing as he spent a few seasons there (not sure if much of their current players were there though).

Sorry for all the questions. Relatively knew to the whole NBA and how international transactions work.

Tomic's body is night and day compared to when he is drafted. He was a stick. He now holds his own at 7'2 265 (wait til Gobert gets there). His rebounding per minute is rather impressive and drastically improved. He also alters and blocks shots on the defensive end now. He's doing a rather good job of that in Euroleague of using his length on a per minute basis. A Tomic/Gobert rotation kinda just makes sense. Like Mirotic we are talking MLE money with no buyout at all this summer.

I think you are overselling his defense. From the limited games I've seen of him this season, he still gets overpowered or outmaneuvered in the post and he RARELY blocks shots. He has 0.6 blocks per game this season which is comparable to Enes and completely unacceptable for 7'2 center . I think his defense is quite possibly as much of a liability as Enes'. But I'm on the record saying that I prefer us bringing him over than signing Enes to a crazy contract. It makes much more sense to pay 5-6 per year for Tomic than to pay Enes 12M+. And something that's I think is important and underrated - Tomic passes and passes well. I feel like passing is going to be extremely important for our bigs in the next several years.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,562

Post#26 » by dautjazz » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:34 pm

JazzMatt13 wrote:AMAZING. Defense was solid. I loved every minute of this. They said Durant and Westbrook played enough games to justify an all-star slot. Yeah they got the stats, but so does Hayward.

Durant only played 21 games this season. Jazz are 11-11 in last 22. Since Durant they are 12-10. Yet they say Durant is having an All-Star season.......................blah.

Outside the 6 more ppg, Durant and Hayward are having equal seasons, and Hayward has played TWICE as many games. Haywards steals a game equal out Durants blocks a game. Their assists are equal, and Durant has a few more rebounds.

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/? ... =PTS&dir=1" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

According to this list of guys 19-4-4, Gordon Hayward and Damien Lilard are the only guys NOT on All-Star team who are the leaders of their team. Not to mention, those two are among five guys who haven't missed a ton of games.

WOW I knew they were playing better, but didn't know that. :o

Utah has actually beat San Antonio (w/o Leonard), the Bulls, Warriors, Cavs (healthy), Grizzlies and Suns this year.Gotta love the future. :-)
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#27 » by pickIBL » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:35 pm

stitches wrote:I think you are overselling his defense. From the limited games I've seen of him this season, he still gets overpowered or outmaneuvered in the post and he RARELY blocks shots. He has 0.6 blocks per game this season which is comparable to Enes and completely unacceptable for 7'2 center . I think his defense is quite possibly as much of a liability as Enes'. But I'm on the record saying that I prefer us bringing him over than signing Enes to a crazy contract. It makes much more sense to pay him 5-6 per year for Tomic than to pay Enes 12M+. And something that's I think is important and underrated - Tomic passes and passes well. I feel like passing is going to be extremely important for our bigs in the next several years.

Really good Euroleague teams protect their stars in the much less important (low level) non euro-league games. Tomic is a guy they need to step up in the Euroleague. In those games he plays 23 minutes (out of 40) while pulling down 7.5 boards and 1.1 blocks. And that's a big time improvement. He's 4th overall in Euroleague rebounds and could be tops on a per minute basis. He's 10th in blocks.
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Post#28 » by DiscoLives4ever » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:46 pm

dautjazz wrote:
JazzMatt13 wrote:AMAZING. Defense was solid. I loved every minute of this. They said Durant and Westbrook played enough games to justify an all-star slot. Yeah they got the stats, but so does Hayward.

Durant only played 21 games this season. Jazz are 11-11 in last 22. Since Durant they are 12-10. Yet they say Durant is having an All-Star season.......................blah.

Outside the 6 more ppg, Durant and Hayward are having equal seasons, and Hayward has played TWICE as many games. Haywards steals a game equal out Durants blocks a game. Their assists are equal, and Durant has a few more rebounds.

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/? ... =PTS&dir=1" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

According to this list of guys 19-4-4, Gordon Hayward and Damien Lilard are the only guys NOT on All-Star team who are the leaders of their team. Not to mention, those two are among five guys who haven't missed a ton of games.

WOW I knew they were playing better, but didn't know that. :o

Utah has actually beat San Antonio (w/o Leonard), the Bulls, Warriors, Cavs (healthy), Grizzlies and Suns this year.Gotta love the future. :-)

If the team can close out the year above .500 they'll be in the mid-30s win count. 37-45 (closing out 20-15) for the year would definitely be respectable, especially considering injuries to Alec and Rodney and the bumpy start the team had. I think this same core with a beefed up bench could definitely be a playoff team next year
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#29 » by BarneyGumble » Sun Feb 1, 2015 2:18 am

Tom349 wrote:Furthermore don't act surprised by Exum not attacking against his fellow country man Bogut at the basket.

Mini-me could be the other team's center and Exum still wouldnt attack the basket.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#30 » by JazzMatt13 » Sun Feb 1, 2015 9:57 am

If you want to be even more stunned in our last 22 games (which everyone has kind of missed)

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/? ... REB*GE*4.9" target="_blank" target="_blank

In last 22 games that were wins, since December 17th, Gordon Hayward has been 22-4.9-4.9, 51% FG, and 51% 3pt, plus he is getting 1.3 steals a game, and .5 blocks. This is ELITE, he is only a few points shy of Lebrons season average on ppg. If this was our Hayward, he would be in all-star game, and we would be a .500 team. 50% 3pt when attempting 4 a game, over 11 games.

In losses, he is pathetic, yet, among all 17-4-3 guys since Decemeber 17th, in losses, Hayward is still 2nd best 3pt%. But Hayward's numbers dip in losses, aka tougher defenses, and or schedule strength got to him.

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/? ... 7CREB*GE*3" target="_blank" target="_blank

-------
22 games, 11 Losses: (X) = playoff and current standing
@Hornets (X) .426
@Clippers (X) .688
Hawks (X) .833
Pacers .347
@Thunder .489
@Rockets (X) .688
Warriors (X) .822
@San Antonio (X) .625
@Cavs (X) .592
Celtics .356
Clippers (X) .688

7 playoff teams (not counting Thunder), 5 of those in western conference (3 of those west playoff team on road) and 1 game against best in east. 6 total road games, and between Thunder and Cavs, Jazz went 1/6 with a win on Lakers between Warriors and Spurs.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#31 » by JazzMatt13 » Sun Feb 1, 2015 10:02 am

Hayward's Elite numbers when winning:

11 wins: (X) = Playoff
@Heat (X)
@Magic
@Grizzlies (X)
Sixers
T-Wolves
@T-Wolves
@Bulls (X)
Lakers
@Bucks (X)
Nets
Warriors (X)

5, which is almost half, were against teams in playoff spots, only 2 in western conference, but seriously the 2 best in west. More importantly, 6 were on road, and to have great winning numbers on road is sign of greatness.

Return to Utah Jazz